bird fairs?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

swanwillow

bird fairs?

Post by swanwillow »

I've never been to a bird fair, and am seriously thinking of going to one on Sept 8th. Its a 4 hour drive~ish But, thats local to me :roll:

What could/would I beable to expect? I've looked at the list of vendors, and its not incredibly helpful.

Another thing is, how much money to bring :lol: Looking for different IRN mutations, and maybe at macaws or african greys, or a few cages...

LOTS and LOTS, huh? I may have to wait for the November fair, but.. anyway...
Last edited by swanwillow on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Practice proper quarantine procedures when bringing in birds (and equipment) from Bird Shows. When you get home, head straight to the showers. Put all your clothes straight into the washers as well.

While there are definitely lots of nice and affordable birds in shows, it's also a place to easily catch diseases. You could potentially get more than you bargained for.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

good advice, and I would take a credit card .. but thats just me .. lol
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

dont forget to take a carry box or 3 or 4.and lots of money.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Depending on the show it can be nice to go. The show near my house every year is very well run and all birds must have a vet certificate and be checked by the show vet before entering the building. Now this doesn't mean that sometimes, I think some of the birds look rough. But being at a show and with all those people can be quiet nerve racking.

Good luck and have fun. I say you know enough to make wise choices if you are purchasing a bird.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

oohh, good advice so far! SEE? thats what I'm looking for; advice.

Since I have a back door that opens 2 feet away from the bathroom, I think I can handle sanitization procedures, and I haven't made the bird room yet.. its just a sheetrocked room, empty except for my books and a coffee table, so that would be a good quarantine-and no other birds are down wind of it via the heating system.

Keep up the advice please!
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Good idea to leave youself open for any kind of new bird. You might head there looking for a special as you said mutation and find something totally different you might fall in love with and can't live without. Who knows? You might even fall in love with a crested blue and white norwhich canary! he he he.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto