Flight Returns

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

DEEDEE

Flight Returns

Post by DEEDEE »

Out on the garden to day, George & Mildred were quite content to sit in the Sun until, George decided to stretch his wings and hey Presto they worked, he went 10 yards but luckily could not gain any height. Happy it was to day and not next week or it might have been a different ending. Remember people if in doubt keep them in or give them a clip.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Whew !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Amen! Baby has always been without flight. I wasnt convinced a clipped bird could fly until the other day when he got spooked. He got an impressive distance and taught me... a clipped bird can fly a heck of a light further that I thought.

Like you, thank heavens it wasnt a tramatic episode. But, I sure learned that day. :cry:

That was actually the day I starting clipping Baby's ring.

Really glad for you all is well.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Lucky! You are very brave taking them outside. I envy those that can!

Gosh, I really want to take Yoda outside. But I'm just not trusting enough yet and I suspect Yoda doesn't trust me that much either at the moment. I dont think my 2 will get a taste of the outside world. Jibby loves to sit outside in the cage and we've had a few family bbqs at mums with him soaking up some sun in his cage. But I'm afraid thats all they will get as I worry too much about them flying away but then, don't we all have to be cautious! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Its a risk we take and perhaps we shouldnt. My friend did ours the first time, but because they are a light bird it doesnt take as much effort as say a Cockatoo. Will have to look at it again and see if its worth letting them out again. I do not like the idea of them being locked away, I do not keep the cat under lock and key. Looks like being a trim every 4 month. because they like it outside plenty to explore.
Andreya

Post by Andreya »

Have any of you tried a flight suit or harness? I'm just wondering. I got Nigel a harness so that I could take him outside and not have to worry about him... but he's not tame enough yet to put it on. So I don't think we'll be going outside any time soon.
Andi
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Never seen any of those about
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I was temped to buy one about a year ago. But, somehow I don't think my 2 will let me put any kind of harness on them. Being stubborn and all. lol. I don't think I've heard many success stories about IRNs and flight suits. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Eek! What a scare...for you and Mikaela...honestly we need to remember that our IRNs are little birds that can get lift in the slightest of winds.

Be careful if you take your fid outside...no matter the size. They ARE built to fly...feathers clipped or not...

Dani