step up

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

donnanorm

step up

Post by donnanorm »

just some advice on moving from step up from a stick,gizmo does this fine when we hold a stick but wont come anywhere near us,its still early days only having him/her a week,but should i just let gizmo out the cage and do what he/she wants,gizmo comes and goes and out cage no problem,just cant get too close still very unsure of us.

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

what do you do with him when he steps up onto the stick ?

I would try taking him away from the cage on the stick. Try sit down with him on the stick and offer his favorite treats and play with interesting toys. See if this sparks his interest to come down the stick to your hands and play with them with you. You could even do this on a chair in front of his cage, if he wont let you move him away from the cage.

Time will show him you are not going to hurt him and his inquistiveness will eventually get the better of him. I know it's time consuming but once he begins to gain trust , things will go from there, and believe me progress is so rewarding to both the you and your fid :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

donnanorm

Post by donnanorm »

well Gizmo will fly around the room then land on the stick,i then hold him/her on the stick while talking but he/she walks as far to the end of the stick as he/she can :) theres not problem getting out of the cage,as soon as the doors open our babys flying around,when wanting food or drink will go back in no trouble.

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

This is totally a preference thing and I am sure you could tame him down just fine flighted given lots of patience and hard work, but if you really want to make good progress and would be willing to, I would clip his wings until you have him tamed down, then allow flight to grow back. This would definately make for much better bonding with you and training would be far easier.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I agree with Angie, being so young Gizmo will adjust to the wing clip quickly and the feathers will grow back. I feel it will make taming and training much easier, making Gizmo so much more reliant on you.. it is a personal call though and only you can decide if you want to clip your baby.
-Chamon-

Donna

Post by Donna »

Try tilting the stick toward the floor while the bird is on the stick. This will make the bird climb up toward your arm and evenually climb on your hand.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
donnanorm

Post by donnanorm »

by clipping Gizmos wings wouldnt that make our baby vicous,as he/she wouldnt beable to fly out of the way of us and do it own thing,My partner did suggest that but its not natural is it?

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Clipping tends to tame birds down, rather than making them mean, or meaner. Because they then know they depend on you.

Both of my birds have taught me one thing: A Clipped Bird Can Fly... and very well, at that.

There was a time I questioned that but now that my birds are over two, they have proven it to be true when spooked or excited.

As far as being 'natural', living in a house with plate glass windows and poisons, not to mention a common candle will kill your baby... none of those things are 'natural'. Its isnt about nature now or he would be in the wild. Its about safety in the home! :D

By her flying off and doing her own thing, thats what she is going to do and probably continue to do. They know we arent birds and have to be taught to trust us. Its a heck of a job working with an untamed/unclipped bird. I wouldnt have the patience! :roll:

I clip those buggers so I can work with them and they must stay with me... they have no other choice, thus bonding happens more and more everyday.
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

It will take a day or so for your baby to realise it cannot fly, but they adjust very quickly to it. Then you have the control, and she will learn to adjust and come to rely on you for things. You will have to make sure your baby has a way to climb back up to its cage, etc.

Mine became very adept at climbing up things and half flying/jumping from one thing to another to get around. They are very clever creatures.

:wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless