Fish Hobby

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

giantfoot_truck

Fish Hobby

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Is there anyone here who likes pet fish other than me?
I love pet fish especially those of cichlid and koi species, maybe anyone here also likes pet fish? We can talk about them and stuff. :)
pearl

Post by pearl »

yup i do

infact i have a 3ft tropical fish tank
with a lot of nice nice fishies in it
and i simply love it
i have
dollars
albinos
danios
gauramis
sailfin mollies
rosy barbs
tetras
black widow tetras
platties
and there are a few more which i dnt know the names of
heheeheh my hubby says i am animal crazy

:wink:
julie

Post by julie »

We have a small tank that has sword tails. We also have another tank that is not yet set up and I want to put oscars in it. My brother has jack demsey and a few other kinds of fish that I cant think of their names atm.
pearl

Post by pearl »

thats nice

before i used to have guppies and swordtails
abd they even gave baabies
heehhehe
and all the other fishes were eating the babies as they were comming out of the fishes tummies
like a fresh treat

when i came to know io kinda felt bad for them so i saved 25 babies
mix ones
and you may ask how
well i didnt have any breeding materials so i was sitting next to the tyank waiting for her to give birth and every time she does i would fish it out with a net and put it in to the bowl of water
after three hours it was over and i bet there were lot more than 25 in there but unfortunately i only managed to save that much

so then i went and bought another small tank fixed all the haeter and filter and stff
and shifted the babies
inthere
and in a few months they got quite big
then i shifted them in the big tank
and a few more months later they were not babies anymore
and wwere amazingly fast swimmers
and not to mention hunter
and i came to know this when i saw them hunting down some more babies like them
the only difference was that they were not babies anymore they were grown up fishes so they had the right to hunt and kill and eat
this way i learnt that the life crcle goes on

:roll: :roll:
giantfoot_truck

Cool, Im happy that there are some people here who also likes fish :D

I have way too much fish and its annoying to list them all, or if you really want to know just tell me, I will list them.
pearl

Post by pearl »

NAAA THATS OKAY
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL IT DOES GET ANNOYING SOMETIMES REMEMBERING ALL THE NAMES
:)
Jay

Post by Jay »

I used to breed Discus and Angels. Water changes take a lot of time to maintain the pH, cleanliness, and conductivity levels conducive to breeding so I decided to forego breeding for now. I only have one showtank left, less the substrate of course.

Here's some of my fish.

Snakeskin Discus

Pigeon Blood

Blue Diamond Discus and Peruvian Angel

Blue Diamond and Brilliant Blue with hatched babies on the breeding cone

Leopard Discus and San Merah pair

Wild-Caught Brazilian Red-Spotted Greens

Red Turquoise juvenile

Brown Nanay and Blue Diamond pair with eggs on the cone

Hatched babies

Hatched babies eating California Blackworms

Sunshine Discus

Show tank

giantfoot_truck

Hi depois, nice discus you got there.

It looks like you love discus species, anyway I have plenty pic of my fishy here : http://www.parrotcichlid.com/gallery/parrot_moo

Dont mind about the first two pic, these two are very old pic and I just use it for "link" to my video and my other gallery on flickr.com.

You can see my blood parrot feeding time video by clicking the "See Parrot_moo's new Parrot_Moovie! Click here" on the first pic.

Those are my fish in Indonesia, and here is my fish in saudi arabia:
http://www.parrotcichlid.com/gallery/pinkybloodparrot

Price of fish here in saudi is way much more expensive than in Indonesia, thats why I only have few.

Hope you enjoy it!
giantfoot_truck

Anyway I dont breed them, I raise them for fun and entertainment, but we have a common tilapia in our pond that layed a lot of egg, and many of them hatched and grow up which overcrowd our pond, and they are attacking other fish too, so I decided to release them to public pond at our compound, now our compound's pond are full of our tilapia!

When everyone is having a fishing competition at our compounds, most of the fish caught are my tilapia! Im happy to know that they actually happy living there and growing more and more.
Jay

Post by Jay »

That's an interesting story. Tilapia is one of my favorite fish especially grilled whole with tomatoes and spices.

Your fishies are beautiful. I've always wanted to breed Cichlids as well but I don't have that much time anymore to be doing daily water changes. Discus actually belong to the Cichlid family.

Right now, I'm cycling a 200-gallon saltwater reef tank and just put some Fiji live rock a couple of weeks ago. I may soon be able to put Damsels, Clownfish (Nemo), and Blue Tangs (Dory).

My father used to work in Saudi Arabia as an engineer for Aramco. As a child when we would be visiting him, I remember going across the causeway into Bahrain to visit the suqs.

I've also worked in Indonesia for awhile doing engineering consulting work at Jakarta, Surabaya, and Merak. I've had my share of eating gado-gado, nasi goreng, kambing bakar, and satay ayam at the hawker stalls in Jakarta Selatan. Yum! :D
giantfoot_truck

Yes tilapia are awesome and very tasty, they are popular food fish in indonesia, and can be cooked in many ways, tilapia are known as ikan mujair in indonesia, and its close relative, ikan nila, are also popular food fish.

Ikan means fish by the way.

Yup discus is a cichlid, they are south american cichlid just like the angelfish.

I have never been interested in setting up salt water aquarium, tons of saltwater fish are sold here in Indonesia, but Im just not interested in them, Im more into freshwater fishy, but its cool that you own one.

Yes I know aramco its one of the well known company here in saudi.

We have house in Jakarta at jatibening estate compound, are you in Indonesia right now?

If you like indonesian food, you should come and visit our restaurant here in Jeddah saudi arabia, its called "putri sriwijaya" restaurant, we have tons of menu and remember to visit if you are travelling to Jeddah! :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

Nope, I'm in California but I wish I was in Jakarta right now. I made lots of friends when I was working there and I'm planning to visit them within the next two years.

When and if I do end up in Jeddah one of these days, I'll make it a point to visit your restaurant to sample some authentic Indonesian makan enak.
Thanks for the invite :D
giantfoot_truck

Okay i think I should bring his thread back to life again since there are new member who also enjoy having pet fish!

I really want to see your fish pic please put them up on this thread or put the link to the album if there are too many pic, and then after I will show you my new fishy album. :wink:

Im looking forward for reply!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Wow really love the discus! They are a bit expensive here about $70 au each. I also like oscars. My fish tank is looking a it bare, might have to splurge on fish I think :wink: Plus in a small house with not much room so the tank is only very small :?
I used to have at one time or another angels, oscars, tetras, fantail guppies...just the popular fish really :)
bec

Post by bec »

not only do my son matty & i keep fish but we are avid members of the local aquarium society! we have an 18 inch tank with a goldfish
a2 foot with a breeding pai of fire mouth ciclids
a 3 foot guppy breeding tank
&a 4 foot community tank that is getting a bit thin it has angals, apistogramma (dwarf ciclids) bristle nose cat fish flying foxes and a few tetras both matty & i have one trophies for both our fish & our tanks within the club

i used to have oscars & i loved them dearly especialy the first on i got his name was dextor & he had so much personality it was scary we had his tank in the hall way near the front door , every time the door opened dextor would rush to the front of the tank to greet you wagging his tail :lol:
when i cleaned his tank we had a game he would attack the algea scrapper for about 2 minutes ferociuosly then i was allowed to clean his tank all my friends would watch in horror as i would shove my hand in to scrub & clean every thing (he was such a messy little pig!) then after id cleaned the tank & done the water change it was time for pats he come rushing over at top speed then stop dead right next to my hand so i could give him his belly rubs :lol: he would lean in so hard to my hand and the look of pure bliss on his face was an absloute classic infortunatly he died 2 years ago but i still have his photo up on my wall above his old tank & his trophies every time i look at oscars at the shops i get a little sad
but yep happy to talk about the finned family members any time :)
freaky

Post by freaky »

ive got a 400litre tank, with 100kilos sand, and half the local beach in. filters are pumping water round at just 1000litres an hour.

fish are 5 silver dollars, average length from nose to tail is 6inches, 2 silver sharks about 7inches long, 2 plecs, a few tiger barbs, 3 albino corys, and 2 neon tetras that have been in there for 5 years.

i need a few more fish in there, but due to the size of what ive got they need to be big. i keep looking at the piscaus cats, and fire eels at the moment.
leo

Post by leo »

yup..
i love fish...

i used to breed angel fish, discus, guppy, brazilian wild guppy, fisghting fish,and neon tetra...and also keep arowarna, flowerhorn and cat fish...

so fun, but got to forego everything since i move to new house...

but in indonesia, i breed talapia and albino and scaleless angels...(not i breed them, they breed themselves continousely...

but what i like the most is having a natural look aquarium with schooling fish runnign about...

last time i had a planted tank that supported with a verry small filter, but i dont have to change the water for 1 year,...it loks clean all the time...look like river water...just need to topup the water a bit every few months...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

iv always had fish my whole life, just normal Goldfish and a few Koi Carp, a Ghost Koi (very pretty) and a yellow Tench. they are at my mams house though in a big pond outside. im desperate to get a tropical fish tank though because its wierd not having any around. ive never had tropical and i love it! i only want a tiny one, like a foot across of something with some little little fish in and lots of plants. make it as natural looking as possible. i might see if i can get one in September, if i get a job over the summer.

heres hoping
Melika

Post by Melika »

While I was in the Dominican last year, my friend's family (I was staying with her in the DR) was staying with my family here in FL and the parents took pity on my two guppy tank, lol. Have a pleco too. So they bought some guppies and mollies. By the time I came back home, all the mollies were gone save one and most of the guppies. The mollie was eating their find and biting on the other fish. When she took a nibble on my beloved pleco she took a flush. Meanie fish. :x Ended up with just a pair of guppies, one orange delta and a fem blue fantail which, interestingly, match my room. Blue and orange. :D So all the babies have been blue and orange since then, some yellows. I'll have to get some new blood soon, we're on our third generation now. Mom is still alive. :o

They had also bought some plants, but as I do not have proper substrate or lighting for live plants, those died but left behind a lot of snails. Including what looks like a Marisa cornuarietis. The rest of them are your every day boring little snails. But I adore my Marisa. :lol:

My pleco and my snail are my favourite tank inhabitants.

Those discus and the parrot fish are gorgeous. I wanted a discus until I read about all the water changes... I know my limits. @.@
Same for marine aquariums. Doesn't stop me from doing my research on them though. Can't help building my tank and habitat in my mind. :roll:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
giantfoot_truck

Yay I really want to see pic! Please put them up here or put the link to it! PLEASEEE :D :D :D
giantfoot_truck

Okay guys I guess I will put my fish new photos here!

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Wow, you have a few fish there. :)

The second last photo looks like a they are scrambling for a group shot lol :lol: :lol:

8)
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

wow what beautiful fish! We have the standard 2 goldfish and a siamese fighter hehe... altho my boyfriend has an aquarium shop, which has some wierd and wonderful things in it ;)

i'll stick with the birds tho, i always seem to get stuck with cleaning everything, don't want to add fishtanks to that list hehe ;)
giantfoot_truck

you have a few fish there.

LOL you mean you want me to have more???? :lol: :lol: hehehe..
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

giantfoot_truck wrote:Thanks :D

you have a few fish there.

LOL you mean you want me to have more???? :lol: :lol: hehehe..

Why not!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
leo

Post by leo »

any body know endler live beared?
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
M0KAS

Post by M0KAS »

I took my reef aquarium down, the cost to run in the UK was a crazy cost (£15 or so just on electricity alone, thats around $27 to those on the other side of the pond :) ), but at he time it was a 5ftx2ftx2ft, filled with 50kg of coral sand, 120kg of live rock, countless fish, crabs (electric blues), shrimps, starfish, corals ect, there were 4x1000l/ph power heads, 2 overflows to the sump, auto top up, and wavebox.

Since taking the tank down, and having to part company with both of my blue mandarins, the place looks empty now, sorry i cant post any pics up, all the pics that i had were on my laptop, that dies, the power supply decided to incinerate 90% of it.

The tank looked best at night when all the room was dark, and the only lights that were on were the 5 moonlights ( blue light that give the tank a dark blue look)

YEas it did have tomato clownfish in there (Red nemo's lol)

this is why i miss my blue mandarins.

link to a nice image of them

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/1103/mac ... 111803.jpg

Hell was full. so I came back.....

If you have MSN add me.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Wow gorgeous colours

8)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I have a 10 gallon female betta sorority tank. I have 6 girls. I love them! so much personality and spunk. I love watching them! ^_^
Fah

Post by Fah »

I really love to take a gander at well set up tanks and displays, however I dont think I could squeeze one in anywhere, and outside ponds are almost out of the question here as the weather bounces around more than a ball does in a 5 year olds hands.
M0KAS

Post by M0KAS »

Fah wrote:I really love to take a gander at well set up tanks and displays, however I dont think I could squeeze one in anywhere, and outside ponds are almost out of the question here as the weather bounces around more than a ball does in a 5 year olds hands.

Why you dont have to go large with a tank, my first reef tank was what they call a nano reef, was only a small 30 litre thing, when I upgraded to a larger tank, that became the nursery/ hospital tank

Hell was full. so I came back.....

If you have MSN add me.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

iv got a 3ft tropical tank, a 3ft tropical marine tank, a fighting fish tank, goldfish in a pond and an axolotal. i would love koi carp but were not aloud to import them into my contry :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

sheena...maybe you could make a trip here in NSW. We have a Japanese Gardens here and they have Koi Carp. Never know, one might "accidently" jump into your bag when you are heading home. :lol: :wink: