Exciting news!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Peanut

Exciting news!

Post by Peanut »

Peanut has finially started moulting! He looks all scruffy! He's been loosing feathers like crazy. This is his first moult since we have had him. He is 1 year and 3 months old. Is that a little early to be moulting? This is the moult when some of his ring will show through right? Oh geaze, here I go again! :shock: I just am sooo excited to watch it come in! :lol:
Donna

Post by Donna »

They will go though a hard molt after breeding season is over and this is just about the right time for it. The ring will then start showing more and more with each molt sometimes up to 3 years old. Around 2 years you'll be able to see the pink ring on greens and a white ring on blues starting to come in. Was Peanut DNA sexed or are we playing the guessing game?

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

hooray for my peanut!! :) i always feel bad for the fids when they're moulting.
~the stubborn one~
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

When I first had just kai and I was waiting for his ring. I thought that after the moult there would grow back a perfect black ring. Umm :oops: lol .. this isn't the case.

Kai's ring didn't even show signs of coming after his second moult at around 2 years. It was a little after that (2 months) that he must have been loosing a few feathers (as they are replacing them all the time just not full on moutling) that I noticed a few patches of black under his beek, a month later he had pretty much all of his ring in, it happened slowly but kinda right before our eyes (if you get what i mean).

Jordan our Lutino, nothing after his first real full moult but then suddenly we noticed what looked like blood on his neck, just a small spot of red, that was the start and a month later most of his red was in. He started with the spot at around 17-18 months so not even 2 yet.

A few others said that their green's started the same way, with a spot of red on the side of the neck, others said black under the beek. So just look out for little spots of colour :wink: . Then again nothing may appear until after the next moult, at around 2.

Let us know if you spot anything :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Yes, Peanut has been DNA tested as 100% male. He already has some new feathers comeing in on his head, but I haven't spotted any sign of a ring so far. I'll keep you updated though, and take pics when it appears!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Good for little Peanut...now to see if he gets his ring this moult

Dani
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

I was grooming Peanut, and he has little black feathers popping through! He is also very sensitive :cry: I hope he feels better. Anything I can do to help?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Give him regular baths or spray baths, it will soften the sheaths and help the new feathers to come through.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Since he has started moulting he has been soaking in the water! he takes a bath like 3-4 times a day. He just sits in his water dish and soaks up the water! So I should still spray him with water also?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

nope sounds like he is doing it all for himself :wink: other than that, just keep up the fresh foods and boost the calcium for the extra feather production.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

I'm so glad that I signed in today, because I have been worrying about Prettygirl. I have been through several years of molt's with her, but it seemed to me like she was taking a very long time to get through it. I swear I could put together a whole other bird with the feathers I have vaccumed up. She got really agressive during the breeding season this year. I don't usually give her a bath unless she ask's for it, but I have been giving her one every day. She has a light green ring that appears around her neck. Peanut is very pretty. Can't wait to see pictures of him later. :)
Janice & Prettygirl
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Peanut is just soo cute, that adorable little bird.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww! Any ring yet? :D

Janice, I also replied to your other post, I hope theres nothing too serious with Prettygirl. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I got Gandalf when she was 12 weeks old and she had her first moult at around 9 months of age, all tail and body feathers and all but the two first primaries on each wing were moulted out from what we could tell.