I got a good one today!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ringneck
Site Admin

I got a good one today!

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

Just wanted to tell everyone I got bit really hard by my little monster parrot Brutus. That little turkey gave me a nasty bite today, in fact, he bit me so hard I can’t move half of my hand. Just typing this makes me cringe. Just thought I would post this and run some thoughts around for you guys.

While getting bitten, I kept thinking to myself this is why parrots go from home to home. Many owners lose their trust or take it personal. They are in shock or disbelief that their sweet little birdy could lash out on them—I know I was. And as mentioned above, they automatically remove the parrot from their house.

I’ll tell you one thing, I have been bitten by many birds and I know that when I get bit by a ringneck, I jump right back into handling them with little fear; however, this bite was different. My sweet African Grey turned into a lion in the savannah—his fangs came out and he pounced on me ready to devour any flesh he could find :wink: :twisted: LoL… :roll: :lol: :lol:

I found myself so nervous to pick Brutus back up that I had to walk out of the room and collect myself. I had so many thoughts running through my head-- How could something that I loved so much turn on me? Why did he bite me? Did I scare him? What was he thinking?

But while thinking, I had to reaffirm that though parrots are affectionate creatures, they can bite, and I guess it is something that needs to be accepted. I guess I made the mistake of trusting my parrot so much that I was in disbelief when I got bit—in a sense you could say I believed him to be humanlike. When he bit me, I did not yell and I did force him to step up without a reaction—and let me tell you….that was very difficult! :shock: LoL!!! My hand was bleeding pretty darn good! :cry: LoL!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that parrots can be so loving and if your sweet little monster ever decides to give you a nasty bite :evil: , collect yourself and don’t take it personal—parrots are parrots and they have bad days too! Maybe next time I should bite back too! LoL!!! :lol: :lol: Just kidding, my advice is to ignore it and expect the unexpected cause parrots are wild animals a few generations removed from the wild!

Till the next bite take care,

Imran Chaudhry
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Wow! what an experience.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us, so that we can keep it in our minds, just in case, for the future.

Forever vigilant and loving is a good motto for us parronts.

Thanks Imran and I hope your hand mends well.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Ouch! And that is a bad spot -- bet it feels even worse today. I admire your forbearance and hope I wiill be able to do the same if someone ever really takes a chunk out of me. I've never had a bite that wasn't becuase I was doing something (eg moving a budgie or tiel) that alarmed them. Thanks for sharing!
MCS
Donna

Post by Donna »

Imran sorry to hear you got bit. :( But your right they are still wild and they do have bad days. One of the responsablities in owning a parrot is know your going to get bit, now when and how bad is a toss up :shock: Hope it starts feeling better soon.

Donna :D
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Ouch!

I always find it funny when I am out and people ask me "Does he bite" referring usually to Datsun... my answer is always "If he wants to" because though he never has bitten me (yet) I know if he feels threatened or over excited or any number of things he could.

Thanks for that reminder Imran, we all do need to remember they are not human, they are parrots and parrots bite, chew, destroy and scream. Well a happy one will anyhow :wink: :roll: :shock: :lol:
-Chamon-

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I agree. We have such a smart bunch here. I really enjoy posting when I can and I really enjoy hearing your inputs and thoughts—thanks guys.

But I agree, we tend to baby our parrots so much, or at least I do, that I get caught up and have to remind myself that parrots are intelligent creatures that have a totally different outlook on life. Kinda makes you wonder huh? They are genetically wired to be cautious creatures because in their world they are usually the ones hunted. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Ouchie Imran!

Thats so true, We think we know them, but there is so much more to learn about these beautiful wild birds. Every parrot owner will get bit atleast sometime in there life. Its not pleasant but thats how they communitcate.

They are very cautious creatures, always watching. Its funny when they use this to their advantage. Like stealing food when your not watching or chewing on fly screens when your back in turned then when you look make it look like they just climbing down the side of the window very cautious that they don't touch the fly screen. But somehow the hole keeps getting bigger and bigger. And you wonder, are they playing me? They are very smart birdies!

Its so easy to baby them. I do it all the time. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

yeh ye neva no when a parot is just gona lash out and take out ur eye.
JUst this morning Jaws took a chunk off ma nose when i tried to give him a kiss on the beak. freeked me out, i couldnt ignore it, it was so unexpected so i cringed bak.

i dont wana sound like a wierdo but i'v had sum experiences with animals knowing how you feel eg frightened, happy, alarmed, etc.
i'v never believed in psichic powers or anything but theres no other name for it.
i'v noticed that if theres someone who wants to pat Jaws or just have him on their shoulder. il generaly tell them "be careful he can get vicious"
and of course the first thing Jaws does when he's in range is lash out and trie to take a bit of their anatomy.
but one day i was walking past my mates house and he was out the front with a bunch of japanese people(he shares his house with them)
and of course the japanese were all amazed at the bird on my shoulder. the only thing missing were the cameras. they must have left them inside...
yeh so Jaws was trying to act kwl and relaxed like a star.
and they asked if they could hold him.
this time i didn't tell them that he wud probably bite or anything i just put him on this japanese guy's hand. and Jaws didn't react at all. je didnt try to turn the guy's fingers to pulp or gouge out his eyes. he just sat there like "huh? me, yeh... i no i'm kwl!" basking in the atention.

so as a conclusion to all that pratle i'd say that it's best not to warn them that they are about to tuch a dangerous animal. if they feel nervous then the bird will probably go apeshit...
but i no that sounds like bad advice, and u guys have had birds for centuries longer than i have. thats just my opinion...

god i cant believe i went to all those lengths to explain that Jaws prefers japanese people to aussies...

PS can birds be sexist? i'v noticed that Jaws lets more boys pat him and attacks girls...(thats not saying he dusnt bite boys)