Found out what is wrong with Mrs. B and we have a new Baby

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Cindy

Found out what is wrong with Mrs. B and we have a new Baby

Post by Cindy »

Well, I took Mrs. B to the Avian Vet, she has Diabetes, rare in birds...I have to take her back next week for another glucose check....Seems Mrs. B's poor diet of mainly sunflowers seeds and cockatiel seed did her a great deal of harm. I had NO hand in her past diet, she is a rescue....However, she now get NO sunflower seeds and 2 tablespoons of seed a day...She does get all the low carb veggies and fruit she wants...I found a list on line of the low carb stuff...Mostly green veggies, peppers and berries...Very limited apples kiwi and oranges.....She still has a lot of urine.....Vet wants me to give her insulin shot to her breast twice a day...HOWEVER, I have read a great deal and talk to a number of holistic vets...Insulin in birds does not work!! See, birds who have diabetes DO produce insulin, its just that they produce a lot more glucose...Different than in people, more like cats....Plus, insulin in bird can and does put them in to diabetic shock most of the time....So NO INSULIN....I will try with diet and another drug called glipizide....Here is an article on birds and diabetes. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/diabetes.html........

NOW for the GOOD news, we have a new BLUE baby boy....Breeder friend of mine had 2 blue babies and did not have the time to keep both tame....Sooooooooo, Houdini, has come to live with us....God is he a sweet 8 month old baby....Still hand shy, but is starting to step up and does give kisses.....The best thing about him is his talking...Its like having a tape recorder in the room...He already says Houdini, Hey,Baby. Love You, Step up, Peekaboo, and a ton of things he works on for hours on end...This boy is going to be a chatter box....I just love him he is sooo sweet. barely nips....Bad habit is flying to the floor and running under the couch, then try and get him out....Pics coming soon.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Donna

Post by Donna »

Glad to see someone else besides myself going for the holistic way. These chemicals that vets like to perscibe is not good for any animal.

Congrats on the new blue baby. My Tango started talking at 8 months old and now never shuts up. I had a lady that offered me 500.00 dollars for him last week and I told her there was No amount of money I would take for him.

Donna :D
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Poor baby, hopefully now she will start feeling MUCH better. And congrats on the new bub :wink:
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Best wishes for lil Mrs B and thankyou for the info on diabetes in birds. Welcome to the flock Houdini. Sounds like a cutie. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year