Moulting in Feb?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Blue Pako

Moulting in Feb?

Post by Blue Pako »

Hey bird lovers,
I've had my IRN for almost a year. He did a partial moult in August. Today, when I came home I noticed three tail feathers had fallen out. Is it too early for him to moult? He has is own room with a window, and for the most part he follows the sun-up/sun-down schedule.

He has his wings clipped so we usually let him have the run of the room with the cage door open all day. I built him a play tree and he can climb back up if he falls off his cage. The floor is carpet, and anti-fatigue mat (exercise mat) for right under the cage to catch mess. There isn't really any possibility he could hurt himself. So I'm wondering if he fell and the feathers fell out (from the root), or if he is starting a moult. He gets lots of fruit and veggies as well as seeds - so I think his diet is not an adverse factor.

Just curious on your experiences.
AJPeter

Re: Moulting in Feb?

Post by AJPeter »

I have an Alexandrine hen and she is out all day and l have never clipped her wings, l just do understand why people clip their birds wings, but in your case l do not think it is a moult as the tail feathers are the last to go, best take your bird to an aviarian vet for an expert opinion.
Blue Pako

Post by Blue Pako »

We didn't clip him. Unfortunately, he came to us that way. Full intentions of letting his flight feather grow out. Been working out his wing muscles lately with 'pretend flying' (perched on my finger and running around then room, as he flaps his wings).

I think his tail feathers were an accident.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

A sight to be seen, hope he can fly soon, he might regrow his flight feathers during the moult
Blue Pako

Post by Blue Pako »

AJPeter wrote:A sight to be seen, hope he can fly soon, he might regrow his flight feathers during the moult
Yes, I hope so too. When I had budgies, I always let them fly around. Was disappointed his flight feathers didn't come back last August - hopefully this August they will. The ring around his neck started to come in very faintly.

He is making lots of different cartoon-ish sounds, but no words yet. He is 11 months old.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie my bird does not talk which pleases me as l think they only repeat sounds, but she whistles hoots grunt and other noises l get to know what she wants, just as she knows what l want.

Billie was out all morning, l can trust her not to chew cables, mostly she stays on her cage but when she gets really bored she flies to my chair and poops on it!

Do you have a name for him yet?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I don't think three tail feathers at once to start is a moult. I would immediately suspect he got that tail stuck in something, perhaps even somebody's hand........ Let us know if anything else develops.
-MissK
Blue Pako

Post by Blue Pako »

No further developments. Pretty sure he must have had an accident. He tends to be a bit careless with his tail. He is not even a year old, so it is probably normal for him to be that way.

He is always climbing around and exploring on his cage.

Side note: it seems the pretend flying exercises are making him a bit stronger. He hops with his wings more.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Has he stopped moulting?
Blue Pako

Post by Blue Pako »

He definitely started a moult.
I think his tail feathers fell out because being winter, with the heat on in the house, it was probably dry weakening the root, and the tail is prone to hitting things.
But, his clipped wing feathers started falling out too, and growing back, and now he can fly. I'm thrilled with that. He flies to me to hang out and when I'm eating of course. Now more of a general moult is happening... some pins on his face, and a few non-wing/tail feather are dropping.

So glad he can fly now.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sinbad's been molting for a while but Rocky has not started yet.
-MissK