NEW IRN Owner

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Shrek100

NEW IRN Owner

Post by Shrek100 »

I have two IRN Shrek and Fiona they are around 9 months old and very healthy and happy. I have read many different stories on the internet however they are saying they are an aviary bird rather than a cage bird. My cage is 51cm x 51cm x 147cm l x w x h. I do work full time and give them an hour and a half or more fly time when i arrive back in the evenings. Is this enough? Would they be best in an avairy?
Donovan

Re: NEW IRN Owner

Post by Donovan »

As much time as possible is best, and on your days off maybe you could give them even more time
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would want to see your birds in a larger cage, especially as it sounds like they are sharing that cage? If one of them is female, anecdotal evidence tells us to be on the look out for fighting once they mature. As far as keeping them in a cage while you go to work, that's just how it must be. A bigger cage is always better, and my thinking is who would not want an aviary for their birds? If you can manage an aviary, go for it!
-MissK
Shrek100

Post by Shrek100 »

Thank you very helpful. There is a chap with an aviary 5foot however will mean he takes them for good. I wont be able to have an aviary where i live. I cant bear to part with them however concerned i am doing the right thing with them living at my place. The female is shy but the male can get quite loud and pushy with her and she gets a little nervous. But then in the evening they are next to each other all the time. What is that thing they do when the male puts his foot in the air at the female and then they touch their beaks? The male trys to bit me all the time however he doesnt hurt.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. If your friend's aviary is 5 feet long, then I don't think it is really sufficient for two birds, one female, in the long run. I suggest keep the birds.

You may be able to get a different cage, or a second cage to split them if you need to. I use an HQ Double Flight cage without the divider for one bird, and it is five feet long. As cages go it was inexpensive - $250 or so. I'd like it to be bigger, but that was my compromise. If you shop the internet and second hand you may well be able to improve your cage situation on a budget.

You might also consider changing your furniture if the space is a factor. When I got my big bird cages, for instance, I parted with two much loved and fantastic china cabinets. It was worth it to me, trade dead china for live birds. Something to consider. Another thing to consider is one bigger cage - if you have to split up your birds then they could, technically, alternate days in the bigger cage.

As far as the behaviour you describe, I would have to call it Friendly. My male bird does a lot of dancing with one foot out, usually holding something. It's part of his boy bird display. He doesn't have a friend, so I don't know about the beaks.
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Oscar and Luna touch beaks all the time, but he is usually attempting to feed her.
Anywho, what Miss K said about keeping them :)
~Dana

Shrek100

Post by Shrek100 »

Thank you for your reply. I am new to this and just realised you are talking to me from the USA. Hi from sunny Buckinghamshire, England.
I have decided to keep them they are so lovely although Shrek can be very loud. I cant bear to part with them and yes the other aviary wasn't much bigger. Now they are flying around on a sunday afternoon I am quite happy with that. Wondered in regards to training. Right now they fly around the room doing their own thing. However they like to be high up and mainly sit on the curtain rail or light fixing. Where do I start?
MissK

Post by MissK »

You start by helping them understand you are the one holding the goodies and you are willing to share. :lol: :lol:

I'm betting your next question will involve getting them back in the cage, so in advance of that, use a food lure and keep well away from the action so you don't scare them from going home.

Some of us (like me and Donovan) are in USA. Many others are all over the world. It's very exciting.
-MissK