In YOUR own oppinion

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

RainbOasis

In YOUR own oppinion

Post by RainbOasis »

Well, As the subject title says: "In YOUR own oppinion". This Topic is for questions and answers of the sort- but more practical rather than asking about productive things like 'how to keep your bird cage tidy'.
Talk about your best moments with your IRN's; Your worst...How old he/she was when he started flying or even what your IRN's first word was. Just go and have fun :D
RainbOasis

Re: In YOUR own oppinion

Post by RainbOasis »

In your own oppinion. which IRN color do you prefer? I hear most prefer the blue mutation. Blue was my first IRN. But I find Albino more unique. I've seen some fairly beautiful looking yellows. And I call Green IRN's the origin color (which I find a big deal :P).
MissK

Post by MissK »

Talking about colour-- it was a table full of blue Ringnecks that first caught my eye, literally. I looked one of those birds in the eye and something happened between us. I thought, in the following year of research, that I wanted a blue. BUT, the bird who was right for me, the individual I wanted, was green. So I "settled". What a silly human. In very short order ( I think it was the car ride home) I became certain that Original Green was the most handsomest colour a Ringneck could be. Now I'm actually stuck because I want to bring home a second, and I don't want green because I want it to be ultra-easy to tell them apart. But what colour should it be??? No colour is as beautiful as the green, and any mutation that sits next to my Rocky is going to look fake to me. I think I favour the grey or the greens that are a little more olive in spots, whatever they may be called. (I think the one called Olive is not the one I mean.) For some reason the inos just don't do it for me the most. But I know, in the end, it will be the individual bird who is right for me and Rocky that I will choose, and the colour won't actually matter. I see with my heart anyway.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

RainbOasis wrote: And I call Green IRN's the origin color (which I find a big deal :P).
Man do I agree with this statement. I just got a new bird and I wanted a green one. But all that was available was a yellow... a grey... a violet.. a blue... no green though..
I said in another post somewhere that the mad scientists have gotten so caught up in mutating these birds that they forgot about plain ol green. :)
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

MissK.. look in to Grey-Green (it's green but darker.. like olive)

I had the same issues with just about every color.. i didn't want any color to clash with mr bell's blue.. green and grey were the nearest... yellow (which i've ended up with) was the absolutely loudest possible clash... but it's what I have.... ugh.. i hate yellow lol.. seems to be a great little bird though .. I won't hold his color against him :P
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think Lutino is the commonest mutation - guess I'll end up with one too..... I think you're right about the grey-green. Please tell me they are common and unpopular! It's good of you to make allowance for Neko, but I still say in six months you won't care at all. Crossing my fingers anyway.
-MissK
RainbOasis

Post by RainbOasis »

@MissK. I would get another color, if i were breeding. But only because I like a little surprise...when the youngling come into this world, I love to see what colors would come up. But if you're so passionate about Green, in which it seems clear that you are. go for gold...err...green.

Also I forgot to mention, I got a new IRN this morning. It was said to have been female/blue. But I can tell it's male and it's green. But I'm happy that it's green. As Donovan mentions, sometimes it's hard to find a green indian ringneck; especially in the area I live (which is practically a small country side town in the middle of almost-nowhere). And most of us believe this is because of how people are so caught up in different color mutations, that some colors including green are either pushed away, or kept by people who actually care so much for their indian ringnecks that they don't sell.

I'll try to provide some pics when I get them uploaded to my computer.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

missk I don't actually care now.. what's done is done.. he's home now for better or worse.

Grey-green is fairly uncommon as far as I know, more expensive too... it's hard to keep up with it all when the breeders sound like they're speaking a different language.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I got a new IRN this morning. It was said to have been female/blue. But I can tell it's male and it's green.
I thought this was very funny!
-MissK
RainbOasis

Post by RainbOasis »

@MissK.
The owner had no idea what breed or how to handle birds, he new how to put them in an aviary and feed them. I hope this new change for the bird, going from an outside aviary with other birds to a lone cage in my room won't be too harsh for the little fella. I know for sure it's going to be hard taming him now...but it's not impossible and I'm happy putting in the extra effort to make a new friend ^^
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

In my own opinion, lutinos are beautiful ;)
Dana
~Dana

RainbOasis

Post by RainbOasis »

How much do you all reckon indian ringnecks can/should cost? I know it depends on mutation and color (even thoug personally I think it shouldn't have to).

My only 2 indian ringnecks I owned, one blue and one green. both cost me 100 AUD each. But some proffesional handlers like to say that they are worth around $5000. What do you all think?
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Differs from breeder to breeder. Got Sunni Dai for $300 from a breeder. Rescued Oscar and Luna for $200 from a pet store for the both of them. Adopted Oliver from Petco for $20 (they didn't realize what they had...they thought he was a "large" bird and after no one claimed him, still hadn't decided what they were going to do with him other than leave him in a cage in the back room in the dark....I digress). Seems like two to five hundred is average. For my neck of the woods anyway.
Dana
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

It can also depend on the age, sex, and history of the bird.
MissK

Post by MissK »

They are "worth" both nothing and everything.

I think it depends on the outlook of the seller. Those who are overly impressed with themselves or are looking to cash in are going to ask a lot of money. Stores will charge what the market will bear -- Dana's Oliver story is outstanding!! To those who only see the bird as a commodity, pricing is going to be the sweet spot where they ask as much as they think they can get.

The local (to me) Rescue charges $75 American. I think I paid about $160? or so? for Rocky, second hand at 10 years old with "issues", and I feel I paid way, way too much. However, I only say that because I know I could have gotten a green baby for about the same money. It was an emotional price, set by the survivors of the original owner who could not let go of the fact that Grandpa paid a lot of money for him back in the day. Was Rocky worth that money? Um, YES! He certainly was, but his value is not in "a mature green male Ringneck"; his value is in "my bird who is so great who's part of my life". Someone else's bird, whatever colour, would probably be worth only about $50 to me.

Birds of rare colour with ultra high price tags, I think, represent how much money the seller thinks he could have gotten if he had bred that bird and sold the rare coloured young. When they sell to another breeder, the second breeder is banking on the same thing. I think that is where the high price comes from. Note that the price of rare colours drops as the colours become more available. It's not about the bird. It's about marketing.

How much should they cost? My theory is they should cost a lot to buy (say $400) but, instead of all the money going to the seller, the seller should get enough to make a small profit and the rest should go to a holding account towards the bird's future vet care. In this way the seller makes some money but not enough to make them greedy to cash in on the backs of little animals all day long. And the bird gets assurance that it will see at least some vet care. And the buyer makes a firm commitment to buying the bird, so it cuts down on rash purchases. At least, that's the theory. But, theories don't always pan out as planned. I didn't think this out very long, so I bet there are many flaws in the idea. But this is what I'd like to see - a limit to the crazy profit off the back of innocent animals, and a limit to those who make a less than sincere commitment to the animals in their care.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

IMO, Rainbows are the best. what are they? I forget, something like Violet something turquiose pallid---some crazy thing. but they are BEAUTIFUL.

Btw, Miss K, don't rule out a Tuquiose grey-- Rocky would look alright with one :) Though I do think normal blue is the most basic mutation--I wouldn't rule it out for a Rocky companion.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

I don't really know which is the best colour, but I can tell you lutinos are lovely. I nearly bought a lutino about 2 years ago because I find them soo beautiful.

Donovan, you got a gorgeous bird there, Congratulations!

Ash
cassurinajoan

Post by cassurinajoan »

My ringneck's name is Chipper, currently he is sitting on my shoulder and very interested in the keyboard! He is cheeky by all meanings of the word. His first words were "good boy" and his favourite saying now is "what are you doing?" especially when we are out of the room, as if to say, why aren't I involved? He is very much part of our family, and our only child so far. He is just becoming tolerant of pats, and i'm working on getting him to bite less, which is working so far.
We are considering getting him a mate, but are unsure of how this will change our relationship with him. Not sure if we could handle two IRN's at the moment! One is child enough for us right now! Looking forward to reading more stories about your precious babies.

Cassie, Rob and Chipper.
Attachments
chipper.jpg
chipper.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

nice looking bird for sure.. i like the color