Pellets for 4 months IRN

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

syed101

Pellets for 4 months IRN

Post by syed101 »

Hello I'm trying to feed my IRNs a balanced diet as I bought them not long ago they are a pair originally kept at a Avery I'm trying to use pellets as well as high quality seeds as they where just used to seed based diet I bought African grey pellets though it says it's suitable for all Africans was wondering if I could feed them to my IRNs I've read the ingredients seems safe any suggestions?also I've put a slice of apple trying to get them used to fruit they don't seem to bother any advice would be most welcome
AJPeter

Re: Pellets for 4 months IRN

Post by AJPeter »

Cannot be much help, but my IRN Billie wont eat pellets, and is not found of fruit each bird is different quite likely you IRN will pick out what they want from the African grey diet. Billie likes vegeatables, and cooked food especially corn.
AJPeter
mokhan65

Post by mokhan65 »

Hi can anyone please help me out i got a blue male and white female IRN (has all finges but no nails) bought 3 months ago breeder told me they are breeding pair and gave me one of their baby too, they breed in aviary with other ringneck and now they in big cage inside in my sitting room .
got 2 question:
1- they are only interested to eat sunflower seeds ive tried (Harrison high potency,Harrison Life time,zupreem and tropimix bird food which has 30 different seeds +Add mineral block and add boost in water) but they just come down test them and leave.
ive mixed sunflower with Harrison Palets but they eat only seeds and nothing,also tried fruits and veg but same result. im so worried because ive noticed they are getting week they re not as they were before. please help me.
2- after ive bought i put nest box they start going in male spend more time then female in nest box but after a month they stooped ,ive clean box again put nesting material and put it back but nothing happened.
they are very bonded( sit together and little bit peen each very rarely ) but i never seen male whistle or shows any other signs of breeding, sometimes i thought baby that breeder gave me with them which i hand reared is not their and he sold me because he wanted to get ride of them
does anyone know what's the problem and guide me please
MissK

Post by MissK »

You must give them what they will eat. A healthy food will not help them if they don't eat it and consequently starve. Place the food and water up high and not near anything that will make them scared to come close to the food.

You must also give them the food you want them to eat. Place it next to the first food. Present this second food in exactly the same way every day. Do not change in this manner: today vegetables, tomorrow pellets. Be consistent and make it exactly the same every day. The birds must overcome their distrust of the new food by getting accustomed to it being there and then must try it. You *will* waste food this way, sorry about that.

It will take several weeks or more for the birds to taste the new food. You can possibly increase their interest by staying at a comfortable distance and eating the same food yourself.

This is not the only way to change the parrot's food, but it is one way.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

This is a double post, but MissK pellets are made from meal worms, the sort we used to put on hooks when we went fishing, you won't get me to eat pellets.
Melika

Post by Melika »

syed101 wrote:Hello I'm trying to feed my IRNs a balanced diet as I bought them not long ago they are a pair originally kept at a Avery I'm trying to use pellets as well as high quality seeds as they where just used to seed based diet I bought African grey pellets though it says it's suitable for all Africans was wondering if I could feed them to my IRNs I've read the ingredients seems safe any suggestions?also I've put a slice of apple trying to get them used to fruit they don't seem to bother any advice would be most welcome
No problem feeding the pellets made for African Greys this time, but you'll want to buy a different kind next time. The pellets made for African Greys typically have extra calcium among other things. The nutrition for African parrots is different than that required by Asiatic (IRNs are Asiatic/Asian) parrots so the pellets tend to be a bit different. But feeding just this one bag is okay.

Of course, fresh foods are always best!
AJPeter wrote:This is a double post, but MissK pellets are made from meal worms, the sort we used to put on hooks when we went fishing, you won't get me to eat pellets.
o.O Not mine... Ingredients: Rice, barley, sunflower seed hulled, alfalfa leaf, sesame seeds unhulled, amaranth whole, quinoa whole, buckwheat hulled, millet hulled, dandelion leaf powder, carrot powder, spinach leaf powder, purple dulse, rose hips powder, rose hips crushed, orange peel powder, lemon peel powder, rosemary whole leaf, cayenne ground, crushed red chili peppers, wheat grass powder, barley grass powder. http://totallyorganics.com/
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ah! So there is no excuse not to try pellets? Quick £5 for the best reason.
Melika

Post by Melika »

AJPeter wrote:Ah! So there is no excuse not to try pellets? Quick £5 for the best reason.
http://www.rodalenews.com/bugs-food ;)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

cheque in the post.