going away for the weekend

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

going away for the weekend

Post by InTheAir »

We are going away for 2 nights and leaving Nila in the capable hands of Ellie and husband.

This is our first trip away in almost a year, we left him with mum for a weekend just after he moved in here. He usually comes with us, but the double factor of sharing a campsite with small children and noisy drag cars is probably too much stress for him. He doesn't mind normal race cars, but these things are so loud!

Has anyone got any tips on how I can conquer my seperation anxiety? I think Nila will cope better then me! I have written almost 3 pages of instructions so far, including a trouble shooting guide... That's 2 pages so far, just incase he is a brat....
I've started packing a suitcase for him, just his favourite music and toys, treats, meals....

Does this sound insane?

Lol
Redzone

Re: going away for the weekend

Post by Redzone »

YES! hahahaha :)

I'm sure Nila will enjoy his holiday..
MissK

Post by MissK »

Good show; that is the perfect place for him! Good show Ellie and, um, who is that guy anyway?

With regards to:
I have written almost 3 pages of instructions so far, including a trouble shooting guide...
Please stop making me laugh; I have peed my pants.
Does this sound insane?
Dude, YES! You're leaving him with *ELLIE*.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Garage Redzone: if you are not busy at work come pick up my car and check it over for me, sweetie pie. It wants some oil and the battery secured. If you are too busy get off the irn forum :wink:

Missk: I thought it might be useful if I note down how we deal with certain behaviours... They don't need to follow it, it's just suggestions. ... I started worrying about my mental health when I looked over my list. :lol: I actually packed biscuits for them to eat if he won't come when he's called. ...
And his connect 4 set so they can bond over a game. ... mini golf incase Charlie or Janey want a game. ..
Do you think I should pack his snooker table? He actually likes the human sized one best. .. but it could be a little heavy for such a short trip...
I hope Ellie doesn't see this thread before I drop him off or she might back out. Lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

MissK wrote:Good show Ellie and, um, who is that guy anyway?
He likes to go by Mr Ellie :lol:
InTheAir wrote: I think Nila will cope better then me! I have written almost 3 pages of instructions so far, including a trouble shooting guide... That's 2 pages so far, just incase he is a brat....
I've started packing a suitcase for him, just his favourite music and toys, treats, meals....
I'll be delighted to get the instructions. I've always wanted to do such things for when I take my guys places... however I don't because I know they'll just dismiss them and think I'm a "crazy, bird lady"!

Myself and Mr Ellie are looking forward to having Nila stay with us this weekend.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I once left written instructions for a boyfriend to look after my dogs that included a sketch of how the dog looks when making poopie. In case she looked like she was in pain, to reassure him. I'm sure he put it in the trash. (thank gods there is no physical evidence....)

That said, DUDE, It's *ELLIE*!

Ellie, are we going to be having this chat again when Janey and Charlie go for an overnight at Auntie Claire and Unca Dave's? I bet we will...... :twisted:
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

@ Ellie phew... I was expecting a message from you saying something had come up and you are too busy to read my 3+ (now) pages of instructions. .. I mean birdy sit. :mrgreen:

I have a feeling I'm already the crazy bird lady in most people's eyes!

So, Dave thinks Nila will be ok without the full sized, slate top pool table. I'll just pack his little one instead. :wink:

I'm sure Nila and Charlie can compare pickup lines.

I do hope Nila will be a good boy for you and Mr Ellie!

Lol missk! That makes the 2 pages I left for our housemates on how to look after 4 fish last year seem not quite so bad. .. I think. ..

I hope Charlie and Janey come with a comprehensive set of instructions if we baby sit them.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I used to make a poster with a picture of each dog (we had four) and instructions beside each picture, that way no chance the wrong dog gets the wrong med, or food amount. But that's about as far as I went... :lol:

The mini-dachshund still managed to somehow steal a whole loaf of white bread from the sitter's purse, drag it upstairs, and eat half of it the day we were coming home. The poor dog. He paid for his sin.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

She had a loaf of bread in her purse?
Was it coming in the door or going out?
:o
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Omg I just reviewed my (4 pages of) notes and found I had forgotten to mention his toileting idiosyncrasies! I can't believe I almost set Ellie up for disaster!

I'm curious about the bread in the purse too....
MissK

Post by MissK »

Um....... "toileting idosyncracies"...... ?

Don't tell me you've trained him to a dollhouse bidet!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol! That's a great idea!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Wow...sorry I missed this thread somehow. I almost peed myself reading it :lol:

Glad you came to your senses on the pool table...good call.

I don't know how Ellie would have figured out how to care for Nila without your well thought out written instructions on how to play connect four and simple ways to tell when Nila has to potty :mrgreen:

Did you pack nila's easel and paints in case he needed to express his loneliness on canvas??? :wink:

Enjoy your drag racing...kick butt!!
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Well I just put Nila to bed. He's been a well-behaved little birdie. He's had games of Connect 4, my father-in-law dropped by and fell in love with him, he's napped on me and Mr Ellie and hung out with Janey and Charlie (whilst in their respective cages).

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I am so relieved he is being a good boy! I bet he is having a ball. He probably won't want to come home.
Please tell him we miss him and we love him when he wakes up!
Maybe we can give you a call and talk to him tomorrow. ...
MissK

Post by MissK »

What hath The Internet wrought!
(With apologies to Samuel Morse...)
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

This is kind of off topic, but it's funny so it probably fits this theme.
Just took my car to scrutineers. The guy looking over it was checking the inside of the b pillar on driver side for ages, he calls me over and says "this might be a dumb question, but does your car have a seat belt? " I just pointed to the seat belt attached to the door right behind him and tried not to laugh to loudly!
The kids who are camping with us are sad Nila isn't here. The rotaries are loud and stinky so he would not be a happy parrot if he was!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

InTheAir wrote:I am so relieved he is being a good boy! I bet he is having a ball. He probably won't want to come home.
Please tell him we miss him and we love him when he wakes up!
Maybe we can give you a call and talk to him tomorrow. ...
He is being very good... although I'm sure he will want to go home. He is fine here, but I'm sure he misses home and the two of you. Happy for you to give him a call. If you've got skype on your phone, we can sit him in front of the iPad so he can see you.

I'm about to go out now, so make sure it's a bit later in the day.

Hope you're having fun racing!

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Well, it sounds like his birdiness has made himself right at home and taken control of the household in his usual subtle way :mrgreen:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm so glad to be home and reunited with our little birdy.
He seems to have enjoyed his holiday a lot! I think he was a lot less traumatised than I was by the separation lol
He was looking quite at home on Ellie when I arrived to pick him up. Apart from charging poor Charlie (who is a good deal bigger than him), he seems to have been quite a good boy.
The pages of trouble shooting were unnecessary!

Thanks again to Ellie, Mr Ellie and Janey and Charlie for putting up with our little monster all weekend!