Gracie's cage is here! Yay!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

Gracie's cage is here! Yay!

Post by pattiB »

I put it together in no time! The quality is outstanding. I can already tell it will be a very long lasting cage. I'm glad we went ahead and got this one. It was pricey for in the long run well worth it I'm sure. I will try to post pics. I'm off to purchase a few more perches and ropes and toys. Yay! :D
Skyes_crew

Re: Gracie's cage is here! Yay!

Post by Skyes_crew »

Can't wait to see it all put together :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Have fun setting it up pattiB I am sure you will get it just the way you and Gracie like it. :D
Just takin a break !

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Do you think I should introduce her to it tomorrow? I'm almost thru putting it together with toys and items. I don't want to scare her this late in the eve. Whats your opinion? It's much larger and has more "play stuff" inside.Thanks!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yeah...maybe start the new day with it so she has time during the day to get used to it :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Thanks, I kinda felt that would be best too. She's VERY interested in what I'm doing! She keeps looooooking as things make sounds while I'm attaching them. I cannot wait for her to explore this new spot! Sooooo much fun! :D
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

She on, not in but on. I think I wore her out with some training. She actually WANTED to step onto my hand a few times. I'm trying not to push her into it. The breeder said I should just continue to "make" her step up. I want HER to do it. Is this wrong? Anyway, I got a couple bites while trying to just hold her. She's not yet at all comfy with just sitting on my hand. She's not scared of us, or taking food from our hands. She is scared to take that step up on her own. We'll get there though! Any suggestions? I don't want to do what the breeder told me. Am I wrong on that? This should probably be in another post huh? lol
But she's on top of her new cage. I'll have to put her in when I head out to pick up daughter.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Pushing into a bird to force a step up is called negative reinforcement. Basically you are treating the bird for doing something they don't really want to do. They will always choose food. It's a baser instinct. I still believe in starting with positive reinforcement first. IRNS's are notoriously scared of hands and fingers. Try putting the food behind your arm and place your arm in front of Gracie and ask her to step up. Keep trying. She'll get there. :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Skyes_crew wrote:Pushing into a bird to force a step up is called negative reinforcement. Basically you are treating the bird for doing something they don't really want to do. They will always choose food. It's a baser instinct. I still believe in starting with positive reinforcement first. IRNS's are notoriously scared of hands and fingers. Try putting the food behind your arm and place your arm in front of Gracie and ask her to step up. Keep trying. She'll get there. :D
Oh that's exactly what I do. I spent over and hour with treat in hand behind other hand. She got closer and closer until she finally stepped onto my hand. I'm totally doing that with her. What is your take on her just relaxing on my hand. When she flies down, I pick her back up, and over and over. She did sit for about 5 minutes, without trouble. But then she took off again. I don't want to do negative reinforcement.
She stepped up to finally go inside after lurking around the top! lol. I think she was tired. She's inside now. It was fun watching her "LOOK" at everything and think about whether or not to check it all out. lol
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm glad to hear she is liking her new cage.

In regards to the training, have you checked out goodbirdinc.com? There's lots of good info there. She has a YouTube channel too, I haven't watched a lot of vids but I like what I have seen.
When we got Nila we would step him out of his cage and let him do his own thing. He soon decided it was more fun and rewarding to harass us than to play with the toys on the curtain rail. I don't know if this is a guaranteed method to success, but I do think you can relax a little on the training. You should have years and years with your little one, so there is no point in rushing things now.

The other thing I really like that is on the good bird website is the cobcept of avoiding provoking a bite. We have followed that idea and it has worked well for us. Our bird is easy going and didn't appear to go thru a bluffing stage. I don't know how much that was influenced by us and how much of it is his nature. Though I do think him knowing that he can growl if he wants to be left alone has built some trust in us and discouraged him needing to follow through with a bite.
We are lucky he growls, as it is such an easy signal to spot, but the same can be applied to body language.

Did you see Ellie electrons great thread on foraging? Nila loves solving foraging puzzles, your buddy might like them too.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm sorry; I only skimmed the last 2 posts. I'm soooo tired.

Did you say you are pushing into the bird or not?

If you are, stop it and use a truly great food lure.

So glad she's checking out the new stuff. I love a happy story.
-MissK