All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

New bird to be

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

New bird to be

Post by InTheAir » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:33 am

We went to see a local breeder we met through the aviculture society here and checked out his new babies. We fell in love with all his birds, but we only reserved one. I will refer to him/her as Squidgy until it grows up and a name presents itself.
Squidgy is 5 weeks old, violet and squidgy. Squidgy is being parent raised. Squidgy is very chilled out with humans so far. Squidy mostly likes to snuggle up to anything soft and warm. It was hard to remove Squidgy from my coat when it was time for Squidgy to go back in the nest box.

I will try to visit Squidgy when I can until Squidgy is weaned and ready to move on.
I think Nila is going to love Squidgy! I forgot to take photos for Nila, but maybe when I visit Squidgy next I will remember to.

Do you think show Squidgy videos of Nila, or is Squidgy too young for Internet dating?

Squidgy will be dna sexed soonish, but we had decided a while ago that we would choose the bird that seemed most comfortable with us and not worry about what sex it is because we can't agree on which sex we want.
It's hard to tell at that age, but Squidgy seemed calm around us compared to the others.

The breeder has so many beautiful birds! I think every single colour is my favourite colour!

:P

MissK

Re: New bird to be

Post by MissK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:06 am

I'm kind of pleased your bird will be parent raised!

Of course you know, it's going to end up being Squidgy forever.

I think you should show Nila videos of the new one. Rocky likes videos of other birds. You can call it research. And how else are you going to explain to Nila that there's a baby around?
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:54 am

Did Nila run all over you checking you out after you came home smelling like squidgy?

You have to show him pictures otherwise he's going to think you're cheating :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Missk, I do worry that Nila will be trying to feed the little one from the moment he meets it, considering how much he feeds the bathroom mirror already. I wonder how he will react to baby videos....
We decided we wanted a parent raised bird ages ago, but it does mean the vet check will be quite scary for squidgy.

Mel, luckily Nila isn't the jealous type. I just hope Squidgy turns out to be as laid back.

Btw baby birds feel gross, even with their little feathers. We got to peek into a nest box of younger ones and they looked like mini freezer chickens with parrot beaks. .. I can't believe they turn out so graceful and lovely.

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 am

Welcome little Squidgy to the wonderful world of being described, discussed and doted upon on the IRN Forum!

I agree that the name is a keeper :) He/she sounds lovely, congratulations.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:15 am

Squidgy sounds like a spongebob character lol.

If your parent raised is anything like mine, he/she will be super laid back. Hamlet is as laid back as they come. I can put that bird on anyone's hand and he stays put. He will give anyone a kiss. Not afraid of dogs, loud noises, kids running around...he's bomb proof. He has never bitten me. Not once. He never bluffed. Parent raised in my opinion is definitely the way to go. I wish I could convince more people of that here in Hawaii. They all want hand reared birds.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 am

Drat, my phone lost my epic reply. I had written you guys a whole novel.

We are only referring to Squidgy as that as we don't know the sex or name.... yet. Squidgy felt really Squidgy when I was trying to extract it from my coat! it was quite gross actually.... his little claws were holding on so tight, I think he was intending to nap in there until mummy bird turned up with dinner.

From what I have read about ringnecks, briefly discussed with my vet and other experienced bird keepers, it sounds like the bird needn't be hand raised to adapt into a household when it is young. It sounds like they are more prepared for life than a hand reared bird. If Squidgy still doesn't like us after quarantine, I'm sure Nila will show Squidgy how to be a human friend.
We are lucky that Nila realises he is a bird and prioritises birds above humans, as he is a very humanised bird. We really don't want to find ourselves the object of his sexual attention ever! We aren't insecure enough to need those advances from our birds lol

I do hope squidgy will settle in as well as hamlet. It's hard choosing a bird for your bird! Squidgys nest box seemed to have the calmest reaction to us, the one in the next flight sounded like it was full of little dinosaurs! It would be nice if Nila could pick his own friend, but hopefully we have made the right choice on his behalf.

Jen; brace yourself for the influx of awesomeness posts about Nila and Squidgy that will follow. When I visit squidgy and squidgy is less squidgy I'll post a picture, if squidgy likes cameras. Imagine the tricks (and mischief) 2 Nilas can do!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 am

InTheAir wrote:Drat, my phone lost my epic reply. I had written you guys a whole novel.

We are only referring to Squidgy as that as we don't know the sex or name.... yet. Squidgy felt really Squidgy when I was trying to extract it from my coat! it was quite gross actually.... his little claws were holding on so tight, I think he was intending to nap in there until mummy bird turned up with dinner.

From what I have read about ringnecks, briefly discussed with my vet and other experienced bird keepers, it sounds like the bird needn't be hand raised to adapt into a household when it is young. It sounds like they are more prepared for life than a hand reared bird. If Squidgy still doesn't like us after quarantine, I'm sure Nila will show Squidgy how to be a human friend.
We are lucky that Nila realises he is a bird and prioritises birds above humans, as he is a very humanised bird. We really don't want to find ourselves the object of his sexual attention ever! We aren't insecure enough to need those advances from our birds lol

I do hope squidgy will settle in as well as hamlet. It's hard choosing a bird for your bird! Squidgys nest box seemed to have the calmest reaction to us, the one in the next flight sounded like it was full of little dinosaurs! It would be nice if Nila could pick his own friend, but hopefully we have made the right choice on his behalf.

Jen; brace yourself for the influx of awesomeness posts about Nila and Squidgy that will follow. When I visit squidgy and squidgy is less squidgy I'll post a picture, if squidgy likes cameras. Imagine the tricks (and mischief) 2 Nilas can do!
It's at that point that you get your own website and have a daily Internet hour long show called the squidgy and Nila show :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Haha! Dave thinks I should start a squidgy taming blog, when squidgy moves in. I'm probably too lazy though.

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:46 am

I think you should just post on your Squidgy thread. I am sure a lot of others with new birds would enjoy. I would be very interested, too, since I have that interest in parent raised birds.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

I'll try.
I've been busy reading up on taming and training birds in preparation, hopefully the theoretical knowledge will override the lack of practical experience!

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Don't sell yourself short, Super Trainer Claire!

We're all here for you, anyway.
-MissK

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 pm

MissK wrote:Don't sell yourself short, Super Trainer Claire!
Agreed! I can't wait to meet the new addition :)

Ellie.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Some people just naturally have a way with animals. You are definitely one of them!

Super Trainer Claire...has a nice ring to it :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 am

Aww, thanks girls. I'm a bit nervous.

ringneck boot camp with super trainer Claire lol

Melika

Post by Melika » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 am

I am personally a fan of the name Squidgy. :wink: I'm glad he's parent raised too. If they get enough human attention they turn out just as tame, and as was pointed out, seem to deal with things better.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 am

I'm so excited, it's going to feel like a very long month!
I've just noticed the handles on the wardrobe doors in the bedroom Squidgy will have at first can be unscrewed and replaced with perches, for when Squidgy feels confident enough to perch at seated person level!
I'm sure Squidgy will suggest a new name when Squidgy is older, I think ringnecks are far too elegant for a permanent name like that. :mrgreen:

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:44 am

We'll see...Bug's original name was Jali, after a handsome Indian prince in a book I was reading, but he got nicknamed "Bug" (because he was cute as a bug) and it stuck. It actually suits his personality much better than an elegant name!

Hilarious that you're going as far as replacing door handles with perches...must be love :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 am

That's cute, jen. Nila is also known as mr snuggles, just quietly.

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:37 am

............ Did I mention one of my dogs answers to "Boo Boo".......
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 am

Since we're admitting to nicknames here...hamlet doesn't even know his name :oops: He thinks his name is ham :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:30 am

Piglet --> Pig

Hamlet --> Ham

It works.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah, but it shows a laziness on my part that I can't even call my bird by his given name lol. Oh well...ham it is :D

Btw...I'm starting to think maybe I have a subconscious addiction to pork. Skyes nickname is porkchop :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Oh dear, all the nicknames are coming out now... I can't wait for Ellie to join this thread and admit whatever nicknames she has for her two.
Missk, please tell me boo boo is a rottweiler! :wink:
Skyes_crew wrote:
Btw...I'm starting to think maybe I have a subconscious addiction to pork. Skyes nickname is porkchop :lol:
Are you getting enough fat in your diet, Mel?

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Ummmmm....I dreamz of cheezburger :D

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Porkchop - I love it! There's an expression in Australian English "carrying on like a pork chop", for when someone is being silly (don't ask me where it came from, I wasn't born here!) Do you guys say that in the US as well? I'm thinking it might explain the origin of the nickname.

Claire, I think we've well and truly busted the myth of ringnecks needing elegant names :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Jen, nope, that one's not ours.... at least not in my area. I could see it as a term of endearment, though.

Skyes_Crew, I eat pork Each And Every Day. I can't have beef and I'm ticked off with the entire chicken industry, so it's pork. Not Complaining!

InTheAir, Boo Boo is actually a sweet little 32 pound mutt. The vet says her Granny was a Pit Bull, though we'll never really know. She has some German Shepherd in her (you can see it), and something bringing down the size, and something that fetches naturally out of water. Heinz 57! (See Wiki explanation of Heinz 57 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_57) "Heinz Hound", my grandmother would have said. Here's a link to another dog who looks almost exactly like Boo Boo's sister (um.... Baby :oops: .....) http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27178242 Baby's ears are smaller, and Boo Boo's ears flop down and her head is broader, but that's basically them. Of course, they're old now, and most of the black has gone grey or white.

I also like door handles becoming perches. And I think those little "gotta call 'em something" names tend to stick. Trying to get a friend of mine to stop calling his wee daughter "Peanut" for that very reason, poor child! Riff Raff was going to become Magenta if she turned out to be a girl, but when she showed her true colours, it was too late. And Rocky, well, he knew his name so I never got the chance to change it.

Welcome Squidgy. Change it now or let it lie.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Lol, Missk. Your dogs look tough enough to get away with being called baby and boo boo. I met a little fluffy called Buster this morning, it was a sweet dog.

I'm sure there's some tribes that youngsters get an adult name as a coming of age thing. .. earn it through great deeds of bravery or something. .. I was thinking that would be squidgy's way. That's how Nila escaped being known as snuggles.
I'm going to see him/her tomorrow so I will reassess the name. I'm sure squidgy will have more feathers and bones by now so won't be quite as squidgy.
I'm worried that squidgy will develop an inferiority complex with that name, especially since Nila Sa has a nice (albeit female) name.

We have the porkchop phrase in nz too.

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Carrying on like a pork chop, eh. Well, I try to remember to give it a spin at work and see how folks like it. Not promising anything, though.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Haha if it goes down well there are plenty more weird phrases here we can share with you.

I just recorded Nila talking and vocalizing with my phone so I can play it for squidgy tomorrow. :lol:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm pretty sure carrying on like a porkchop would be an insult here in the good ole US of A lol. :lol:

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 am

I don't think I give my birds nicknames. Nothing really interesting any way. Let's see... Janey gets "Janey" or "Janey Elinor"... after babysitting them for a bit, my mother-in-law nicknamed her the "Queen of Sheba". Charlie gets "Charlie", "Charles", "Charlie Parker" (I think he was a jazz musician?)... so nothing too exciting. My mother-in-law thought it was funny that we called Charlie, Charles because she thought it coupled well with her nickname of "Queen of Sheba" for Janey - the "Queen" and "Charles".

Janey, however, I think is a narcissist at heart - which may explain her behaviour. For the longest time, I think she thought "Janey" just meant "come here". When she wanted us to come, she'd start calling "Janey, Janey" at the top of her lungs. It actually was rather cute :)

Ellie.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:12 am

I do think the queen rather suits Janey as a nickname!

Squidgy has heaps of feathers now and doesn't feel so squishy! S/he is turning into a beautiful little bird. The name squidgy is no longer suitable :cry: if s/he had gone toilet on me I would've kept the name though!
I'm sure it will get a new name when it comes home, unless it does something memorable when it starts coming out of the box and gets a name from the breeder.

Photos coming soon, when my technical team sort it out :mrgreen:

Ps I want a whole massive aviary full of different colored irns now!

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:05 am

Skyes_Crew, I eat pork Each And Every Day.

Missk! :shock: :roll: :o

Ash

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:07 am

Can't wait to see squidgy! But truly I don't like to see baby birds :lol:

Ash

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:30 am

Here you go. Behold, not squidgy anymore!

When I showed Nila the photos he started boy dancing and tried to feed my phone. When I showed him the black screen he only tried to feed the phone... When I showed him a picture of him he licked it. I'm taking that to mean he is excited about the little bird and they will be best friends. :wink:

Edit; btw little birdy only looks slightly green because we were under a shade cloth that is green.
Attachments
photo_2-1.jpg
photo_2-1.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:44 am

That is the sweetest thing ever :D I love baby ringies

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 am

I think they are cute when they get to this age! Pretty gross before they get their feathers!

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 am

Awwww...... That is really cute! I thought you will be posting a pic of a gross baby. Hehehehe

Ash

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:48 am

The whole naked baby bird thing isn't really my cup of tea either. But little SOFTIE is looking great! :twisted:
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Softie is pretty sweet, possibly because it's still to young to be anymore than dazed and confused when it's out of the box.
It's amazing how quick they turn from gross to cute! S/he was half bald when I saw him/her just over a week ago.

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Softie is adorable...takes me back to when Bug was still sweet and innocent-looking...little did we know what was in store for us... :P

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Lol, Jen! I have a feeling that Nila is far too laidback to give us an accurate idea of living with a ringneck. He is so easy, politey screams human words when he wants attention and hardly ever destroys anything (he hasn't even eaten a power bill or a cornice for months)! I just hope he rubs off on little Softie.

This quarantine thing is going to be very hard on the whole family, but my main worry is that Softie will have to be alone for 3 mornings a week. Nila will go to work with Dave, so he will have company but be stuck in a cage. Dave will be able to go talk to Softie for short periods 2 of those days, but on Wednesdays poor Lil Softie will be completely alone until midday! I really want him/her to feel safe in our house.
Any suggestions?

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Softie will be ok alone a couple of mornings a week. It'll be good for him and build his character. Leave a radio on for him... Classical music--soothing. My birds particularly like piano music.

Hmm, nicknames.... Boo Boo Birdie is Fats. (Fats hasn't even tried to say his own name... just everything else.) But Camo is Shampoopoo for the time he landed on my boyfriends head in the shower while he was shampooing. He is also Snuggles because his fluffy ring where he sleeps is his snuggly.
I have been thinking about trying to teach Fats that his name is Tom, since I recently found out that that is the real name of Fats Waller... Thomas (Fats) Waller. I don't know if he'd be able to say that either.

Softie sound like a good name... rolls off the tounge...

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:06 am

So.... I thought I'd better update this since I've had a little change of heart.
Dave and I agreed to go for a bird whos sex was unknown. When we first saw what was in the nest box I immediately wanted the lavender one, but then the breeder pointed out it was a hen so I decided to take the violet instead....
Now they are out of the box and flying around I still want the lavender one, especially as little violet is a cock.
If we had taken the violet without knowing the sex, I'm sure I'd have got attached to it and not minded that is a boy. But since I know it's a boy now, Dave and I did some more soul searching and came to the conclusion we really do want Nila to have a girl friend... I did instantly like the lavender one best, so I should have gone with that straight away.
Luckily the lavender hasn't been sold. I feel like I've let wee squidgy down, but Nila will like squidgette better.

I guess Ellie and I will be able to compare notes on how to cope with hormonal girls for the next 20 years :mrgreen:

Feel free to tell me I'm silly!

Melika

Post by Melika » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 am

Congrats on Squidgette? I don't think Squidgy will be harmed by your rejection. ;) It will be interesting having long-term owners of females here on the forum, to help those with similar problems.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks, Melika.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:45 pm

See Claire...not silly at all. Always go with your heart :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks Mel!
Only a week or so to go before the little one is ready to leave her parents! I'm so excited.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 pm

I wouldn't be able to sit still lol. Have you and dave started work on the little ones enclosure?

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

I think if you go into it with eyes wide open, it's cool. Just don't look to me to join the couples club! :lol:
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Aww come on MissK...

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm

We'll chat when you all have a bunch of Budgies.
:wink:
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:51 pm

:lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Lol, you two!

Mel, I have set up the biggest spare room up with a couch and table and am currently making a hanging play perch and decorating the new perch I've made for Nila. I will probably steal one of Nilas hanging perches and give him the new one since he's a bit bored of the the current ones.
I don't like the quarantine cage I've bought though. .. It's too small! I don't want to buy a new big one, as we would prefer them to cohabit in Nilas cage in the long run. We have a cage for Nila at work too, plus his travel cage and his outside (under supervision) cage, which isnt much bigger has small doors, so wouldn't suit the new bird. I feel like I'm collecting bird cages!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Remind me to take you on a video tour of my cage collection lol. It's good to have options. How big is Nila's work cage? Can squidgette borrow that one? You're only doing a 7 day quarantine right?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm not allowed to borrow the work cage because Nila will be going to work with daddy.

I haven't checked with the vet yet about quarantine time. But they will need separate cages until we are assured that they will share a cage comfortably anyway.
Admittedly little squidgette will be able to spend most days playing in her bedroom, so she shouldn't get too bored.

I thought I had better make her a table tree for her room too. Our birds now have more furniture than we do! Her one is only little though.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:41 pm

I can't stand the wait! I'm so impatient for my little birdy to come home!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:48 pm

See if you can go visit her again :)

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am

When is she coming? I'm so excited! I was going to see if you could do some bird sitting for me this weekend but I've a feeling that might not suit now?

Ellie.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 pm

ellieelectrons wrote:When is she coming? I'm so excited! I was going to see if you could do some bird sitting for me this weekend but I've a feeling that might not suit now?

Ellie.
I'm expecting to hear from the breeder in the next week or so! I think she's almost 11 weeks old now.

We can bird sit this weekend. We are going to a birthday party on Saturday late afternoon though, but if your birds are happy to go to bed without being tucked in, we can leave Nila at home with their cages in sight of each other. That would be kind of nice for us too. Your birds would actually be doing the bird sitting so we could go out alone!

I'll need some tips on how you handle your birds and get them back in the cage... maybe a few pages of instructions and a kilo or two of sunflower seeds....

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

That sounds great - thanks Claire. I'll let you know when we've decided for sure. Shouldn't be too long.

Ellie.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Sweet as

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

InTheAir wrote:
a kilo or two of sunflower seeds....
Wow...that's some major bribery happening there :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Skyes_crew wrote:
InTheAir wrote:
a kilo or two of sunflower seeds....
Wow...that's some major bribery happening there :mrgreen:
A girl scout should always be prepared! :mrgreen:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 pm

I totally agree...that's why I store at least two boxes of thin mint cookies in the back of the freezer :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I just want to know if the instructions are going to come out in volume format..........
-MissK

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Ain't nothin like a Claire size thesis!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Ellie has twice as many birds as me so I'm expecting a minimum of 8 pages.
Skyes_crew wrote:I totally agree...that's why I store at least two boxes of thin mint cookies in the back of the freezer :mrgreen:
yum! I can't do that, I accidently eat them when I'm not concentrating.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm

InTheAir wrote:Ellie has twice as many birds as me so I'm expecting a minimum of 8 pages.

10 if its typed out and doubled spaced :wink:
Skyes_crew wrote:I totally agree...that's why I store at least two boxes of thin mint cookies in the back of the freezer :mrgreen:
yum! I can't do that, I accidently eat them when I'm not concentrating.

so do I lol...I just keep replacing them :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 am

Great news, dave just had a friend offer him a decent sized parrot cage! My main worry about quarantining is solved. Yah!
My impatience level hasn't changed though.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 am

InTheAir wrote:Great news, dave just had a friend offer him a decent sized parrot cage! My main worry about quarantining is solved. Yah!
My impatience level hasn't changed though.
Yay!!!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

My little one is almost grown up now! Just another week to wait to ensure she is ready to leave her parents. I can't wait! She's probably going to arrive in time to be an anniversary present for Nila, he has almost been with us a year! Nila will be thrilled!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I can't wait to see pics of her :D have you gotten to see her recently?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Nope, haven't seen her for weeks.

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:09 pm

WEEKS!

:shock:
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I would be climbing the walls. How are you staying so calm???

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Skyes_crew wrote:I would be climbing the walls. How are you staying so calm???
It's just my relaxed and chilled out personality. :wink: Actually, it's been so long I've almost forgotten I'm getting a bird! Nila tries to keep me busy too.

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Filing that away for blackm, I mean Posterity......

Gotta go. Rocky has given me the clear "tired of staying up late with you" sign - he turned his back on the room! Is that a cool bird, or what?! I just love him. Uh-oh, gushiness coming.... Goodnight!
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Aww rocky is awesome. Nila picks a human to sleep on and has a little tanty when we put him to bed.
Good night

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 pm

I wish my birds would sleep on me :( hamlet puts himself to bed and Cyrano would stay up all night if I let him. He's a night owl. Skye is too busy cozying up to her mate these days. Maybe I need another bird :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:40 am

Time for those budgies Melissa....

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 am

Will they nap on me? :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 am

Hmmm I have no idea. Imagine how cute a sleeping budgie would be on your shoulder though! Awwww

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 am

Counting down the days. ...

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 am

How many are we counting exactly....

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:23 am

That's a good point. She will definitely be ready this weekend I think

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:02 am

Janey is back into training now. When she wants to do some tricks, she flies down to the training table and sits there until I get the hint. The other day Mr Ellie let them out and she was scoring soccer goals whilst he was sitting at the table (I'd left the soccer goal and ball on the table from last training session) and then walking up to him demanding a treat. It's nice to have my girl back!

Let me know when Squidgette is taking visitors Claire. I'd love to meet her.

I'm working around the clock at the moment, getting ready for the launch of the computer game I've been working on for four years, so I've been a bit scarce around here of late. Please PM me if there are any issues arising. I should be back on deck next week.

Ellie.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Ellie,
I hope things are all coming together for Friday! Best of luck for the launch!
That's great that Janey is back on form, Nila was demanding training tonight too, he can't have been hungry as he had a huge dinner. I think he was jealous because my friend who just got back from Europe stopped by and I was neglecting him. Shoving a ring in my face seems a pretty reliable way of getting my attention! We should get them together for a soccer match! Nila could probably learn soccer fairly quickly. Or maybe Janey may be interested in playing pool on the big table? Nila loves the big table.
Btw I was looking for goals for soccer the other day, where did you get them?

We will let you know as soon as squidgette is slightly interested in people. I do hope she will like us now she is grown up and has opinions on things.

Don't fear, I will pm and text and email you if we get any more freaky ppl!

Ps did you see the pic of me in the daily today? until I got the paper I was actually under the illusion that photographer actually liked me.... Though Dave read it differently from me. ... :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Omg I just booked my vet appointment. And I still haven't got the bird yet ... I really hope I will be able to bribe her into the travel cage after only 2 days with us! It should be interesting. ..

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:39 am

We finally have the new little bird! Photos tomorrow as I haven't had time to take any yet.
She's so pretty

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:51 am

OMG! Is she totally awesome? Can't wait to see her. :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:11 am

She's a bit overwhelmed by it all so far. She's gone to bed now, I hope she actually gets some sleep, Dave and Nila are racing around downstairs. Boys!
She likes sprouts and strawberries. And videos of Nila on my phone. I am sure she hasn't eaten enough though.
I had better come up with a name soon because she looks at me when ever I address her as squidgette. I'm afraid that one is going to stick!

I'm feeling awfully cruel leaving her in solitary confinement, I'm sure she'd be much happier with a friend. Quarantine sux!

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:05 am

She's SOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 am

Congratulations you guys!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Well...where is she??? Or are you having so much fun you don't have time for the little people :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:29 pm

We don't have a good enough camera to do her justice, I will have to save up for one so I can post some pics.

Just joking! Dave will do it this afternoon.

Watch this space.

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Congratulations! You must be sooooo excited.

I'll definitely watch this space. Its ages since I was here on the forum.

Ash

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 pm

I got some pics with my phone, they will have to do for now :)

She has a real dappled appearance, so pretty!

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh my, Isn't she just GORGEOUS!!! I'm sure i'm the first to see her now.

I really envy you, Claire, Redzone :roll:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks Ash and welcome back!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 am

The name squidgette seems to be sticking. I think it suits her, elegant, graceful and unique. :mrgreen:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:13 am

She's beautiful Claire and Dave. I love the color. Her flights are so interesting. Her face is so sweet. Any names yet? What about tamaryn?

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 am

Lol posted at the same time

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 am

That's funny
When she settles in a bit more I will try and get more pics of her tail and flights.

I am convinced every young ringneck looks so sweet, even the one that latched onto the breeders finger looked so innocent!

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 am

That is a beautiful SL Edged Violet, nice bird Congratz !

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:36 am

Thanks.
Is there a translation on that colour scheme? I still haven't figured out what sl and edged means, apart from a pretty bird.
Ring0Neck wrote:

That is a beautiful SL Edged Violet, nice bird Congratz !

Edit: sl = sex linked?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:44 am

Yes.

Full mutation name is : Violet blue, Sex Linked Dominant Edged
is it a girl or a boy?

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 am

Girl, I think she was dna'd
We have a turquoise blue cock, don't know if we will breed them as they are house pets, but wanted a pretty girl just incase they/we get clucky...
Is that an ok pairing? We figured anything violet would compliment turquoise blue. We thought she was lavender.
Btw what does edged actually mean?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:25 am

I was going to say it is a hen, based on its color .
Yes i think you have a good pairing in case you decide to let them breed later on.
From that pairing all Males will be sl edged.

Yes it is a common thing in Oz, edged to be confused with Cinnamon, mainly because most edged have been mixed with cinnamon perhaps when imported, yours does not have cinnamon.
less then 2 years ago i would have also said Lavender .

Edged: refers to flight feathers (wings) being body color with an edged pattern on them
cinnamon would have a visible darker brown instead
see this pic below of a mature bird
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/dftuqEdged.jpg

I'm an Explorer

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks for explaining.
We have been marveling at that patterning on her wings since we picked her up yesterday. It's a stunning combination of colours and tones.

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 am

I told you that name was gonna stick. But there's still time to name her MissK! :lol:

Big congratulations!
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Lol missk! Dave has suddenly decided squidgette sounds too pretentious! lol seriously...
I don't quite get where he is coming from on that! It must be a cultural thing.

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

She is beautiful! Congratulations Clair and Dave! Let me know if you'd like me to baby-site Nila at all (even for an hour or two) whilst you are getting acquainted with Squidgette.

Ellie.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:44 pm

I really think tamaryn suits her :)

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks, Ellie. I'd love it if you could come visit her later in the week!
If you think Nila is a piggy you will be very impressed by her, she has had a bit of everything in her chop bowl! She makes Nila look like a picky little brat! I'm pretty impressed, I hope it continues.
She really liked Daves cereal too. She hasn't had much seed and I threw a tiny bit of pellets in there to, but can't tell if she's tried them yet.

Mel, I want to work on Dave until he comes round to Squidgette, it sounds even better if you say it with a fake French accent too. :wink:

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Dear goodness; if you Google Squidgette you actually get a lot of returns! Who Knew?!?!?!
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

:lol: even someone on a dating site used that is their profile. ... I wasn't brave enough to check out the pictures though. ..

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm

I think it might be Claire's kiwi accent that's making the name sound pretentious :P

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:39 pm

I bet it's so cute!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 pm

One of my club friends is from New Zealand. I'm going to ask her to say it so I can see if it sounds pretentious :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 am

I have no such resource. Maybe I'll just rewatch Crocodile Dundee and take it from there.........

Some naming brainstorm (maybe brainshower....):
Squidgette
SkweeJETta (pseudo-French)
Squidgin (like my little pigeon)
Jetta (you could name her after a car, or a 747!)
Etta (why not)
Ella (also nice)
Tamaryn (a lovely name)
Tamarind (hey, that's a food!)
Squiggy (have any of you ever seen the old TV show Laverne and Shirley.....?)
MissK (....... :wink: )
Squeegee (least pretentious name possible)
Squeakie (if she squeaks)
Squab (could be a pet name of sorts)
Betty Bluep (you know you want to name her Betty Bluep!)
Spiffy (she is pretty spiffy!)
Luvvie (my vote!)
Pretty Girl (brought to you by the one who used to keep both a Little Miss Kitty AND a Mr Cat, so maybe not the best choice)
Star (as in Star of India)
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 am

MissK wrote:I have no such resource. Maybe I'll just rewatch Crocodile Dundee and take it from there.........

Some naming brainstorm (maybe brainshower....):
Squidgette
SkweeJETta (pseudo-French)
Squidgin (like my little pigeon)love this one
Jetta (you could name her after a car, or a 747!)
Etta (why not)
Ella (also nice)
Tamaryn (a lovely name)im biased, this was my choice :wink:
Tamarind (hey, that's a food!)
Squiggy (have any of you ever seen the old TV show Laverne and Shirley.....?)
MissK (....... :wink: ) ummm...no comment :lol:
Squeegee (least pretentious name possible)
Squeakie (if she squeaks)
Squab (could be a pet name of sorts)im picturing a fancy pigeon
Betty Bluep (you know you want to name her Betty Bluep!)
Spiffy (she is pretty spiffy!)
Luvvie (my vote!)
Pretty Girl (brought to you by the one who used to keep both a Little Miss Kitty AND a Mr Cat, so maybe not the best choice)
Star (as in Star of India)
maybe...and this is my final vote...tamaryn star

And now I will forever leave you alone about names :D I have no issues with squidgette. It's kind of cute. I'm just trying to keep your mind open for possibilities. I am a bit concerned that her nickname might be squid :?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys! What about Miss Squidgette Tamaryn-Star? Squidgin is a great nick name too! Dave calls Nila his little pigeon, so it fits right in.

Missk, after Dundee watch Boy for an accurate kiwi accent reference. The trailer is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqfR8g-Qow

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:53 pm

That looks like fun all by itself!
-MissK

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Lol yeah boy is a great movie! Ps Squab is the word used to describe the base of a seat, I think thats tempting fate a little lol

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 pm

At least as much as a young bird we eat!!!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Redzone wrote:Lol yeah boy is a great movie! Ps Squab is the word used to describe the base of a seat, I think thats tempting fate a little lol
No squished birdies lol

MissK...I thought it was a fancy name for a young pigeon ???

I like Claire's suggestion. Miss Squidgette Tamaryn-Star (nickname squidgin) I hope she can live up to that stage name :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:10 pm

So, Miss Squidgin it is, then....... 8) I guess Claire and Dave will thank us for fixing this issue up for them.

The squab would be a young pigeon, especially one arriving on the dinner plate. Gastronomically, I think the term may be applied to young game birds in general, though I may be mistaken. :shock: I guess it could be a little disrespectful, all things considered, to name the pet that way. But it would be funny!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I don't know what they would do without us to guide them really. :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:36 pm

You guys are too funny! She's spent 2 days thinking I am going to eat her, I am not naming her after any kind of food :wink:

On the bright side, Squidgette is starting to think I am an intelligent being! You can see it in her eyes now. She seems to have noticed my attempts at speaking parrot body language and is checking out her food dish as I leave the room.
I have been dropping treats in it and leaving as soon as she is calm.

She didn't love the vet toweling her, but the vet was very gentle. The vet nurse was trying to figure out the mutation. Is there cinnamon in there too?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Is there cinnamon in there too?
I'd say No ! no cinnamon. unless the feet are pink & not greyish color like in the pics.
being a hen she looks similar to a double factor edged male, much lighter. (hens don't get DF)
as i mention earlier, most people qualify edged hens or df edged males as cinnamon for their lighter phenotype hence mixing it with cinnamon thinking they are putting cinnamon x cinnamon.
I'm an Explorer

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks. I will pass that on to her, she was very interested.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 am

Just wondering if there is any interest in me posting my progress diary, albeit an abridged version. I don't think anyone cares what colour poops she had each day (besides me).

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:24 am

I would read a thread on Squidgette. Actually, have been so far...... :)

And I don't see harm in putting in a one-line on her poop. What the heck. Everyone here has at least a faint interest in bird poop, I'm guessing. As Ellie pointed out to me some time earlier, you can use the forum to keep your bird notes in one place.

About the mutation- I noticed that I call all blue/violet birds "Blue" unless they really look "Purple". :lol: Green birds to me are "Green" unless they are "Olive", which in my world means any green with hints of brown in it. Lutino Birds are "Yellow" and Albino and Pallidino are, of course "White" or "Whitish".

I'm a mutation hobbyist's disgust!

Isn't it interesting how the colours are really fascinating to some of us and then to others they're just "Blue" and "Green"? It's not that I'm not interested in the colours, just uncharacteristically not obsessed with the nitty gritty of them. Doesn't stop me from thinking I might like to see a "Grey" bird in my living room.......

Just had some spare room in my brain today for rambling thoughts. :D
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:30 am

MissK...I'm shocked :o you more than any of us usually see the shades of grey in between :D

I would love to see a blog about squidgette and her progress, but maybe weekly. Otherwise ill be chained to my computer ever more than I already am and my house would fall down around me while my kids and birds take over. And I vote no poop lol. I see enough of it :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

:lol: Mel, they are very good looking poops though, even the beautiful dark green one she shot through the bars and onto to carpet! I'm slightly worried that one will stay a permanent feature of the house.... mild soap and water didn't fix it.... I might have to remove her from the room and wash the carpet with yucky stain removers.

I think Squidgettes colour does need a common name. Telling your friends she's a sl edged violet really doesn't explain anything over the phone.... maybe blueberry ripple?
It sounds as tasty as she looks!
What colour do you call her, missk?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Oh we have a new development! I'm probably going to regret being so pleased about this soon, but she's found her voice! She's been making horrible ringneck noises since after breakfast. Luckily Nila slept through it. It's going to be a bit interesting around here when they start contact calling from other ends of the house. .. deafening might be a better word. ..

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm

I hope she picks up Nila's contact call, not the other way round. As if thats gonna happen though lol

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm

InTheAir wrote:Mel, they are very good looking poops though, even the beautiful dark green one she shot through the bars and onto to carpet! I'm slightly worried that one will stay a permanent feature of the house.... mild soap and water didn't fix it.... I might have to remove her from the room and wash the carpet with yucky stain removers.
Have you tried baking soda and vinegar? You need to mix them on the stain itself as the chemical reaction occurring when they meet is what helps to lift the stain.

Maybe you need some dropsheets down until she can share Nila's space?

Ellie.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Just call her violet edged. You can drop the sl lol. But if you'd really like a common name I like blueberry ripple. Maybe MissK will come up with something too. :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:10 pm

Fine.
She's ~Periwinkle.~

Did I ever tell you about my first Budgie, Little Bluebird of Mayhem? Breeder paperwork listed him as a rare cobalt opaline........

He was blue.
I called him Birdie.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Lol missk. I'd probably just describe him as a very pretty budgie!
I think the name of the colour should evoke an image of the colour that doesn't require years of intense study on mutations.... Turquoise makes sense, cinnamon makes sense, pallid makes sense but edged doesn't really conjure up a sense of what it looks like... if I tell my mum my new bird is edged she will be imagine it has violet outlines on its feathers or something. Lol
Maybe her name should be Miss Squidgette blueberry ripple tamaryn-star.. That sound like a crazy horse or dog breeder show name though. I once bought a chestnut pony called brookefields little boy blue. I called him pony, but he would whinney at you across the paddock if you yelled 'eh, bro'.
Wow I ramble a lot.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Ellie. That sound like fun. I had moved the cage off the cardboard when she dropped that beauty. She is even better at flinging passion fruit than Nila is too! And she made up a new game, knock the water bowl on the floor. She did it a couple times this morning before I decided to to use a different dish for water.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:19 am

My favorite game is fling the raspberries at the white wall :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:34 am

Skyes_crew wrote:My favorite game is fling the raspberries at the white wall :mrgreen:
have you tried it with pasta? I highly recommend it.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:06 am

Ill have to try that one :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 am

You can tell if it's cooked properly cos it glues itself to the wall!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 am

I've heard that. I was always afraid if my kids saw me do it then they'd be throwing their dinner at the wall. We had a thanksgiving incident in 2008 that ended in a food fight. I was shocked when my husband flung the first spoonful of mashed potatoes. My kids thought it was hysterical. I couldn't let them think mom wasn't cool. So I retaliated. My dining room carpet was never the same again. :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:37 am

I don't care what ya say; deep down, everybody loves a food fight.

Pomegranate - Rocky didn't care about pomegranate, and Dr. Scott displayed no evidence of having tried it, but Riff Raff had a pomegranate-stained head for WEEKS. It was so unattractive I sort of decided I would not serve that again.

I'm interested to see who learns which call at the Nila/Squidgette homestead. On the one hand, Squidgin is a baby, engineered to learn from what's around her. On the other hand, Nila is a more advanced learner, and has been practicing the skill of learning for some time. I feel while Squidgette might be more naturally disposed to learn, Nila is probably better at it overall.

Of course I see a third alternative - teach them both a novel call at the same time. If I had to place money on it, my money would be on Miss Squidgette learning the Nila call. I don't have any money, of course (the dog ate it), so I'll just offer a piece of jute. Good thing I have plenty of that!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 am

MissK wrote:
Of course I see a third alternative - teach them both a novel call at the same time. If I had to place money on it, my money would be on Miss Squidgette learning the Nila call. I don't have any money, of course (the dog ate it), so I'll just offer a piece of jute. Good thing I have plenty of that!
Lets ummm make sure that jute is kept way up off the floor :wink:

Here's how the baby and older bird interaction went down in my house. Now granted this was the opposite gender introduction than yours so results may vary. Geez I sound like a commercial lol. Anyway, when the two birds were finally introduced hamlet became very quiet in light of skyes obsession with talking over everyone else. I thought the bird was a mute. One day while I was cleaning the bird room floor, listening to Skye ramble on, I looked up and realized it wasn't Skye talking...it was hamlet. He literally picked up everything she said, right down to the tone and inflection of her voice. And it's happened again in my house but this time from hamlet to Chico. So now I have three IRN's that say the same exact things, call the same exact way. It's creepy lol.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:17 pm

I think a food fight would be Nilas idea of heaven, he'd just sit there with his beak open and see how much he could catch! :wink:

I almost bought a pomegranate the other day, Nila has never tried it, but they were imported so bought some locally grown raspberries instead since they are just as messy.

I'd put my money on Nila learning her contact call immediately, if I hadn't spent it all on a health check and bird toys and another cage.... He learnt Janey and Charlie's noise after hanging out with them for a few hours!

Wow that's cool mel! I hope we see that phenomenon. Nila says his phrases in several different ways, so it could be interesting. It would be so cool if she learns the evil laugh that Nila does into his coup cup to amplify it...

Dave is trying to teach Nila a new contact call at present. He wants one person/bird to say bok bok bok and the other to answer I'm a chicken.

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Skyes_Crew - I think there WAS some jute in there............. It's in a baggie defrosting now.

InTheAir - Rocky and I do the two part call. We established the single note call first and, when that was solid, added a two part whistle after. It isn't perfect, which is to say it's not A-B every time. It might be (if Rocky is the first letter in the pair and I am the second) A-B, A-B, A-B, B-whatever I choose. By the same token, it can go A-B, A-B, A-B, B-A, B-A, B-A, A-B, A-B, A-B, etc. Very cute. Any variation is possible. Sometimes we get stuck in A-A, A-A, A-A for a while. Sometimes it's B-B, B-B, B-B. Usually, though, it's just a series of A-B or B-A. Now and then he will stick in a three note call I was hoping to integrate but was too mentally lazy to finish, or his version of the wolf whistle. He has other whistles but, interestingly, they do not ever show up in the contact call series.

Tell Redzone to keep at it! The two part call in whistles is really fun - with Boks and Chickens it's bound to be exponentially better.

Incidentally, I might have mentioned, it was this two part call that softened the hard heart of my non-bird-endorsing friend when she was visiting. She watched an exchange of A-B, A-B, A-B with little appreciation, but when I threw in an out-of-sequence A and Rocky answered with a B, I saw the magic in her smile. Right there she got it, she understood a Ringneck could be more than just another animal you have to feed and clean after. It also set her up to appreciate Rocky's version of "Tweet! Tweet!", though to be honest it's not very clear and she wouldn't have understood it if I had not also said "Tweet! Tweet!"
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 am

The calls are how the boys seem to be amusing themselves at work this week! There are definite benefits to running your own business :mrgreen:

Tweet tweet is the cutest thing for a bird to say. Rocky is a star!

On the new bird front, she is slowly making progress towards accepting us, despite me making some major errors. She stays quite near her dish while I drop treats in it and looks at her dish a couple times when I enter her room. Favourite food today is mandarin.
She also chomped some balsawood in a most enthusiastic manner and I saw her have a brief nibble on some other toys.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 am

Uh oh...she's inquisitive. You're going to have your hands full with this one :D

I've often thought of trying the two part call or phrase with one of my birds. The only one that seems to be picking up words lightning fast right now is Cyrano. He can't whistle yet though. I have no clue why??? Since the video he's picked up peekaboo, good boy, and what I think he's trying to turn into "don't be mad". I definitely want to see the bok bok...I'm a chicken one if you achieve it. Any suggestions for me and Cyrano?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 am

"I'm a chainsaw... with wings!" And "I can ffflllllyyyyyy!"

I took a video of her chomping balsa and of our interaction as I approach to put more yummies in her dish. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't make a video record a few days ago for comparison! She stays so much closer the the bowl already and looks interested rather than worried. I can't wait until her a Nila can hang out and do bird things together!

Oh and my laptop had a major hissy fit so I spent half the day trying to back it up in case it's on its way out.

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 am

Absolutely beautiful. Little Miss Squidgette Tamaryn Star has such lovely color on the wings! I look forward to reading all about her development.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Noooo not the laptop. Time for a new one :)

I like the chainsaw. Don't know if he can master the ch sound yet but lets try :D

I can't wait to see video of Nila and Squidgin zooming around the house together.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, Ranechild. I can wait to get some good open wing photos!
She is also a chainsaw. I think I should have called her destructobeak! She is demolishing her spiral rope perch already. I might have to take it out of her cage soon.
She is also very confident about new things in her cage, she heads straight over to investigate them.
She came up and grabbed some apple while I was dropping it into the dish this morning.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Welcome to my world :lol: everything I buy them gets destroyed.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 am

She's taking mandarin pieces from my finger! I'm so happy with my clever girl!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:57 am

Proud mama :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 am

It's hard not to be when living with 2 perfect parrots :mrgreen:

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:35 am

I was very lucky and got to meet Squidgette today. She is very beautiful and a very sweet bird too. Nice to see Claire's patience and perseverance is paying off. Well done Claire.

Ellie.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Nila has been sitting on his tree talking to us from the other room and squidgette decided to join in from upstairs. Nila softly imitated it. I guess that answers who will modify their call fastest, but whether it will turn into the dominant contact call between them is yet to be decided.
Have you guys watched the David Attenborough lyre bird clip on you tube?

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Do you have a link....I'm lazy :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:05 pm

That is truly the most amazing bird I have ever seen. My kids thought the chainsaw was hysterical. I loved the kookaburra. I have an audio if that bird from the zoo here.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 am

I love hearing kookaburras, though we don't get them in our neighbourhood often. The last house I lived in regularly had one visit that would take treats from your hand.
I've heard Nila do a pretty good impression of one a couple times after a camping trip, not as good as the lyrebird does though.
I really like tui from nz too. They mimic a bit too, there was a wild one that hung out near a house I lived at who did a pitch perfect phone ringing as the end of his call.
I have considered giving Nila a cd of my favourite bird calls to listen to on the rare occasions we leave him home alone in the hope he picks some up.

I'm so proud of my boys right now, they were training together and working on some ring tricks on the tree tonight!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 am

You're lucky you get to see wild free birds like that. I only get to see the poor caged ones. I too thought of playing a bird call. Wonder which of my flock would pick that one up :)

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm

You guys must have some really interesting birds over there?
Australia really suits my lazy bird watching style, I get to count the species of waterbirds while driving to Daves shed. On Sunday's I drive past a roundabout that's usually littered with cockys. I see galahs and pigeons from the house, and barry the bush turkey does our yard work for us (we mow and he rakes). One of his chicks ended up in our house once, and made itself at home in the fruit bowl. And I see little bats in the back yard, no idea what kind though. Bat id is hard!
I've seen kangaroo casually hopping through the university grounds or having a nap in the sun. That's pretty cool.
I think my life would be complete if an echidna moved into our garden... :D and some fairy wrens would be good too.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Hawaii has some fabulous nectar birds. Just not where I am unfortunately. They live mostly on the other islands like Kauai and maui and the rainforest of Hilo. I live too near to the city. If I retire to Hawaii it's going to be to Hilo. I've grown to dislike oahu. Australia must be like a zoological lesson every time you step outside your door. Someday soon I'm going to get there. The military has what are called "hops" that fly there a couple of times a week. If I could square a sitter away, I just may be knocking on your door one day soon :D

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Hey we have plenty of spare rooms, lol!

Yeah australia IS kind of like living in a big zoo, I grew up only 10 k's from here at forest glen, where wallabies grazed on the grass near the clothes line during winter, you could spot the occasional koala in the trees, and observe taipans sunning themselves on the brick window sills on a regular basis LOL

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Dave...just rub it in lol :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 am

I do think the best thing about living where we do is that I haven't seen a taipan, orany other snakes! I love lizards and birds and mammals and marsupials, but I'm petrified of snakes! Even tiny tame ones give me the heebeegeebies!