Baby

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ciqala20

Baby

Post by ciqala20 »

really wish i could get a baby hand raised irn. i love the bird i have but it would be nice to be able to teach one things as it grows up
jhebert9

Re: Baby

Post by jhebert9 »

Yeah, I bought a 1 year old blue pallid hen and she couldn't be tamed. I ended up trading her to a breeder who promised me a chick this season!
Darwin, Turquoise Chick
lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

I bought mine from Thebestbird.com for 400 as a baby and he was hand raised
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What mutation was your bird?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

He is blue the guy said
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is that what baby blues are going for in your area? Wow!!!! What state are you from?

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Skyes_crew wrote:Is that what baby blues are going for in your area? Wow!!!! What state are you from?
WOW :shock: Guess we got a good deal. We picked Quinn up just after he/she was weaned and paid $150.00 . It was a 300 mile round trip but we are so happy with him it was well worth it ! :mrgreen:

Just takin a break !

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Blues here in Hawaii go for about $150 also. That's why I asked what state she was from. That seems really expensive. I paid $275 for my violet here.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I think it maybe included shipping?
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yeah, I went to the best bird to shop prices and it includes a shipping charge that brings the price to like $391. Shouldn't have gone on there though lol. I have like $20,000 worth of birds in my cart :shock:

MissK

Post by MissK »

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!

The same thing happened to me!
I went to Drs Foster and Smith website to get plain canary grass seed (thanks to them for carrying it!!) and who knows what all else I put in my cart! Oh dear goodness, I spent twice as much! And you know I buy two of everything, so I don't end up one day having to completely outfit the second cage all at once. :roll: :o :roll:

I was very happy with the prices of SS coop cups, though. I got some larger so when I amputate that fig branch I can put some cups on it. *IF* I ever relocate my drill.....
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Well you can never have too many SS coop cups. I have a back up pile too. Well it's more of a scattering all over the place :roll: you still haven't found that drill!!!!

I've come to the conclusion that if I had never gotten married and had kids that I probably would have been an animal hoarder. I need my husband to set my boundaries. Thank goodness for him :wink:

lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

That was cheap all ringnecks go for anywhere from 400 and up. Im from Maine. The shipping was only 130
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

$275 for a violet blue! I paid $675! Though regular blues were like $200.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

ranechild wrote:$275 for a violet blue! I paid $675! Though regular blues were like $200.
Well admittedly my breeder is a friend lol...normal pricing is around $350 for sf and $400 for df though which is still quite a bit lower. :D

lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

There are not meany breaders here in Maine for any kind of birds sadly
MissK

Post by MissK »

Don't feel bad, guys! I paid $165 for a half wild, ten year old, normal green rehab project! Local rescue group is charging $75 for any Ringneck. But didn't we all get what we wanted in the end? I'd do it again. And it's a done deal, so all's well that ends well.

8)
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We did get what we wanted...and no matter how much. My rescue blue was $200 even though a baby was $150. Don't choke MissK :wink: But I would have paid double. :D I'm just amazed at the price differences from one coast to the other and in between.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nilas granddaddy apparently cost over a grand, don't know how much the lady who owns Nilas daddy paid for him, but I only paid $100 for Nila. Irns must be the only things that lose value as fast as a new car! I think Nilas gd is turquoise blue too, don't know about splits though.
Our baby

Post by Our baby »

I was at the markets yesterday a lady had 5 week old white ringnecks forsale $50 each wanted to buy the lot they were so beautiful will just wait to my ringneck gets his ring
My baby
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Our baby wrote:I was at the markets yesterday a lady had 5 week old white ringnecks forsale $50 each
That's so disturbing! I wonder how many of them will be killed by being hand raised by novices who bought them on a whim?!
How irresponsible!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What's even more disturbing is that they probably came from multiple clutches being that there were multiple albinos. You don't normally get a whole clutch of just albinos unless she bred albino to albino so she probably has babies from multiple clutches in her backyard breeding/hoarding program. Poor birds :(

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I can think of lots of quicker ways to earn $50!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Well think of it this way. It's better to sell them off cheap than to cull them from the clutches the way they used to. The way some breeders still do. :(

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I would much rather see baby's humanely euthanized, then die in a nasty slow way. I'm sure not all of them will, I'm a pessimist.
What I would rather see is the babies raised properly, if the breeder has too many birds to raise maybe they need to rethink how many pairs they are breeding or find someone who knows how to hand raise birds to do it.
Our baby

Post by Our baby »

I think it is really mean how alot of people get a pet an then dont have the time for them in the end get rid of them
My baby
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think it's probably more like the breeder breeds Lutino's, blues and greens, and doesn't want the albinos so gives them away cheap instead of culling them. And there is nothing humane about how they do it. There are professional hand feeders out there who could have done it for her, but then she would have had to put more out of pocket expense. This is one of the reasons I want to be a breeder. So I feel I have a little control over how some are treated. Not as a paycheck, not as a science experiment, but for the love of the birds.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Mel, I hope you have started writing the info sheets to go with any pets you sell. . All 50 pages of advice :wink:

There's a lady up here who will raise babies on commission or just buy them cheap from the breeder and sell them when they are weaned. That would be preferable to selling them to any impulse buyer at the market.

I am really dubious about ever breeding from Nila, as much as he has a great personality and nice colouring, there is an over supply of ringnecks here. Though we did pick a complimentary coloured second bird, if little squidgy turns out to be a girl Dave wants to keep one if they ever breed.... but there would still be extras to rehome :(
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

After reading through my...ahem..."advice"...nobody would want to purchase a ringneck from me. :wink: of course there would be a return clause at the end. Nobody will have the opportunity for financial gain off of a defenseless bird just because that person is too stupid to follow my 50 page manual :lol:

I think Nila and Sqidgy would make cute babies if they wind up being a couple :D problem is once they breed once,they want to keep breeding :shock:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I keep getting this premonition of walking around in a house completely coated with turquoise violet ringnecks, having to watch where you step because there are hundreds on the floor.... Every time you try to eat a biscuit you get mobbed... :shock:

I'd buy a ringneck off you just so I could read the manual!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hmmmm...hundreds of turq violets yelling peekaboo. Which asylum would you like me to book you in to? :wink:

I think I've subjected enough people to my advice in the forum lol. The last thing I need to do is write a manual :lol: