Have you "adopted" a bird before?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

Have you "adopted" a bird before?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Have you adopted a previously owned bird before?
I was looking at getting another bird and thought about adoption.
Have any of you done this? And if you have how is it working out?
Donna

Re: Have you "adopted" a bird before?

Post by Donna »

Depends what kind of bird you want to adopt. some of your larger parrots such as cockatoos and macaws that come from a previous owner has major issues and problems that takes an experienced bird person to deal with. Your smaller birds may have issues but much easier to deal with. Adoption is great if you know the birds history and you know what your gettingg into. Good Luck!!! Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
bec

Post by bec »

ve got alot of my birds from a parrot rescue
almost all of the budgies
3 out of four of my tiels the king parrot was bought from a friend that got him from the same parrot rescue as i use
and trivi as well as kieron altho kieron was not from a rescue
kieron was quite easy to bring back to tamish (he never did like to be patted)
trivi has been alot harder i have had trivi fpr about 14 months sofar & yet to be able to touch her at all (i did make the desicion not to attempt forcing her to accept me in any way coz of her broken wing) she has alot of trust issues and i dont know itf she will ever trust the touch of a human hand but she talks (birdie speak) to me & some of my friends too now
as donna said knowing their history can make alll the difference to how to go about handling a adopted bird
effekt

Post by effekt »

Adopting a parrot is a great thing to do, and considering all the poor birdies out there who need a home, you are doing a great thing to give them a safe, secure and happy place to live.

But as people said, adopting a bird has its own issues. Your bird will have a history, and much of the way it behaves will depend on previous owners. Many people don't know how to handle a bird, so they reinforce bad habits and such.

I adopted my Goffins cockatoo. She's the sweetest bird but has some behavior problems from previous owners. Cockatoos are already very challenging animals and not to be taken lightly. You have to be VERY dedicated to own one.

Other birds vary, but usually, the larger the bird, the more complex their behaviors and needs are. Smaller birds can be easier to deal with, although they can be a challenge as well, especially if they have learned bad habits or have learned that biting and screaming will get them what they want.

I do hope that if you choose to get another bird, that you try adopting one! It is a challenge like anything, but very rewarding!
Enephis

Post by Enephis »

Nearly all my animals are adopted.

My IRN was around 6 years old when I got him. I had no idea about taming and was eating books on parrots for the first week. There wasn't much useful info, but he on his own proved to be a good teacher and we managed to tame each other.
I guess it's true about previously learned aggressive or annoying behaviour. He was screaming at almost everyone, refused to leave his cage and liked to bite and draw blood like a vampire. He also came with a habit of cliping his own tail and flight feathers.
Now he is this sweet lil' fella, who puts his beak next to my eye and preens my lashes. I can hold and examine him anywhere and I can't remember the last time he bit me stronger than a gentle nibble. We're still working on the feathers though.

I say go for it, if you're willing to learn and read and learn some more. And if you can be creative and flexible with using the information. Oh, and did I mention time and patience?
Last edited by Enephis on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kaiser&abbey

Post by kaiser&abbey »

Hi all,

2 of my 4 handraised inside birds are adopted, and for the most part they are great.
After 2 years my adopted IRN (3 when I got him) is still a nervous boy but happy sitting on your shoulder.
And my adopted Alexandrine (5 when I got her) is an amazing bird.
I have to agree with Donna & Effekt about the larger rescue birds , many ive seen have terrible habbits like feather plucking and screaming which is sad. Best for someone experienced in the species i would imagine.
It very much depends on their background and what they have been through.
I dont regret adopting Ive got 2 fantastic birds, and now they have me :lol:

Good Luck
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

i've been thinking about adopting but i cant find anywhere!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I was really thinking about it but the only place that i could find was in QLD and it would be impossible for them to come see where it would be living ect, which was a part of thier requirments
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhh okey! i found a place but they wanted all this personal information! i called a lady about a little corella a couple of days ago and my dad went and had a look at him today for me cause he's in sydney :D:D:D:D dads picking him up on the weekend and bring him up in a couple of weeks :D im soooo excited!! he's name is charlie :] he's 5 months old and comes with a huge cage! dad said he's perfect :] he said he's already talking and gives kisses and dances! cant WAIT to get him, im over the moon!!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Congrats :)
kaiser&abbey

Post by kaiser&abbey »

congrats kimmy! :D corellas are so cuddley, very affectionate and big clowns. im sure youll love him
good luck
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Keep busy and time will go by fairly quickly.
Congrats on Charlie. :D
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

thanks guys :D probably wont get him for another 2 weeks :[ !! dad said he's very scared of hands, which is weird :/ we think the bf did something to charlie cause thats why she got rid of him, because of the bf. plus dad said it looks like he's never had fruit or veg before. they said its like he gains their trust by night time but come to morning he's totally forgotten. i cant wait till they bring him up though :] dad said he's very affectionate just very nervous. it'll take time but i've got all the time in the world :D:D I JUST WANT HIM NOW!!!! hahahaha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Don't forget all these new changes for Charlie going to live with your parents for a few weeks then move in with you, could be a bit stressful for him, so don't get too disheartened if Charlie takes a while to settle into a routine and feel comfortable with you. :)
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

yeeeeyuh i know! im kinda worried about how he will go being in a car for 8 hours, he will be fine though. :]
bec

Post by bec »

for the trip to you tell your dad to put halves of orange in his travel cage
orange hss a natural calming effect for one & for another its a a source of fluids that wont be spilled in the car
& if your dad has noticed music he seems to like at his hose to bring it with him
also if he has a favourite toy put that in his travel cage the more familar things he has with him the better