Will it change my birds bond to me?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

rockguy

Will it change my birds bond to me?

Post by rockguy »

Hi, new to the forum. I have had a Ringneck for the last twenty years and we have a great relationship. I have the opportunity to get a second Ringneck but I am concerned that it will effect on the bond that we have. Will my current Ringneck be jealous of the new bird?
ellieelectrons

Re: Will it change my birds bond to me?

Post by ellieelectrons »

That may happen. Do you have an opportunity for your birds to get to spend some time together before you decide to take him on? How old is the other bird?

If you don't want him to be jealous of the new bird, when you first bring the new one home, you should still give most of your attention to your existing bird. As they bond to each other, you can spend more time on the new bird.

Do you know how to introduce two birds to each other? There have been a few threads dedicated to this. You should do it really, really gradually. Eg. start with having them both in different sections of the house and let them whistle to each other... then move them into the same room... then move them so that their cages are touching.... when they are showing interest in each other then introduce them to each other in neutral territory... always keep an eye on them when they are together as IRNs can get violent. That's just a quick overview. There are threads that explain it in more detail.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Hi, wow 20 years? Must be one of the eldest IRNs on here if not the eldest! You must have a very special bond!
To be honest and in my opinion, bringing another ringneck into the home will more than likely 'change' your bond and I say 'change' because it might not completely break your bond but it will be different. If you can accept that your bird might spend a lil more time with a new bird, (if they get along) and that you might have to take a step back. Although your older bird will still be close to you, it might not be the same bond as before. Im not saying s/he will go completely wild and have no interest in you. But you will need to keep 'your' time with s/he separate.. and be prepared there might be some rivalry between them. You will need to find the suitable bird that your bird gets along with.
In my experience, I had my Jibby 6 years, he was a lone bird (accept for a couple of cockatiels we had when he was about 1 year old which he had no interest in). Always bonded to me or my sister. I am so lucky to have shared such a bond, he was very tame too, could do anything with him, he was so chilled out! He even used to have naps with me and sit on my bedhead and preen my hair while I napped lol. I decided he might want a bird companion, knowing it might break our bond. I got a baby, which turned out to be female.. and so they mated when she reached maturity. I tried to spend equal time with both of them. I kept 'our time' separate from the new arrival. We'd have showers together and cuddle times. But nature overpowered them! Slowly they just wanted each others company. Now my boy is 10 years old. He will still come to me every now and then, step up and try to eat my food lol, but he is more bonded with his 'wife' and very protective of her, alot more snappy than he was before. I wouldnt say he is 'wild' but he'd rather just be a bird now! :roll: I still get the 'occasional' cuddle. :wink:
I say, if you want to keep things as they are with your bird, think carefully about introducing another.. if you can accept things might change.. and your bird will be happy with the right bird companion.. go for it. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
rockguy

Post by rockguy »

Thanks so much for your replies. As it turns out the person I was going to get the second Ringneck from changed there mind at the last minute. This may have been for the best as I really enjoy the situation the way it is, I'm happy and the bird is happy. Why mess with success!