Baby help

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Dj tweet

Baby help

Post by Dj tweet »

Hi all I know this is the wrong section to post in but it has been several days with no response in the breeding section and I need advice please

I have the joy of being able to take a baby from the nest at 4 weeks old
I'm wondering if it's ok to pull just 1 baby or if I Need to pull them all
if I can do just one is there anything special I should do so hen don't regect other chicks
also this would be the pairs 1st clutch is it ok to pull babies or should I leave them to raise them themselves
I don't want to upset their future breeding
julie

Re: Baby help

Post by julie »

my boy came from a nest where others stayed with no problem. The hen focusses on the remaining babies.

are you up to speed with hand raising or do you need some basic pointers?
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Mine is the same, he came from a large nest where 2 stayed and it was no problem, don't give yourself more work than necessary! Having one little life in your hands is plenty and your bird will love you for it! Good luck! 8)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't know anything about handraising birds... but I did read something saying that you are better to handraise with more than one if you can otherwise you are likely to raise a bird that is too humanised. What do others think of that point of view?

Both of ours were handraised with brothers and sisters... but I sometimes wonder if our first was taken away too soon from her brothers and sisters because she seems to think she is a human and not a bird... or maybe it's the way we treat her?

Ellie.
Dj tweet

Post by Dj tweet »

Thanks all
yes I have hand raised before but in all cases to date they have all Been all removed so just wanted to know about removing just 1

I don't know about the humanising but I had red several times that those who take a baby into their home after it wad hand raised by someone else it has a better bond to it's née owner than one who was raised by the owner from the start

They say the reasoning behind this which i can see alot of sense in is becausf in wild and even in aviary the parents start the bird in it's life and teach it how to be a bird ( the part played by the hand raiser ) but then that bird goes and finds it's own way and finds a mate for life in most cases ( you the owner )
a bird in the wild will not breed with it's parents when possible
I hope that makes sense
I don't know what others have found but it seems very fiesable to
me