wing clipping

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

zeke3

wing clipping

Post by zeke3 »

Tiki came to me with clipped wings in March, and i have a vet appointment on Tuesday to have them trimmed, i have Tiki clipped as i'm in a wheelchair and it just makes it easier for me to keep things under control. i'm just asking opinions not looking for an argument why do you have your irn clipped or flighted?
pinkdevil

Re: wing clipping

Post by pinkdevil »

I prefer to leave my birds flighted as I like to see them fly around the house.
BUT I do usually give them a one time clip when they have learnt to fly and get a bit ignorant and hard to catch when they need to go back to their cages. I find this one clip usually brings them back into line and I can train them to go back to the cage. By the time the wings have grown back, the birds are used to going back with no dramas.
The only reason I don't keep my birds clipped now is a few years ago I bought 2 birds who were kept clipped, a galah and a sun conure. Both birds had to be retaught it was ok to fly. I was sad for them as even though they could fly, they didn't know how to anymore.
I guess if my situation was different where I had people or children going in and out of the house or a chance a door or window could be left open, then I would continue to clip. I do miss not being able to take my birds outside with me and let them roam around without the worry of them flying off like I used to do with the birds mentioned above, but there are predatory birds here, so not safe for my birds anyway.
If my situation changes, I would clip if needed, to keep my birds safe and home. :)
zeke3

Post by zeke3 »

i would love to see tiki fly its just not practical for my situation and i think my dogs would think it was a great game to chase a flying bird through the house but i must admit i sometimes do feel guilty that i've taken such a natural ability from him
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think a clipped bird can be quite happy if plenty of love and stimulation is provided to keep the bird occupied.

I have an african grey who is fully flighted. He does not really fly all that much. Most of the time he flies to follow me if I go into another room or he flies from his cage to his play perch which is usually no more than a meter away from his cage anyway. He seems more than happy ripping things apart or climbing down to the floor and go for an adventure at ground level rather than fly anywhere. :lol:

I had a ringneck that was not into flying that much either, wanted to sit on my shoulder and be taken everywhere. Guess she was into saving energy. :wink:
zeke3

Post by zeke3 »

tiki blows me away how fast he can move on the floor
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Gomez was clipped when I got him... I probably won't clip him again as he is just not interested in flying. The only time he does fly is to find me or to fly back to his cage, he just likes to sit on top and watch everything going on.
I would only clip a bird to help make it easier to handle.