NEED HELP AND OPINIONS

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

sarahb

NEED HELP AND OPINIONS

Post by sarahb »

well its coming up to my daughters birthday well in two week actually and im getting her her own bird well bigger bird she has a budgie but it isn't very social and she's always going on about getting a big bird i have ringnecks of course but i wanted to get her something different Ive lined up two options

1. Sun conure hand raised about 7 weeks old $350 and 3hrs away
2. quaker not sure of its age but it says its a 09 bred hen parent raised $100 and about an 1hr and half away

now i wanted to know do you guys think the quaker will take much to get to a pet stage ? as u can see it would be the much cheaper option but i am worried about it not being tame as it says it is parent raised do you think it will take much to tame? i know its hard to say not knowing what the bird is like but i thought someone might know how the breed is generally. Or do you think the sun conure would be more suitable as it is hand raised and still young i really just want something tame and friendly and playful for my little girls birthday any opinions would be appreciated thanks :?
sarahb

Re: NEED HELP AND OPINIONS

Post by sarahb »

p.s price isn't the issue or travel but if the potential is there for the quaker it would be allot less drama picking up the bird ect but again if the sun conure would be the better option i dont mind either
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have not had any experience with Quakers so can not say from first hand experience about them but people who do own them say they are great little birds.
Being an aviary bred bird would take some time, effort and a lot of patience to tame it down and who is to say that you would have a tame bird that you are after in the end.

You say one of the reasons you want to upgrade from a budgie is because the budgie is not very social. I think an already tame bird would suit better for what you are after.
You kinda answered yourself by saying "i really just want something tame and friendly and playful for my little girls birthday". :)

How old will your daughter be?

Good luck in choosing and hope all goes well....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you daughter. :)
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Thanks yes i have been driving myself nuts trying to decide what to do and when i ask for my hubbys opinion all i get is what ever u think darl which doesn't help much lol i think Ive been thinking about it to much my first instinct was the sun conure but like i said i thought so much i think it just got me confused. My daughter will be 5 though she acts like shes 10 lol she really loves animals and i cant believe how good she is with them she had a budgie before the one she has now but it died one night no idea why but she loved it so much and it would of been the quietest budgie Ive ever seen she used to carry it around in a basket it might of been old age i have no idea as we only got it from the markets i found it one morning and when she woke up i told her he must of flown away as there pony died recently and didn't want to put the budgies death on her to. heres a pic of Taliah and her old budgie named sunny

sarahb

Post by sarahb »

well we will be picking "Goldie" ( my daughters chosen name for her/him) on Sunday so im super excited and so is she we got sent some pics of the little one tonight and my daughter just fell in love she was like awww what a cutie i think this will be in her opinion and mine the best birthday pressie to date

heres a pic of goldie
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Congrats on Goldie!!!
S/he is a real cutie. They are a great little package, full of get-up-&-go, smart, and a willingness to please. I taught my Sunny to wave in next to no time. He still remembers how to do it even though he is now in an aviary and we don't practice it much. I can go months without asking him to wave then ask him and he will do it. Only problem is, if I don't have a food reward handy, he will only do it 2 or 3 times before he refuses. VERY food motivated. :lol: