Tap dancing....???

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lilly

Tap dancing....???

Post by Lilly »

Today Gomez started almost tap dancing... alternately slapping his feet hard on the perch and every now and then a wing twitch!? He looks healthy and of course these things always happen on a Sunday when a vet isn't open. I don't know wether it's just him being a Ringneck or maybe a reaction to mites or something...?? He seems happy enough apart from this and is preening my hair and doing his "Awwww" at me!
Has anyone else experienced this behavior :?:
pinkdevil

Re: Tap dancing....???

Post by pinkdevil »

I am not sure if it applies to IRN's, but Eclectus parrots can get what is commonly called 'toe tapping & wing flicking'. The bird constantly taps the foot and or flicks the wings uncontrollably. Can be very stressful for the bird. This behaviour has been linked to a vitamin deficiency and usually clears up after vitamin medication in the water and adjustment to the diet. But like I said, not sure if ringies suffer from it.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Well I am thinking they must do as what you describe sounds exactly as he is doing...! I did take him to the vet and he said he couldn't find anything wrong but I will try adjusting his food a little and add some supplements. Thanks for your help! :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have not heard of it in ringies, but you never know!

Is it simillar to this footage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUMv1g87Kc
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Yes exactly that....! So it looks like they can suffer with it, looks like I better do a bit more research into his diet for him and some extra vitamins. I give him fresh veg and fruit morning and evening and he has pellets but wont touch them. He has extra seed also... do you know which lack of vitamins causes this...?
I can see it's stressful for him... it's also stressful watching him, the vet seemed to think he was Ok... useless! :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh that is a shame if it is toe tapping. :(
I still cannot find any info on ringies getting it though.

You could try adding a calcium suppliment to the water and provide cuttle bone as well.
Does your ringie spend any time in natural sunlight?
Sunlight helps in the absorbtion of calcium also there has been some success of toe tapping in eckies when sunlight is provided.

Another thing that could be triggering toetapping is zinc or other poisioning, neuropathy, or excessive vitamin supplements.

Is there a avian vet near by where you could have a more expert opinion?

Here are a few links to toe tapping in eclectus parrots. May be of some help.

http://www.avesint.com/toetap.html

http://www.eclectusbreeder.com/toetapping.htm

http://www.eclectusparrots.net/toetapping.html

Hope you can find the sorce of the problem and all goes well.

Fingers crossed for you.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

It's the toe tapping I'm 100% sure.... I will try film it later and post it here for others to see and make sure they can avoid this... somehow!
I'm going to strip back his vitamins and feed and introduce it slowly back in to see what's causing it. Back to organic fruit and veg and then work from there. I am in the process of searching for a avian vet.
I usually put him outside in good weather (I'm in Holland) in the afternoons, at the moment the weather is good so he should be getting plenty of natural sunlight.
I hate to see him like this :(

Fingers crossed!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

How is the toe tapping going now???
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Hi sorry I only just saw this, the tapping has stopped luckily!
I changed his diet to a very wide range of different fruits, lots of greens and organic seeds.
I still mean to upload the video so if someone else has this problem they know ringnecks can get it too.

I will find it and upload it.

He's a very happy lil bird and very affectionate! :D
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Just added the video.... I did have a better video where it was more extreme but filmed it sideways DoH!

Anyway... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_eiK4xIiF4
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol I am sure we could have turned our heads to watch it :P
Is there a program that enables you to rotate videos?

Glad to hear problem is fixed. It is amazing what a change in diet can do. I still have not heard of ringies having the problem, but the video certainly proves otherwise.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Just wondering... I once read that using cooking spray or teflon coated cookware could poison birds. After reading this, we went out and bought stainless steel fry pans, etc. and got rid of the non-stick stuff... Someone mentioned earlier that maybe the bird was experiencing poisoning... Is it possible that it could be caused by something like that? Just thought I'd mention it as an idea. I have no idea whether it does actually poison birds.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have also read teflon coating can release poison when heated.

I have an Eclectus parrot that developed toe tapping. I am not sure what caused it as he is an aviary bird and has a varied diet that I use as a guide from an Eclectus book. I gave him extra vitamins in the water and the toe tapping stopped in a day or so. Apparently Eckies are susceptible for it and people have reported some types of food appeared to have trigged it as it began after the certain food.
My Eckie has not shown any more toe tapping since. :)
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Gomez is also the other end of the house from the kitchen, I am also a stickler for fresh air and have the windows open if the weather is good so it's well ventilated here, I narrowed it down to a certain kind of nuts mix that I was feeding him. Since I stopped feeding them he has not done it since.

It's true about the teflon and fumes though they are poisonous to our little ringies and most birds in fact.