help!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

guzmanyvan

help!

Post by guzmanyvan »

Im thinking to buy an parrot...but cant decide what kind then i saw these website.are IRN reasy to handle?are they good talker?do they talk a lot?PLEASE REPLY!im begging you!please...........
smallworld

Re: help!

Post by smallworld »

This is going to sound a bit idiotic but I'm going out on a limb here,

You dont have any idea of birds, or probably never had one and you're buying a bird for the major purpose of talking??

If the above scenario fits you, then my answer is : DONT.

Sorry but I'm looking out for the welfare of the bird as well. Sorry again if I happen to misunderstand your intentions.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Before choosing any pet, think about how much you can afford, (including food, toys, vet bills etc), amount of room you can spare, how much time you can spend with it, if neighbours will be bothered by noise, etc. All these factors will help you choose a pet that is right for your circumstances, not what you would like to have.

Ringies do require a good sized cage. They have long tails so need to be able to accommodate that. Also love to chew things so having plenty of toys, (either natural, home made or store bought) to keep them amused. They can become noisey if bored or lonely.

Depending on if the bird is aviary bred or hand raised and HOW s/he was handraised as to how well they can be handled. Also how much time, effort and love you put into the parrot will also determine just how 'handleable' the bird stays. You can have the perfectly raised bird, but if not handled properly or enough, can turn the bird into a stressed or unhappy bird....and will display that towards you.
Most ringnecks don't seem to be a huge cuddly bird compared to a lorikeet, cockatiel etc, but most do like scratches and cuddles.
Most common question I hear is, 'Do they bite?'. Ummmm the answer is YES, as ALL birds bite at some stage, it is a way of communicating. We are usually warned through body language before a bite occurs, of the birds emotions.
Bit like a dog doesn't just walk up and bite someone. Tell tale signs are usually head drop, stiffening of the body, a growl or bearing of teeth.

As every bird is different, you can not be garanteed of a ringneck to talk, although most will. They can say quite a few words and/or phrases, whistle tunes etc. Youtube have a lot of videos of IRN parrots showing what they are capable of.

:)
guzmanyvan

Post by guzmanyvan »

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!! :D