IRN classfication

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

mosschops12

IRN classfication

Post by mosschops12 »

just a quick qustion why are irn classed as a parakeet but harns marcorws are around the same size and they are referd to a parrot :?:
333greenbean333

Re: IRN classfication

Post by 333greenbean333 »

I think its because of the long tails ringnecks have :lol:
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

David is right there :) . Its the body to tail length ratio but this is a loose and folk form of classifying parrots. As you see, parakeets are parrots as well. Example: The budgie is considered to be a parakeet, whereas the lovebird is referred to in alot of literature as a little parrot. So you see, they are about the same size, maybe with a slight difference. The only real difference is the tail length of budgie.

So if you must have a classification that fits your needs, always use the taxonomic classification. Its accurate and theres no misinterpretation. At the end of the day, parakeets are parrots as well :)
louieirn

Post by louieirn »

Exactly, even though they same they are Parakeets, they are also parrots. So I use the parrot name more often, so people understand they are nothing like a budgie, beak, abilities(using feet to each & play), speaking ability, etc. I thought it had something to do with their bone structure, too.
LOUIE, LIBBY & MIMI (mom)
ateneoblue

Post by ateneoblue »

long tail.. small beak= parakeet
short tail.. big beak= parrot

... except for macaw which has long tail and big beak..
"GOD IS GREAT"