HELP...

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

poppeottomor

HELP...

Post by poppeottomor »

I have just redt that a indian ringneck can be danderus :(
Is that right ???
I can´t imagen at it can be danderus its not an eagle for the love of god... :o
I cuten com in on the homepage it was redent on, so I can´t tell you why or waht the indian ringneck had done.
Maby it is right ven they redt some pepole souten have birds.
I now my soon to come indian ringneck will probaly bite me at times, but i will not give op on it or say that it is dangerus.
Yes, it is a big bird and it can bite very hard if needet, but i dont thing that its a liltel devil :twisted: :lol:
S. Charlotte.
smallworld

Re: HELP...

Post by smallworld »

Dangerous? I dont think so. I might becareful around babies or other birds but not to adults. Yes you're right, they're not eagles. Though I think people are more dangerous than an eagle. New birds might nip or not. That depends on your bird. But I'd never say they come even close to dangerous.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

Thanks, I have 2 lovebirds, they are VERY friendly but I don´t now how the indian ringneck will take they precent.
The lovebirds have a big voliere in the levingroom.
The indian ringneck will have its onw cage and they wont be out at the same time, can they learn to live togeher ???
S. Charlotte.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi,
What do you mean by live together? In the same room but in different cages, should be fine, I think :) Lovebirds are very nice to their own kind. But when they pair up, they tend to be a little more aggressive towards other species. I saw this with my 2 lovebirds. However, its not always the same. Sometimes they do get along with other birds. I've seen videos of that on youtube. I wouldnt worry about the IRN. He might be a bit aggressive during the first couple of weeks. So if you want to let them out to play at the same time, then do it slowly and for short periods at a time. Someone I once knew told me how a pair of lovebirds killed their african grey. So its those little guys I'd be worried more about.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

You are the second person how says that its the lovebirds that is the bullie, I think its a lilltel funny, it is the small ones that get all the atencion :lol:
But dont worry, I have a big 2 rooms apartment and the lovebirds and the indian ringneck will be in the same room but not the samme cage.
There sout be enouf space for os all to live togheter, I think it come wiht the indian ringnecks mood, I hope I get one that will think of my lovebirds as playmates :mrgreen:
S. Charlotte.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

haha yes because I've seen our lovebirds bully a much bigger bird. Well I dont think it would be a problem with the birds if they have their separate cages. I also saw you posting elsewhere about cage size and bar spacing. Well try to keep it within 2.5cm, to play safe. The cage can never be too small, so dont worry. Did you look into the photo's section on the forum? Try to look there, you'd see some cages and you will get an idea.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

No, I havent, but I will do it now.
S. Charlotte.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

Sorry I forgot to say tanks :oops:
julie

Post by julie »

It depends on the Ringnecks nature too. My boy indie, he is so quiet and timid around birds he doesnt know too well. If he is in a position to he will take off rather than deal with the other bird, he doesnt fight he runs. But some will be the instigator and bully the other bird and possibly kill them. It depends on the individual bird.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Dont mention it :) I hope when you get your new IRN, the lovebirds and the IRN will get along fine and then you wouldn't have to worry about anything. When you get it, post a pic of the newbie. That would be cool :)
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

Yes, I will post a picture of him/her and one of all 3 togher I hope :D
I hav just cuidt my job today so I will get alot of time to spendt with my birds.
I just hope we can live together all of os :D
It will be sad if it wont work :cry:
S. Charlotte.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

I am positivelig getting a indian ringneck, I am loking for idears for toys to give him/her to chew and play with, I will be geting a big cage with lots of room to move around on.
But withs chewtoys do youre Ringneck have ???
I hear that ropes with nots on is good for their fed and the nots will keep them bysig, chew toys is made of wood right ???
I will relly apreciate all idears for the cage to be interesting for my Ringneck. :mrgreen:
S. Charlotte.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I offer my birds a choice of wooden toys, natural toys like safe wood & flowers from the bush etc., acrylic toys and foraging toys.

Here are a few links on home made bird toys....

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/bird ... detoys.php

http://www.ehow.co.uk/bird-toys/

you could also look on youtube for toy ideas.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

Thank you I will get right to it :D
S. Charlotte.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

Hello I woudt like for someone to tell me MORE about indian ringnecks, I will like to now what I am getting my self into...
I simply LOVE thise birds and i have redt alot about them, how to care for them, what to feed them and so on.
But I dont now muts about there pesonalities, some say that they can be mody and dont like to be handlet.
Others say that they love to interagt with there human freind and love to be handlet.
I am confuset, it comes on the bird, what it want and dont want, and I can live wiht that.
Are there anyone out there, that have other birds in there homes, than ringnecks ???
If there is, how are they getting along ???
Are they friends or do they HATE etoher ???
I dont now if its a good idea that i am getting a ringneck, I have 2 lovebirds, they are very friendly and all, but i dont now about the noise level, I can handle it, but can the nabores ???
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

the personality of an IRN is different for each individual one, they can love to be handled or they can hate it
i have a ringneck and a conure and they are let out of the cage together, they usually dont play together though because my ringneck doesnt like interacting with other birds, but they have never had a real fight
i wouldnt really let them out with a lovebird though because the lovebird would probaly attack the ringneck
my ringneck is noisey when the sun comes up and goes down, the rest of the day she is usually quiet, but it depends on your individual bird

your the oppisite of me, you want to learn about IRN's and i want to learn about lovebirds :lol:
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

What do you want to now about lovebirds ???
Maby I can help :D
I got my first lovebird 3 years ago, and the secondt a month lader.
I only now wart i have exspirance, but I am not a breeder :mrgreen:
Then I can tell you about lovebirds and you can tell me about ringnecks :lol:
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

everything :D
im planning to get a lovebird in a few months, if my mum lets me
and i really dont know anything about them
alyce

Post by alyce »

Um... hell yes they can be dangerous!! If you buy an untamed bird and it bites you, it can bite your finger through to bone... and not let go. IRN are the same as any wild creature, they have a strong fight/flight instinct and if they feel threatened you're gunna cop it. Even your tame babies can bite you. If they are breeding, males can fly and try attack you if they feel you are intruding on their territory.

I have untamed birds in a large aviary and if i need to handle them i use welding gloves cos mine can bite through ordinary gardening gloves!

For starters, buy your bird from a breeder and if it is advertised as tame/ handraised, watch them handle/interact with the bird. Handraised doesn't always mean hand tamed. If you can, attempt to handle the bird before you buy it - you may find out that that particular bird isnt your perfect match (personality wise!)

If you get it from a rescue centre ask if it has been handled, see if you can handle it. This is if you want a pet bird of course!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Bite you to the bone alyce????

Impossible! Its not a shark and it cannot bite you to the bone. Echo comes from an outdoor aviary and he was pretty damn wild when he came and he did bite but never to the bone. His bites drew blood but never to the extent where one of us would need stitches. He was more afraid of us then we were of him. The aggression was only there as a form of safeguard.

My neighbours baby tried to touch with him and he lunged at her, bit and held on to her finger. She is one and a half years old, her skin is still pretty soft and even then he didnt do much damage. A small bleed and the baby stopped crying in 5 mins, only to want to play with him again. Her mother just laughed.

Alot of my friends who are breeders have IRNs and even larger parrots in outdoor aviaries. The interaction time between breeder and bird is almost kept to food, cage cleaning and baby pulling. Even then they only get aggressive and start diving when you try to take their babies away or approach the nest.

I think dangerous is an undeserved name, to the IRNs.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:everything :D
im planning to get a lovebird in a few months, if my mum lets me
and i really dont know anything about them
My lovebirds arent tame, so wait till youres are tame before getting nr 2, you can feed them almost anything, fruti birdmix food and vegsties.
Lovebirds are VERY social so you have to be there mate, if you arent getting nr 2.
My lovebirds anren littel bullies, but they can be destruktive, mine puldt the paper of the walls, sorry dont now wat it is name in engelsk.
There cage sout be, longer then it is tall, but they love to climp.
Get some cotten rope in there cage, it is good for their feed and they get ot destroi somting and dont get in tropel for it weee :mrgreen:
Please tell me if I am missing somting that you want to now okay ??? :wink:
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

poppeottomor wrote:
My lovebirds arent tame, so wait till youres are tame before getting nr 2, you can feed them almost anything, fruti birdmix food and vegsties.
Lovebirds are VERY social so you have to be there mate, if you arent getting nr 2.
My lovebirds anren littel bullies, but they can be destruktive, mine puldt the paper of the walls, sorry dont now wat it is name in engelsk.
Get some cotten rope in there cage, it is good for their feed and they get ot destroi somting and dont get in tropel for it weee :mrgreen:
S. Charlotte.
Thanks that helps a lot :)
I think im going to just have the one, I have heard of lots of people who have had more then one and they have killed one another :o
Do you feed pellets or seed?
What kind of toys do they like?
As for the paper on the wall, I think its just called wall paper
If there is anything you want to know about ringnecks just ask :)
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:
poppeottomor wrote:
S. Charlotte.
Thanks that helps a lot :)
I think im going to just have the one, I have heard of lots of people who have had more then one and they have killed one another :o
Do you feed pellets or seed?
What kind of toys do they like?
As for the paper on the wall, I think its just called wall paper
If there is anything you want to know about ringnecks just ask :)
Wall paper ofcouse, stupid me :shock: :oops:
They dont killd theyre own kindt, wart race are you planing to get ???
My lovebirds arent very good to eat difrent food, but you can feed them pellets and seed, mine just go for the seed :wink:
Rope toys is a good idea, they like to thew things to pices, put some appel tree brances into the cage, with flowers, lifes that will keep them ocupid.
And anything thats has lether on it, they like to chew it too.
Give him/her a nesting box, they like to sleep i them.
I want to now how it is to have a indian ringneck as pet ???
And anyting and everything you now about them will be fine :mrgreen:
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

poppeottomor wrote: Wall paper ofcouse, stupid me :shock: :oops:
My lovebirds arent very good to eat difrent food, but you can feed them pellets and seed, mine just go for the seed :wink:
Rope toys is a good idea, they like to thew things to pices, put some appel tree brances into the cage, with flowers, lifes that will keep them ocupid.
S. Charlotte.
my dad had some together and they killed each other
i want a fishers black mask, i think thats what they are called
my ringneck isnt tame yet so i can tell you what it is like to have a tame one...
but i love owning her, she is beautiful and has so much character :)
i love watching her run around on the bottom of her cage and play with all her toys
she makes funny little noisey all day and sometimes she can be loud
she loves to chew on things, mostly her wooden toys
she will eat anything you give her, she doesnt waste any of her food
not sure what eles to tell you so let me know if there is anything eles you want to know
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:
poppeottomor wrote: Wall paper ofcouse, stupid me :shock: :oops:
S. Charlotte.
my dad had some together and they killed each other
i want a fishers black mask, i think thats what they are called
my ringneck isnt tame yet so i can tell you what it is like to have a tame one...
but i love owning her, she is beautiful and has so much character :)
i love watching her run around on the bottom of her cage and play with all her toys
she makes funny little noisey all day and sometimes she can be loud
she loves to chew on things, mostly her wooden toys
she will eat anything you give her, she doesnt waste any of her food
not sure what eles to tell you so let me know if there is anything eles you want to know
Fichers lovebirds and the black mask lovebirds are to drifrent spicies, but you are getting a black mask, and they tedt to be very kindt.
Was youre father keping to spiesis togher ???
They are very teritoral, so maby thats the case ???
My lovebirds are a rose heade and a orance heade, but they never fihgt or bite.
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

they where all peach face's
yeah thats probaly what happened
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

I am very sad at the moment, I have contackt with a bird friendt that is helping me to get a indian ringneck.
I have contacktet a breeder 3 times and he is still not responding :shock: :cry:
I can only say HELP. :)
I hope he will contakt me this time.
S Charlotte.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

I have talkt with the bredder and he couten help me :cry:
But I have a telefon number for another breeder, so maby this person can help me.
I have wanted a indian ringneck since 2008, I really hope to get one this year :D
S. Charlotte.
poppeottomor

Post by poppeottomor »

The call to the breeder went very vel.
He was a nice person and so on...
I forgot to ask him how there personaliti is.
Are they little bullyes or are they sweat ???
I now it comes on how the bird is raisd, any thin you want to tell will be gerat..
S. Charlotte.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

depends on each bird.
my ringneck love to be around me and my conure but if the conure trys to preen her she trys to attack her
my ringneck was handraised by me and she was the only one i had so shes not used to birds as much as one that was handraisied in a clutch
they can be sweat and they can be mean, it just depends on what mood they are in that day