In the Wild

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

DEEDEE

In the Wild

Post by DEEDEE »

What is the Natural colour of an IRN or isnt there one, I know different colours come via crossing Birds, So guess this comes natural. So did different colours arise from different parts of their Homelands, North South East West. Then over time came together and mutated to give the colours.
xx_sheena_xx

Re: In the Wild

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

green is the wild color
people made different color mutations by breeding ones with more of a certain color like yellow for example
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yep sheena is right. The greens are the wild colored birds. Theres a video of on youtube about indian ringnecks in india. You can see a tonne of greenies. Theres also one on them in England. They've managed to sustain a population in some european countries as well. Have a look.

The different colors that you see being marketed by breeders worldwide, generally tend to be a result of inbreeding to obtain the proper colors. They do this by say for example, breeding out the blue or green pigment. Thats just an example. So basically they have defects in the pigment gene. In general though, among any parrot species not just ringnecks, if allowed to pick mates, a bird would choose the wild colored mate over the others. Its a generalization. I guess its the Darwinian selection of survival of the fittest. Who knows :)
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Yes I'm in the UK, there has long been a Flock in the Southern end of the Country, I have also heard on the Radio that they have spread North as far as Sheffield, (get your Maps out). I remember seeing them in Barcelona on La Ramblas.