Bad Bird ><

Moderator: Mods

ryelle

Bad Bird ><

Post by ryelle »

WOW Spit's been in a bad mood lately. I think he no longer considers me his friend lol. We've had to move him downstairs because his aggression was getting so bad that if i even moved he was attacking the side of his cage trying to get to me :shock: and not to my boyfriend either no, to me, the one that spends all my time, money and love on him lol.

This is him at first, showing that he isn't so bothered, and that the tantrum isn't caused by the camera.

And the next clip is approx 3 mins later after i gave him a bottle cap to play with. he LOVES bottlecaps. Sits and plays and talks to them for hours. But because it's me that gave him it, he shot it away and got nasty :x

He only calmed down because the rat was running about on the table behind me and he got distracted. normally i have to walk away or he doesnt stop. If i talk to him he lowers his head, spikes his feathers up, pins his eyes, clucks and then lunges :(
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep even our tamest boy Jordan is like that about his cage. You go to get him out and as you open the door he lunges at your fingers and growls, or when I change his food bowls, the same thing. I just push past it and make him step up, then change the bowls.

He does it everytime, but is as good as gold anytime or anywhere else.

Protecting their haven is all :lol: :wink:

Funny about the bottle caps, mine absolutely love them too, they lick them and play with them for hours.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

_Lady_Flame_

Re: Bad Bird ><

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

hey, my Alex does that too....you know I live with my grandparents and Alex is "in love" with my grandfather. everytime he is at home and we are all in the same room he attacks me (is he jelous?). When Alex comes to me and my grandfather wants to put him away he bites him. If im alone with him when he is outside he mostly behaves but
when I come near the cage he starts attacking like your does. Alex is now 18 months old and I really hope he will calm down :S The only one who is allowed to pet him is my grandfather.
view my gallery of drawings and photographs on deviantart http://purebloodrose.deviantart.com/

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yup, could be jealousy. Ringnecks bite for so many reasons--trying to pinpoint the exact reason takes effort on your part. Archimedes will bite when i say "Wanna go night night." He pins his eyes, lifts his foots, and if i touch him--he'll bite me! It's so funny! But hey, i always say love hurts :lol:

Make sure Alex gets a chance to hang around with all your family members. Be consistent and the behavior will die down. Also, as an F.Y.I--all my ringnecks get very aggressive around their cages. Archimedes tries to attack me when i place him inside his cage and walk away--it's so funny! I laugh every time he does it! Man, you gotta love these parrots! So don't feel bad--it's very normal as Kyria said. Man, my African Grey bites me so hard--it's crazy! Be glad it's only a ringneck you are dealing with.. ha ha ha

Good luck my friend,

IMRAN
_Lady_Flame_

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

ringneck wrote:Yup, could be jealousy. Ringnecks bite for so many reasons--trying to pinpoint the exact reason takes effort on your part. Archimedes will bite when i say "Wanna go night night." He pins his eyes, lifts his foots, and if i touch him--he'll bite me! It's so funny! But hey, i always say love hurts :lol:

Make sure Alex gets a chance to hang around with all your family members. Be consistent and the behavior will die down. Also, as an F.Y.I--all my ringnecks get very aggressive around their cages. Archimedes tries to attack me when i place him inside his cage and walk away--it's so funny! I laugh every time he does it! Man, you gotta love these parrots! So don't feel bad--it's very normal as Kyria said. Man, my African Grey bites me so hard--it's crazy! Be glad it's only a ringneck you are dealing with.. ha ha ha

Good luck my friend,

IMRAN
you know these week he was spending time with me. I was making tea and he was on my shoulder being curious what i was doing and then suddenly he attacked me, bit me into my cheek very hard so I still have a big stain on that place. today he was playing on my hands and climbing on my poncho. he came to sit on my shoulder and bit me in my other cheek. now i have there a big stain too :S He is so aggressive to me, sometimes he was a bit aggressive to my grandmother but it stopped. I never did something bad to him :(
view my gallery of drawings and photographs on deviantart http://purebloodrose.deviantart.com/

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Aw, Lady! I know, I know! It’s just horrible when they bite! Believe me I can attest to being bitten. I would try keeping Alex off your shoulders for a bit. Though it is quite convenient to have them on your shoulders while going about your business I would place him on a desk, T-Stand, or the counter. This way you don’t have to worry about being bitten—thankfully you did not burn yourself! Now that would suck!

For the first year, I did not let Archimedes on my shoulders as much until I could fully trust him. When he was on my shoulders, I placed him there—never did I just let him wonder up there. If I keep him on my fingers perched, he’ll stays there. If I place him on a desk, he’ll stays there. No matter where I place him I know he’ll be there—he is very good that way; however, it took a lot of training.

Alex is still very young and he must learn his boundaries. When he bites ignore the negative behavior. Avoid all eye contact and do not talk to him. Make him step up and place him away from you. It’s amazing how quickly they learn to adjust their behaviors.

Also, don’t take the bites personal. I know it can dishearten just about anyone—especially because we invest so much time into them and in return they bite us. We just have to enjoy them for what they are. Just be consistent and before you know it, Alex will pass through these negative behaviors. Archimedes rarely bites and he is just the best bird—same for his sister. All in all, just hang in there :o)

Best wishes,

IMRAN
_Lady_Flame_

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

ringneck wrote:Aw, Lady! I know, I know! It’s just horrible when they bite! Believe me I can attest to being bitten. I would try keeping Alex off your shoulders for a bit. Though it is quite convenient to have them on your shoulders while going about your business I would place him on a desk, T-Stand, or the counter. This way you don’t have to worry about being bitten—thankfully you did not burn yourself! Now that would suck!

For the first year, I did not let Archimedes on my shoulders as much until I could fully trust him. When he was on my shoulders, I placed him there—never did I just let him wonder up there. If I keep him on my fingers perched, he’ll stays there. If I place him on a desk, he’ll stays there. No matter where I place him I know he’ll be there—he is very good that way; however, it took a lot of training.

Alex is still very young and he must learn his boundaries. When he bites ignore the negative behavior. Avoid all eye contact and do not talk to him. Make him step up and place him away from you. It’s amazing how quickly they learn to adjust their behaviors.

Also, don’t take the bites personal. I know it can dishearten just about anyone—especially because we invest so much time into them and in return they bite us. We just have to enjoy them for what they are. Just be consistent and before you know it, Alex will pass through these negative behaviors. Archimedes rarely bites and he is just the best bird—same for his sister. All in all, just hang in there :o)

Best wishes,

IMRAN
Thank you soo much for your advice. Ill try to train him somehow because i think im the only one that he learns from. every word i teached him he learned. my grandparents were teaching him without success. you said he is on your fingers but we all have to hide them because he "hates" fingers :S i allways hide my hands under a pillow xD i really hope this behaviour will pass because he is so lovely when he talks or when he plays with my grandfather. he is so funny in front of a mirror because he thinks that there is someone else in the mirror and he starts dancing around like you saw in my video :) does your Archimedes jump too?

I wish you a nice sunday :)

Janja