hes here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i brought my baby home today

Moderator: Mods

bec

hes here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i brought my baby home today

Post by bec »

due to a suprise windfall today i was able to bring general home today !!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
i have him quaratined in my room away from the other birds but he is settling so quick!!!!
at the pet shop he wouldnt come to the front of the cage but would watch me verry closley and if i had a treat baggy he would rush to the side so i could put the treats up for him within an hour of being in his new cage he was coming up to the front to look at me when ever i enter the room

so far we have discovered he likes corn apples spinnach and exploring the interesting shape of his wave top cage at the shop he was in a square one with no toys he only has one so far but im going to woolworths tomorrow
so shopping is planned
he was realy stressed from the guy in the shop using a glove but he really only nibbled on me when i put him in his cage when he bit i didnt pull away but just talked to him till he loosened his grip then i did the same
i will post pics as soon as i can
Bella

Post by Bella »

:D congrats cant wait for pix :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thats exciting news :D
A windfall & bring General home, double wammy :)

Congrats.

:)
bec

Post by bec »

thanks guys hes doing well he woke me with his first vocalisations this morning (i guess thats the end of my satuday sleep ins while hes in my room) he had his first fly out today it took a bit of time for him to get the idea that id left the door open for him to come out :lol: then it took a bit more for him to figure a way out first he tried to hang from the top of the door and swing down to the bottom but the door way is aqbout twice his height so he just swung there from his beak with his legs swinging trying to find something to grab hold of he finally managed it and flew out cristy bought in hot drinks & biccies & we just lay on the bed having a munch out & watching telly while he explored he seemed to have fun and was very reluctant to return to his cage at bedtime but was so much easier to catch than either riku or kieron ( no glove no towel & very little pain from his bite) i think ill be woken early tomorrow with excited requests for more exploration! he is such a little cutie
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

That's so exciting! He sounds like just a little sweetie bird.
bec

Post by bec »

he is
thanks
i still cant believe the sheer fluke of finding him and the bargain price i got him for
i just figure he was destined to move in here & be spoilt for the rest of his life
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

hi ... sorry i know it was a while ago when u posted this but i was wondering how long u had ur IRN in his new cage before you let him out for his fly around? we was told to leave ours in the cage a couple of days for him to get used to his cage n surroundings... is this right or should we let him out asap.... we got him yesterday afternoon?
Also if we do let him out wot is the best way to catch him to put him back in his cage until he gets use to us without stressing him out 2 much?

thank you again
Danny blue irn
bec

Post by bec »

hi dannywoods dont apologise for asking advice thats what this sights here for :D
weve done the first fly out differently with each of our irns larissa let riku out the day after we got him & that worked fine for riku kieron we had for about a week before he stopped freaking about the strange little green bird on top of his cage
gen was in my room for 4 days before her first fly out
i was trying to leave orchid in her cage for at least 3 days but while we were in bed the first night we had her riku broke everyone out of their cages(cheeky blighter) skeet was born here & hand raised by me from three weeks old so dosnt know what it means to not be let out of her cage when she wants
& lastly pickle we got last sunday i still havent let him out yet as hes still freaking at the sight of this mad woman who took him away from all his friends & put him in a cage with those scary toy things
i have found that it differs for each bird how long it takes them to aclimatise to their new home
defintly wait untill he seems calmer most people advice at least 3 days but some birds take a bit more time to settle
as for the best way to catch them for bed time some people recomend using a perch & teaching them to step up onto it others use "toweling " there are quite a few posts on the bedtime hassles
with any l.uck youll get one like gen she hates being put to bed so if it looks like im getting up to catch her she flys to her cage jumps in then lokks at me as if to say haha beat ya!!
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

:lol: sounds like u have some characters there lol and thank you very much for the advice .... because we have not had a bird for a while i went round making everything thing bird friendly lol ... because we had some decrotive cups on a shelve and ive read IRN's (maybe along with many other birds) like throwing things on floor so they have gone :lol:

carnt wait til bluey can come out and he defently seem to not be as jumpy or nervous so hopefully soon. will keep u updated.

thank you again jem and danny :D
Danny blue irn
bec

Post by bec »

you right they are total charactors even pickle (my little panic mechant)
and they all seem to love throwing things from high spots riku love throwing toys on my head when im cleaning cage bottoms :evil: