VERY MAD AT BIRD TALK MAGAZINE

Moderator: Mods

Cindy

VERY MAD AT BIRD TALK MAGAZINE

Post by Cindy »

If any of you get Bird Talk Magazine please turn to page 63 in the APRIL issue...There you will find an auction for over 500 birds...They are selling these birds to ANYONE for ANY amount of money...There is even a part in the ad that say proven factories and money makers...There are a couple of sites you can write to like http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazin ... fault.aspx that is owned by Bird Talk!

There is a lot of chatter on MyToos.com message board and NY Bird Club message board.

I will be bring this up at our Bird Club here in Phoenix and I will be post this on several other istes....This is just terible...

It would help if you would email Bird Talk Mag with your opinions

fOR THOSE THAT DO NOT GET THE MAGAZINE HERE IS THE AD WITH THE ADDRESSES REMOVED.
XXXXXXXXXXXX Bird Ranch Business Closing
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Greensboro, NC

Saturday, March 31st at 10AM
Inspections: Friday, March 30 - 9AM-11AM & Saturday, March 31 - 8AM-10AM

Breeding Pars, Non-breeding, Singles, etc.
500+/- Birds
4 Pair Eclectus - 1 Pair Maximilion Pionus - 4 Pair Blue Head
7 Pair Sun Conure - 4 Pair Green Cheeks - 2 Pair Red Lored
10 Pair Blue & Bold Macaws
5 Pair Yellow Collar Mini Macaws
2 Pair Med-Sulfer Crested Cookatoos - 4 Pair Rose Breasted
4 Pair Yellow Nape - 10 Pair Double Yellow - 6 Pair Blue Front
2 Pair Panama Amazon - 3 Pair Scarlett - 3 Pair Severes
50 Pair Congo African Greys
75 Pair Timnehs
10 Pair Quakers - 10 Pair Blue Split & Blue Young Quakers
50 Assorted Singles - All Species
Machinery & Equipment Also Available

TERMS:
15% Buyers Premium - Cash CK Only - No Credit/Debit Cards
No Personal/Company Checks without bank guarantee letter
Everything sold "As-is"/"Where-Is" - No Guarantees - No warranties
Immediate cash deposit required upon knockdown
Full payment/final removal required by Monday, April 2, 2007

AUCTIONEER'S NOTE:
Stampler Auctions continues its "Bird"Tacular auctions.. This is an opportunity to buy proven factories - Money Makers. Selling in pairs or singles as applicable. Everything sells on auction day!

Contact Marvin Hajos, Auction Manager for details
Don't miss it!!....See y"all there!!!

XXXXXXXX Auctions
XXXXXXXX Blvd.
XXXXXXXX FL
XXX-XXX BIDS

This is word for word of the ad in Bird Talk :!:
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:cry: I am absolutely appalled! This is coming from a Bird Talk magazine! :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

What is it that you find so offensive about this auction? They happen all the time!! Is it because it was in Bird Talk mag. or just an auction period? A lot of breeders go to these auctions and find breeder birds at a good price. And as for Mytoo's well they don't think anybody should own a bird but the people on mytoo's. Really I have been to some bird auctions and their not that bad. The birds all look healthy and are treated good.

Donna
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I just don't like the sound of 'auctioning off a bird' isn't there a better way?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Well i'm looking at it from a breeders point of veiw. Really the only people that really go to these auctions is breeders but it's open to the public. I think it's the word auction that gets people all puffed but to a breeder it's a good thing.

Donna
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I can understand from a breeders point of view this would be a good way to find breeding birds. I guess alot of people advertise breeding birds in trading posts and other ways too. Just sounds so wrong.

I'd love to breed IRNs one day when I have a nice big backyard to fit big avarys in. Just never thought of how people buy breeding birds.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I'm pretty sure if it was in Bird Talk mag. It's one of the top knotch auctions or they wouldn't advertise it. Mytoo's don't like Bird Talk mag. becuase they do advertise breeders and that's a big NO NO on Mytoos.

Donna
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

My concern about a bird auction is, if the price is too easy, and just anyone could get birds there, what about screening to see that the birds go to a good home and not end up in dirty unhealthy neglectful conditions. Birds & parrots are in cages and have no say about who they go to or where they will end up. And I am a strong believer in there emotional health and welfare. Parrots are intelegant and have emotions like we do. It must be a very scary thing for them being sent to an auction.

Darlene
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

OMG, what if someone buy those bird to actually abuse it??? I wish I can stop this!
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

Wow I never knew they sold birds that way.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

this is very scary and bad indeed alot of people in the UK just care about the momeny and not the animals ( not me ) and this is a way they can get the birds is this in the USA or UK im based in the uk so if it was the uk some people will snatch at this i think it is very wrong and can turn out very bad towards the birds.

i am new with birds also but i am trying my best to learn from the best, i find this outrageous for some one that brings magazine out each month / week i wont be buying a copy.

hope they sort this error out
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

OMG reading that makes them sound like plates or some other useless junk, which they are not! Disgusting! :twisted:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I am going to throw up some further thought on this topic, and do not assume for one minute I am sticking up for what they are doing;

On first reading this it is very shocking and prompts anger.

But lets think further on it.

The situation is, these people have a large range of birds that exist and need to be placed somewhere and it sounds like it has to be done fairly quickly. Is it a situation where their business has been foreclosed on, the bank is taking back their land ? or similar. Maybe a death in the family where they need to sell up to gain finances ? or anything similar.

In this position what would you do, forget that you may believe that they should never have started such a mass production of birds anyway. These birds exist and they need placing, or your only other alternative is to have them destroyed.

Take them all to a local market and sell them as cheaply as possible, hence anyone who has 5 dollars and no love or care can whip them up and take home a bird.

Or place an ad in a reputable bird magazine where you know there are bird lovers and respected breeders, that people who truly love birds and are dedicated to them or the business of them would be looking. Auctioning them would see that only those who truly want and could afford these birds would bother to bid for them. And also see that all of the birds would be placed.

Of course they want as much money for their business as possible, they have put alot of time, energy and money into setting it up to begin with and we cannot go past the fact that these birds exist.

All I want you to do is to think on what other alternative they have.

Jay, maybe you could throw in some input as a breeder, what would you do as a breeder if suddenly you needed to get rid of all your birds and stock as quickly as possible ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

putting it across like that sounds different but all i was saying in the UK people will snatch at this if they was bird lovers or not. we have alot of people in the UK that look for "good deals" "cheap deals" all i was sayin is that it would be some ones good pay day if they seen this add.

if there friend was a bird lover and they read the book why they was at there house etc they can phone up place a bid and they are not bird lovers so all i am sayin is people should also watch out for people like this that want to grab a cheap deal.

if this was me in this situation i would make sure all the birds i sold in the bid was going to a good breader and not to some one that doesnt no what they are doing.
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Petey

Post by Petey »

It seems like a certain word in this thread has been made less important---BREEDERS......Most of those breeder pairs aren't very good as pets anymore. Some have never been pets. There's many *auctions* that go on that have to do with selling breeders. Those auctions are open to the general public but most people who are interested in the birds come in 2 catagories

1----People who are very familiar with the overall personality and situations concerning breeder birds
2----People who are not very familiar with breeders but are told and can see what the general personality of breeders pairs are.

The birds aren't junk
The price is always better because they're breeders, not pets.
Birds are and have been sold this way for decades.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

and as for birdtalk, they would feel oblidged to help this lot sell their birds to the best place possible, their dedicated readers. In my eyes they did nothing wrong, but try to help reach good owners for these birds. Of course its also good for their magazine, but who is going to judge them for that ?
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Petey

Post by Petey »

And To add to what Kyria says... another thing about Birdtalk...

I'm not a big fan of Birdtalk. I never have been but my reasons have to do the very small amount of informative articles concerning birds and the huge amount of general advertising in the magazine every month. Basically, I think it's a waste of money but i've never seen them put potentially dangerous ads or announcements in their magazine. Their magazine is aimed at relatively new bird owners. If people were to buy all the items that are advertised in it, they would go bankrupt. The percentage is 30 % articles and 70 % advertising.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for something much more important that was mentioned here-----It has to do with the New York Bird Club. I was born and grew up in that part of NY and lived there for 51 yrs. That board is a very extremist type of board. Animal rights go to the extreme there. They believe that no breeding of birds, dogs, cats, horses and other animals should be allowed AT ALL in all countries. They don't think zoos should be in existance.They're totally against anyone buying animals from pet stores.
They believe that there should be no killing of vermin such as rats, mice, cockroaches, mosquitos and any other disease carrying animals. Supposedly, all of this had to do with us creating the problem in the first place, not the animals. They would rather see a person move out of their farms instead of getting rid of potentially dangerous pests that are ruining the farmland such as skunks, woodchucks, moles, voles and other types of pests.
They don't believe that there should be cows around that are used for milk and of course, beef. They don't believe that fish should be killed and eaten.They have no hesitation in insulting people who don't live up to their standards. Many an unaware novice bird owner has gone there and got frightened away feeling that they were doing cruel things. But, these newbies were guilty of no crimes. They only wanted information. Their idea of the perfect person is a vegetarian even though we were all born as carnivores, herbivores and vegatiarians.

NOW,if you think some of the above things I've said above are hard to believe, just go there, spend some time reading all of the different areas of the site and make your own decision. As far as I'm concerned, they're living in a fantasy world and have forgotten what reality is all about BUT what is worse is that they would like others to join that fantasy world under the guise of being animal lovers. And by the way, if you do go there, not to worry, you don't need to join in order to see their different ways and feelings about things.

They have set rules in place and if you're have an opinion that conflicts with those rules, you're in trouble. Example---try to discuss another side of wing clipping that differs with their way of thinking and your post won't go through or will quickly be deleted. Many items that aren't allowed to be discussed are on the main page before you enter.

Emails and Personal Messaging aren't allowed there unless it's first directed to the site administrator who then makes her high, holy and mighty decision on the EM or PM
julie

Post by julie »

I cant see how an auction is any different to putting an ad in the paper/net selling birds. Unless you really know the person that your selling to they could just be telling you what you want to hear.
smokie

Post by smokie »

i agree on donnas opppion theirs nothing wrong with it and in some case breeders or even people starting out might find it easier for them to when it comes to bying a bird i may self have gone and checkit it out the birds are healthy and okay if the birds are harmed in any way will then it,s different story but the not
bevg
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

I hear that petey, I was a member there for a few months before I was banned because I was receiving random emails from them and requested it be stopped.

That luciedove is a real dominatrix.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Don't they think the animals from pet stores need a home too, don't the deserve being saved ? Where should these animals go ?

And what about the poor little fleas, tics and mites on their pets ? do they just leave them to infest their animals ?
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Petey

Post by Petey »

Kyria

At least there's another member here that has seen the evil ways of NY Manhattan Bird Club. What happened to that member here(Mattis) has happened to countless people. I lived in NY all my life, even before that Assc was in existance. PET SHOPS---they don't believe that ANY pet shops should be in existance. They've stated that over and over.

Fleas, tics and mites on their pets ?----As I've already stated, they don't believe that ANY living creature should be destroyed if it affects your other domestic pets because they don't believe that domestic pets which originally came from wild animals( such as dogs) should have ever been allowed to be domesticated in the first place. According to them we did this for our own benefit. They believe that ANY pet should be obtained from shelters, never purchased.
They never tell you about farm pests that contaminate water and food for livestock. They will never describe how woodchucks, groundhogs, hedgehogs will dig deep holes in farm grazing land and the cows and the horses step into this holes and break their legs.

Concerning what can happen to your pets as far as illness is concerned

Lets talk about God. tThisis has nothing to do with me not believing in organized religion. As a matter of fact, this has nothing to do with any of my beliefs. According to the bible, God made Adam and Eve and they were told to not be sinful in any way. Eve ate the forbidden apple and because they sinned God promised to create famine, disease, poverty and basically made the living conditions of the world the way it is today. So in essence, God is the one that decided on this. Throughout the years we have be forced to learn how to control some of the above problems which we.ve done successfully. That board feels that it has the right to tell people that they have NO RIGHT in killing vermin that will cause great disease. They believe that people caused these conditions to be created and therefore we have no right to decide on what to do in order to stop various problems. To me, the believers on that board are living in a sick fantasy world.

To go back to only taking animals from shelters---

there are loads and loads of novices that exist all over the place and these people shouldn't be denied the joy of raising animals from infancy. Also, what that board doesn't talk about are the personalities of those animals that are in shelters. The novice goes to the shelter, adopts a bird that's an adult, goes home and finds that because of the bird's aggressive behavior, life is starting to be miserable in the family life. SO, the bird is put back into the shelter to await an experienced person who will have the knowledge to adapt to the bird's personality. With each new home, the bird gets more confused and irractic in it's behavior.

As you can see, I dislike that board intensly because I fear that they have the power to change people's attitudes towards the realities of life. What's worse is that those people are very gullible and can be led around by the nose.
Mattis describes the site owner correctly but I can think of a lot more and harsher words to describe that son of a bi88tch.
Ask Mattis what her opinion is.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

This is a bit of mad luck. before i joined you guys i was looking around on the net for sum forums and stuff. this was before i bought Jaws.
So anyway i found this NY birdclub thing and was looking at it. posted a few coments etc. but man those people are crazy. Sum chik posted an add for a flight harness or sumfin and asked what they thought. cos she lived in a small apartment and wanted to take her parrot outside.

Man, those ppl went crazy at her. it was just a flight harness, like a dog leash or sumfin, but made for birds. but NO they were totaly against it. they said it was barbaric that birds had their wings cliped. but thought it was a bad idea to let the fid outside cos it cud fly off. So when are the birds suposed to get sum air?
"Get an aviary," they said.
"What if you live in an aparment?"
dont remember the answer but it was basicaly like if u want to put a harness on ur fid and take it outside ur not doing it for the bird's comfort, ur just doing it to show off ur bird to the others walking around.

i didnt even bother becoming a member there... lucky i found this place soon after.