When to take out infertile eggs??

Moderator: Mods

tano610

When to take out infertile eggs??

Post by tano610 »

Hi,

After waiting for weeks wondering whether my IRN's eggs were going to hatch, the waiting got to much so I removed one of the eggs and held it up to a light. I am pretty sure that there was no chick inside it. Maria (my lutino hen) is still sitting on them and spends all day in the nest box. If fertile they are due to hatch next week. I was just wondering if anyone can let me know when is the appropriate time to remove the eggs and nestbox from their cage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tanya

Post by Guest »

Hi, I am not an expert, but I was told to candle the eggs at seven days to see if they are fertile. This basically is putting the egg in front of a light bulb to see through it. If you can see through it, it is not fertile. The seven days is good, because they might get the next clutch right!
ringneck
Site Admin

Hen & Eggs

Post by ringneck »

Don’t remove the eggs. Let the female Ringneck decided when to abandon the eggs. Just keep providing her with lots of extra goodies and provided her with lots of healthy foods. Incubation takes up lots of energy and makes the hen tired.

It’s very natural for them to start sitting, some hens start later, this time of year. I personally let her finish the cycle out.

Hope this helps,

I.C

Happy Holidays
:wink:
judith

Infertile eggs

Post by judith »

I have a single IRN and she laid her first eggs. How long should I wait to take the eggs.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

How old are they when they lay their first eggs? IIIeeee so much to learn!
judith

laying eggs

Post by judith »

My IRN is a little over 10 years and just layed her first eggs.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My girl is about 13 weeks so I can rest awhile I reckon :lol: