MAle and Female Sounds

Moderator: Mods

korn_bo2

MAle and Female Sounds

Post by korn_bo2 »

Does the male and female have the same sound they produce? just like cockatiels, only the male has a good sound (whistle)...
korn_bo2

Post by korn_bo2 »

can you also give me some tips on how to determine if its a boy or a girl...They say they can sex IRN thru their eyes? is this true? maybe this weekend i will post the pic of my new green ringneck... thanks in advance..
longre

Post by longre »

Telling their sex thru their eyes? Sounds like they're pulling your leg.
The most reliable way to sex ringnecks under 2 yrs of age is to DNA sex them. Around 2 yrs of age the males develope a dark ring (some have a dark brown, pink or black ring according to what color mutation you have) around their necks. A female (blues, turquoise & greens) also have rings, but they are of lighter shade of the color of the bird. Some people sex their birds by the width of the gap on the frontal of the pelvic area. We have been mis-led on this method. Avian Bio-tech does DNA sexing thru a little blood from the toe nail on a card (you can send off and they're free), or by using feathers (we haven't tried this) for $20.00 dollars.
Good luck to you either way you sex your birds.
Bear
Bear Long @ HouseofFeathersAviary
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Coming into the breeding season when all the Cocks are displaying to the hens, the Cocks make different noises but they pretty much make the same noise as each other.
You cannot tell the sex by looking at the eyes