Help predicting mutations

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Help predicting mutations

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello everyone,

I just bought some new pairs of ringnecks and have some basic knowledge on their genetics but I'm a bit confused on this one...

Lutino male x Turquoise-ino (Creamino) hen

What color babies should I get? I'm guessing green/blue/ino and green/turquoise/ino males and lutino/blue and lutino/turquoise hens but I'm not sure. The male is barely 2 yrs old and hasnt been proven obviously. I got the hen as a proven pair with a Turquoise male but I have blues and turquoise so I want to try to get some albinos, lutinos and/or creaminos. Which brings me to an other question, should I pair her with the lutino or just leave her with the Turquoise?

Thanks for your help,
Recio

Re: Help predicting mutations

Post by Recio »

Hi Rick;

From a lutino male and a creamino female you 'll just get lutinos males and females, all split turquoise (if mum is DF turquoise), or 50% split blue and 50% split turquoise if mum is blue-turquoise (heteroallelic) for both sexes (more often).

Turquoise male X turquoise female has produced blues and turquoise. It means that at least one of them is heteroallelic (TQ-Blue). Provided they are not splits, they will never produce albinos, lutinos, ...

You have the right genes but you will need 2 or 3 generations, depending on the degree of inbreeding you accepted, to get the albino, creamino, ... It would be much easier avec a lutino male split blue or with a creamino male.

Greetings

Recio
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thanks for the help. The other setup is a Turquoiseblue male x Creamino hen though. Great detail in explaining. Once again thank you for your help.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

That's great! Do you know what I'll get from a Turquoise male x Olive hen? Olive Green (DF Dark Green) not Grey-green. I'm placing the creamino with an albino male...

Thanks for your help,
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Saud;

I agree with you.
Just something to correct: a bird can not be split blue and turquoise, since they are alleles of the same locus. If it was the case the bird would not be split but turquoise.
I guess you are using blue turquoise terminology instead of just turquoise to say that the bird is split.

Greetings

Recio
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thank you very much!! You have both been very helpful.
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Hi Saud & Recio,

Maybe you can help in predictiing what mutation will I expect from this pair, Male is a Fallow Turquoise and the Female is a Green Cinnamon. At least this what the breeder told me. Appreciate your response. Thanks.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Baut 1957;

Provided the parents are not splits, and that your fallow is a clearhead fallow (buttercup) this is a pairing to avoid since you will only get green birds for both males and females:
Green males splits fallow and blue or turquoise (if dad is SF turquoise) and cinamon.
Green females splits fallow and blue or turquoise (if dad is SF turquoise).

Try always to get at least one cromosome with the same mutation from each parent. The best for recessif mutations is to pair a mutated bird to a split bird for each mutation.

Imagine you have a green male split fallow, blue and cinamon and a green female split fallow and turquoise (like the chicks you can get from your birds). You could get:

Males
3.125% 1.0 green clearhead_fallow /cinnamon cf/cf;cin+/cin;
3.125% 1.0 green /cinnamon cin+/cin;
6.25% 1.0 green /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;cin+/cin;
6.25% 1.0 green clearhead_fallow /blue cinnamon cf/cf;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
6.25% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 green /blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
3.125% 1.0 blue clearhead_fallow /cinnamon cf/cf;bl/bl;cin+/cin;
3.125% 1.0 blue /cinnamon bl/bl;cin+/cin;
6.25% 1.0 blue /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl/bl;cin+/cin;
3.125% 1.0 green clearhead_fallow cf/cf;
3.125% 1.0 green
6.25% 1.0 green /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;
6.25% 1.0 green clearhead_fallow /blue cf/cf;bl+/bl;
6.25% 1.0 green /blue bl+/bl;
12.5% 1.0 green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;
3.125% 1.0 blue clearhead_fallow cf/cf;bl/bl;
3.125% 1.0 blue bl/bl;
6.25% 1.0 blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl/bl;

Females
3.125% 0.1 green clearhead_fallow cf/cf;
3.125% 0.1 green
6.25% 0.1 green /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;
6.25% 0.1 green clearhead_fallow /blue cf/cf;bl+/bl;
6.25% 0.1 green /blue bl+/bl;
12.5% 0.1 green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;
3.125% 0.1 blue clearhead_fallow cf/cf;bl/bl;
3.125% 0.1 blue bl/bl;
6.25% 0.1 blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl/bl;
3.125% 0.1 green clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf/cf;cin/Y;
3.125% 0.1 green cinnamon cin/Y;
6.25% 0.1 green cinnamon /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;cin/Y;
6.25% 0.1 green clearhead_fallow cinnamon /blue cf/cf;bl+/bl;cin/Y;
6.25% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue bl+/bl;cin/Y;
12.5% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;cin/Y;
3.125% 0.1 blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf/cf;bl/bl;cin/Y;
3.125% 0.1 blue cinnamon bl/bl;cin/Y;
6.25% 0.1 blue cinnamon /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl/bl;cin/Y;

I have just "paste and copy" the results from the genetic calculator with all possible outcome genetics. I am not telling you to do it. Inbreeding should be avoided. This is just to show what you can get with fallow, cinamon, blue and turquoise. The only combination that you can not still get from this pair is a cinamon male (in green, blue, turquoise or fallow) since you would need the cinamon gen in both parents.

Hope it helps

Recio
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Wow. all these calculations for a bunch of green birds. Anyway thanks for your help - Recio. Appreciate it.
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

" Provided the parents are not splits, and that your fallow is a clearhead fallow (buttercup) this is a pairing to avoid since you will only get green birds for both males and females:
Green males splits fallow and blue or turquoise (if dad is SF turquoise) and cinamon.
Green females splits fallow and blue or turquoise (if dad is SF turquoise).

Try always to get at least one cromosome with the same mutation from each parent. The best for recessif mutations is to pair a mutated bird to a split bird for each mutation.

Imagine you have a green male split fallow, blue and cinamon and a green female split fallow and turquoise (like the chicks you can get from your birds). You could get: "

Recio ~ having said the above, what will be your recomended mate for my male Fallow Turquoise that will come up with a better mutation.

Thanks in advance
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi baut1957,

If your male is a fallow SFturquoise it means that it carries:
1. Fallow mutation: in both pairs of cromosomes since fallow is recessif.
2. Turquoise allele + blue allele (heteroalleles of the same locus).

To express the fallow gen in the first generation offspring you need at least a female split fallow.
To express the blue or the turquoise allele you need at least a female split blue.
You can also try to introduce dominant genes from your female in order to get visual mutations in the first generation (SF grey or SF violet). Avoid violet and grey together since grey will hide the violet mutation.

So, depending on how much money you want to spend, my recomendation for your female is:
1. Green female split fallow and blue (the cheapest)
2. Blue female split fallow
3. SF Grey green female split fallow and blue
4. SF Grey blue female split fallow
5. SF Violet green female split fallow and blue
6. SF Violet blue female split fallow (the most expensive)

Good luck for 2010 breeding

Recio
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Thanks Recio, I appreciate your help. :|
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Baut1957;

Just for playing let me calculate the offspring of your male with the female number 5 (SF violet green split blue and fallow). The results are the same for males and females since we are not considering sex-linked mutations:

6.25% green clearhead_fallow /turquoise(parblue) cf/cf;bl+/bltq;
6.25% green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bltq;
6.25% green violet(sf) clearhead_fallow /turquoise(parblue) cf/cf;V+/V;bl+/bltq;
6.25% green violet(sf) /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;V+/V;bl+/bltq;
6.25% blue clearhead_fallow cf/cf;bl/bl;
6.25% blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl/bl;
6.25% blue violet(sf) clearhead_fallow cf/cf;V+/V;bl/bl;
6.25% blue violet(sf) /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;V+/V;bl/bl;
6.25% green clearhead_fallow /blue cf/cf;bl+/bl;
6.25% green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;
6.25% green violet(sf) clearhead_fallow /blue cf/cf;V+/V;bl+/bl;
6.25% green violet(sf) /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;V+/V;bl+/bl;
6.25% turquoise(parblue)Blue clearhead_fallow cf/cf;bltq/bl;
6.25% turquoise(parblue)Blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bltq/bl;
6.25% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) clearhead_fallow cf/cf;V+/V;bltq/bl;
6.25% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;V+/V;bltq/bl;

Imagine what you could get if, indeed, your male was split yellow and or cinnamon, which could be displayed by the first generation females.

Recio
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Thank you Recio, for going out that far. I'm actually thinking of getting a VioletGreen female for him. I do have a Turquoise Lacewing hen that I'm thinking of mating to him next year. She is actually mated to a Violet Turquoise Palladino male. I purchased them as a pair. Also, I do have some 2009 hatched birds 1 GrayGreen Cinnamon and 1 Gray Cinnamon (both un-sexed yet, both from the same parents FallowGreen/Cinn male and TurquoiseGray female)) from the same breeder. Just in case they're both females, what do you think will be the best matings out of this birds? Oh, yes I also have 1 male Gray and 1 female Blue (young pair) from a different breeder. I know it sounds crazy, but man I'm enjoying every minute of it. I just don't know what to select on the genetic calculator chart for each bird so I can play around with them. Do you think this is good enough breeding materials to come up with some pretty decent mutations? Really appreciate your time with me. Thanks. :P
Recio

Post by Recio »

baut1957 wrote:Thank you Recio, for going out that far. I'm actually thinking of getting a VioletGreen female for him.
This is not a very good idea since the offspring will not display either the blue or the fallow from the father. You will just get visual green and violet-green birds.
I do have a Turquoise Lacewing hen that I'm thinking of mating to him next year
This is better option: you will get blue and turquoise birds split lacewing (pallid) and fallow.... but I think she is much better paired to her actual mate (violet turquoise pallidino)
Also, I do have some 2009 hatched birds 1 GrayGreen Cinnamon and 1 Gray Cinnamon (both un-sexed yet, both from the same parents FallowGreen/Cinn male and TurquoiseGray female)) from the same breeder. Just in case they're both females, what do you think will be the best matings out of this birds?
Here I can help you: if the genetics of the parents are correct you do not need to sex your birds: both are females since they display the cinnamon gen, coming from their father, and mum is not cinnamon. Something else: if this couple produce a grey cinnamon you can conclude that the father is also split blue. For the mother: she is SF grey turquoise (if she was DF grey all the offspring would be grey). For the offspring :
The gray-green cinnamon female is in fact grey-green-cin/fallow and 50% probabilities of split blue and 50% probabilities of split turquoise (not possible to be split blue and turquoise at the same time)
The grey-cinnamon female is in fact grey-blue-cin/fallow.
The best matings for these females would be males at least split fallow and split blue or turquoise, and with violet if you want to work on the blue series.
Oh, yes I also have 1 male Gray and 1 female Blue (young pair) from a different breeder. I know it sounds crazy, but man I'm enjoying every minute of it.
It is not crazy or otherwise we are all crazies :lol:
I just don't know what to select on the genetic calculator chart for each bird so I can play around with them. Do you think this is good enough breeding materials to come up with some pretty decent mutations?

I think so. The question is which bird you want to "create". If you know which combination of mutations you want to produce in the same bird, and you have all the mutations you need in your flock, then, it is a game to play with the genetic calculator looking for the best combinations and their probabilities to get it in one, two or three generations. There are not only colours which are important but also size, type of feather, morphology of the bird (specially head, wings, ...) and general health. My best birds are visual greens. They will not earn any price but they will allow me to improve the characteristics of the mutated birds. Let me know which kind of combination of mutations you want to produce and the birds you own: we will look for the quicker way to get it.

Cheers

Recio
Last edited by Recio on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Recio, thanks for your time. At the moment I don't know what I want to concentrate on. I'm just following want the breeders and people like you to advise me as to what is the best mutation. If there is one goal here is to produce Violet mutations, hence acquiring the Violet Turquoise Palladino male and Turquoise Lacewing hen hoping to produce Violet (that's what the breeder explained to me). With all these breeding materials what other combinations do you think will be close in producing Violet. What about a Violet Turquoise Palladino male paired with a Violet Green female? Will they come out visual Violet? Or, Fallow Turquoise male paired with Grey Green Cinn female will they produce the Golden Olive mutation? These are primarily the 2 mutations I'am interested with at the moment, Violet and Golden Olive. Hope this is not to much for you. :lol: Just really want to know the right and interesting way of enjoying this hobby of ours. I will try to get some pictures this weekend (weather permitting) - heard it will rain this weekend in California, and I will send them to you so you have a visual reference to what am talking. Thanks and I really appreciate your help. :P
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Baut;

To get visual violets you just need blue genes in both parents (since blue mutation is recessif) and one violet gen from one of the parents (since violet is dominant). There are some mutations which will "hide" the violet colour if expressed at the same time that blue or violet: lutino, grey, ... Other added mutations will produce an "altered" violet: cinnamon, pallid, ...
baut1957 wrote:If there is one goal here is to produce Violet mutations, hence acquiring the Violet Turquoise Palladino male and Turquoise Lacewing hen hoping to produce Violet (that's what the breeder explained to me).
A violet turquoise pallidino male is a very advanced combination of mutations, far more expensive that normal blue-violets, so it seems strange to me that someone sells a so precious bird just to get visual violets. Could you post a pic of your male? Anyway if the genetics are correct, from this pair you will get:

Males
6.25% blue pallidIno bl/bl;inopd/ino;
6.25% blue violet(sf) pallidIno V+/V;bl/bl;inopd/ino;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue pallidIno bltq/bl;inopd/ino;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) pallidIno V+/V;bltq/bl;inopd/ino;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) pallidIno bltq/bltq;inopd/ino;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) violet(sf) pallidIno V+/V;bltq/bltq;inopd/ino;
6.25% blue pallid bl/bl;inopd/inopd;
6.25% blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bl/bl;inopd/inopd;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid bltq/bl;inopd/inopd;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bltq/bl;inopd/inopd;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) pallid bltq/bltq;inopd/inopd;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bltq/bltq;inopd/inopd;

Females
6.25% blue ino bl/bl;ino/Y;
6.25% blue violet(sf) ino V+/V;bl/bl;ino/Y;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue ino bltq/bl;ino/Y;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) ino V+/V;bltq/bl;ino/Y;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) ino bltq/bltq;ino/Y;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) violet(sf) ino V+/V;bltq/bltq;ino/Y;
6.25% blue pallid bl/bl;inopd/Y;
6.25% blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bl/bl;inopd/Y;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid bltq/bl;inopd/Y;
12.5% turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bltq/bl;inopd/Y;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) pallid bltq/bltq;inopd/Y;
6.25% turquoise(parblue) violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bltq/bltq;inopd/Y;

As you can see from this pair is not possible to get pure blue-violets (visual violets) since the genes of the ino-pallid alleles are always present.
What about a Violet Turquoise Palladino male paired with a Violet Green female?
Here are the results expected:

Males
6.25% green /turquoise(parblue) ino bl+/bltq;ino+/ino;
6.25% green violet(df) /turquoise(parblue) ino V/V;bl+/bltq;ino+/ino;
12.5% green violet(sf) /turquoise(parblue) ino V+/V;bl+/bltq;ino+/ino;
6.25% green /blue ino bl+/bl;ino+/ino;
6.25% green violet(df) /blue ino V/V;bl+/bl;ino+/ino;
12.5% green violet(sf) /blue ino V+/V;bl+/bl;ino+/ino;
6.25% green /turquoise(parblue) pallid bl+/bltq;ino+/inopd;
6.25% green violet(df) /turquoise(parblue) pallid V/V;bl+/bltq;ino+/inopd;
12.5% green violet(sf) /turquoise(parblue) pallid V+/V;bl+/bltq;ino+/inopd;
6.25% green /blue pallid bl+/bl;ino+/inopd;
6.25% green violet(df) /blue pallid V/V;bl+/bl;ino+/inopd;
12.5% green violet(sf) /blue pallid V+/V;bl+/bl;ino+/inopd;

Females
6.25% ino /turquoise(parblue) bl+/bltq;ino/Y;
6.25% violet(df) ino /turquoise(parblue) V/V;bl+/bltq;ino/Y;
12.5% violet(sf) ino /turquoise(parblue) V+/V;bl+/bltq;ino/Y;
6.25% ino /blue bl+/bl;ino/Y;
6.25% violet(df) ino /blue V/V;bl+/bl;ino/Y;
12.5% violet(sf) ino /blue V+/V;bl+/bl;ino/Y;
6.25% pallid /turquoise(parblue) bl+/bltq;inopd/Y;
6.25% violet(df) pallid /turquoise(parblue) V/V;bl+/bltq;inopd/Y;
12.5% violet(sf) pallid /turquoise(parblue) V+/V;bl+/bltq;inopd/Y;
6.25% pallid /blue bl+/bl;inopd/Y;
6.25% violet(df) pallid /blue V/V;bl+/bl;inopd/Y;
12.5% violet(sf) pallid /blue V+/V;bl+/bl;inopd/Y;

Again, as you can see, you will not get visual violets, since there are not blue genes carried by the female. If the violet green females was split blue then you will have an oportunity to get visual violets.
Fallow Turquoise male paired with Grey Green Cinn female will they produce the Golden Olive mutation? These are primarily the 2 mutations I'am interested with at the moment, Violet and Golden Olive.
What do you call golden olive mutation? As far as I know this mutation does not exist in IRN. Olive mutation is called to the expression of double dark factor in the green series. To get the olive mutation you need both parents carrying the dark factor.
Hope this is not to much for you. :lol: Just really want to know the right and interesting way of enjoying this hobby of ours. I will try to get some pictures this weekend (weather permitting) - heard it will rain this weekend in California, and I will send them to you so you have a visual reference to what am talking.
I was always thinking that it never rains in California :lol: :lol:

Cheers
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Hi Recio, honestly this thread is getting interesting and exciting :P
Recio wrote:To get visual violets you just need blue genes in both parents (since blue mutation is recessif) and one violet gen from one of the parents (since violet is dominant). There are some mutations which will "hide" the violet colour if expressed at the same time that blue or violet: lutino, grey, ... Other added mutations will produce an "altered" violet: cinnamon, pallid, ...
If this is the case, what are my chances of getting visual Violet if I pair the Violet Turquoise Pallidino male with a Blue female? Will this mating be a good combination?
Recio wrote:A violet turquoise pallidino male is a very advanced combination of mutations, far more expensive that normal blue-violets, so it seems strange to me that someone sells a so precious bird just to get visual violets. Could you post a pic of your male?
Yes I will send you a picture and yes I bought the pair from a reliable breeder and I did pay good money on them but I guess the satisfaction of enjoying them and the possibilities of a good genectic pool with them is priceless. Hope so. :mrgreen:
Recio wrote:What do you call golden olive mutation? As far as I know this mutation does not exist in IRN. Olive mutation is called to the expression of double dark factor in the green series. To get the olive mutation you need both parents carrying the dark factor.
They're actual Grey Green Cinnamon birds and I think they call this mutation in Australia as Golden Olive (The Indian Ringneck Breeder's Handbook)
What do you think of the mating of the Fallow Turquoise male and the Grey Green Cinnamon female, will they produce visual Grey Green Cinnamons?
Recio wrote:6.25% blue pallidIno bl/bl;inopd/ino;
Lastly, educate me with these percentages - does that mean that it the percentage (possibilities) that you will come up with that mutation? :mrgreen:
Recio wrote:I was always thinking that it never rains in California
Yes, it does rain in California :lol: :lol:
Regards and thank you for your patience and time with beginners like me.
Recio

Post by Recio »

baut1957 wrote:Hi Recio, honestly this thread is getting interesting and exciting :P
Recio wrote:To get visual violets you just need blue genes in both parents (since blue mutation is recessif) and one violet gen from one of the parents (since violet is dominant). There are some mutations which will "hide" the violet colour if expressed at the same time that blue or violet: lutino, grey, ... Other added mutations will produce an "altered" violet: cinnamon, pallid, ...
If this is the case, what are my chances of getting visual Violet if I pair the Violet Turquoise Pallidino male with a Blue female? Will this mating be a good combination?
Hi Baut;

In order to get visual violets (blue-violets) with your male that is the best option: female blue. The problem is not the female but the male: it carries lutino and pallid genes which will be expressed by his daughters hidding any possible visual violet hens. In fact with a blue female you will get:

Males:
12.5% 1.0 blue /ino bl/bl;ino+/ino;
12.5% 1.0 blue violet(sf) /ino V+/V;bl/bl;ino+/ino; .............................. visual violet split ino
12.5% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /ino bltq/bl;ino+/ino; ........................ visual turquoise split ino
12.5% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) /ino V+/V;bltq/bl;ino+/ino; ....... Visual turquoise violet split ino
12.5% 1.0 blue /pallid bl/bl;ino+/inopd; ........................................... visual blue split pallid
12.5% 1.0 blue violet(sf) /pallid V+/V;bl/bl;ino+/inopd; ......................... visual violet split pallid
12.5% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid bltq/bl;ino+/inopd; ................... visual turquoise split pallid
12.5% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) /pallid V+/V;bltq/bl;ino+/inopd; .. visual turquoise violet split pallid

Females:
12.5% 0.1 blue ino bl/bl;ino/Y; .................................................. visual albino
12.5% 0.1 blue violet(sf) ino V+/V;bl/bl;ino/Y; ................................ visual albino hidding violet mutation
12.5% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue ino bltq/bl;ino/Y; .......................... visual creamino
12.5% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) ino V+/V;bltq/bl;ino/Y; ........ visual creamino-violet
12.5% 0.1 blue pallid bl/bl;inopd/Y; ............................................. visual blue pallid
12.5% 0.1 blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bl/bl;inopd/Y; ........................... visual violet pallid
12.5% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid bltq/bl;inopd/Y; ..................... visual rainbow
12.5% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) pallid V+/V;bltq/bl;inopd/Y; ... visual rainbow violet

As you can see there are not visual violet hens from this pair, and only 25% of the males will be visual violets (50% split pallid and 50% split ino). If the goal is to produce visual violets you are interested in eliminating pallid and ino genes. If the goal is to produce a great variety of combinations this female is perfect. Turquoise in combination with violet produce very beautifull birds ... and what to say about the rainbow violet: for me this is one of the best combinations to obtain with basic mutations.
What do you think of the mating of the Fallow Turquoise male and the Grey Green Cinnamon female, will they produce visual Grey Green Cinnamons?
I think that it is not a good pairing:

Fallow is recessif ...... since there are not fallow genes in the female all the chicks will be split fallow.
Turquoise-blue is recessif .... again the same about the female ..... all the chicks will be split blue (50%) or turquoise (50%)
Grey is dominant: if your female is DF grey all the chicks will be green-grey, if your female is SF grey (usually) you will obtain 50% of the chicks green-grey and 50% green.
Cinnamon is sex-linked: all males chicks will be split cinnamon, no one female chick will carry cinnamon genes.... so it is impossible from this pair getting grey green cinnamons. To obtain grey green cinnamons you need the father to be also cinnamon or at least split cinnamon.

Here you have the outcome of your pairing:

Males:
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bltq;cin+/cin;
25.0% 1.0 green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl+/bltq;cin+/cin;
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
25.0% 1.0 green /blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;

Females:
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bltq;
25.0% 0.1 green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bltq;
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bl;
25.0% 0.1 green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;

Usually grey green IRN are split blue because grey gen is used in the blue series to obtain visual greys. If this was the case the out come to obtain would be:

Males:
12.5% 1.0 grey(sf) green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bltq;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl+/bltq;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 grey(sf) blue /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bl/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 blue /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 green /blue clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bl+/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;G+/G;bltq/bl;cin+/cin;
12.5% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /clearhead_fallow cinnamon cf+/cf;bltq/bl;cin+/cin;

Females:
12.5% 0.1 grey(sf) green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bltq;
12.5% 0.1 green /turquoise(parblue) clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bltq;
12.5% 0.1 grey(sf) blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bl/bl;
12.5% 0.1 blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl/bl;
12.5% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bl+/bl;
12.5% 0.1 green /blue clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bl+/bl;
12.5% 0.1 grey(sf) turquoise(parblue)Blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;G+/G;bltq/bl;
12.5% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue /clearhead_fallow cf+/cf;bltq/bl;

Recio wrote:6.25% blue pallidIno bl/bl;inopd/ino;
Lastly, educate me with these percentages - does that mean that it the percentage (possibilities) that you will come up with that mutation? :mrgreen:
Correct: it means the probability of getting this specific combination of genes, or the probability of chicks in the nest displaying this combination: 25% of males with a specific combination of genes means that 1 male in 4 will dispaly this combination of genes, 12.5% is one male in 8, 6.25% is one male in 16, ....

Recio wrote:I was always thinking that it never rains in California
Yes, it does rain in California :lol: :lol:
Even if it rains, do not say it: do not distroy the dreaming picture we foreingners have of your country ... 8) 8)

Regards

Recio
baut1957

Post by baut1957 »

Hi Recio ~ thanks for clearinng a lot of my questions.
Recio wrote:In order to get visual violets (blue-violets) with your male that is the best option: female blue. The problem is not the female but the male: it carries lutino and pallid genes which will be expressed by his daughters hidding any possible visual violet hens. In fact with a blue female you will get:
I'm glad that at least I have a bigger chance of getting visual Violet with this mating. Am still working out with the pictures and I will post it here. Thanks, my friend. :P
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Baut 1957;

When posting the pictures, do not forget to ask the breeder who were the parents of your turquoise-violet-pallid-ino male.
When working with so many mutations it is really difficult to know the exact genetics, specially when mutations acting on the appearence of melanin (turquoise and violet) are present in a bird with a very, very, very low concentration of melanin (look at the pallidino male here: http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... rameri.htm ; as you can see he is almost completely yellow, like a lutino).
Something else: in order to get a pallid-ino male the breeder has to put a pallid or a lutino female to a male carrying lutino or pallid genes (as split or as mutated): this is something that usually is avoided since it is well known that ino gen hides mutations acting on melanin concentration/distribution and also structural mutations (violet, dark, grey) needing melanin to be seen.
That's why I am really curious of seing your pictures.

I hope you received my mail.

Regards

Recio
Ranjan

Post by Ranjan »

My male is a blue bird and female is a cinnamon blue with slightly grey on the flying feathers edge. What colour chicks I will get. Please anyone could help me. Thanks for your wonderful time.