Cock bird sitting

Moderator: Mods

Chienderace

Cock bird sitting

Post by Chienderace »

Hi All, I have noticed that my cock bird is often not seen in the aviary, so I looked in the box and he is sitting on the eggs. Is this normal? There are four eggs and two are fertile , the others maybe, I'll look at them in a couple of days.
Recio

Re: Cock bird sitting

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The cock, is he alone in the nestbox or with the female?
If they are together: can you efectively see any eggs under the male?
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

Hi Recio, he is on his own, no eggs visible and he talks to me to say that all is ok! The hen is out in the avaiary and then they swap after a while. It seems unusual as none of the others do it. At night, they both sleep in the box.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Chien-de-race

Yes,
Really unusual. No one of my pairs behaves like them. Far more, no one of my IRN talk to me :lol: :lol:
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

Hi Recio,
It seems that he does the afternoon shift, as I returned from work just after lunch and again he was in the box and the hen was in the aviary. They change mid afternoon! I have seen it with other birds but not parrots before. :roll:
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi chien de race,
Are you sure that the eggs are fertile?
May be your birds are 2 females (to consider if the suppossed "male" is too young or an albino, not showing any ring in any of both situations) and they behave as a couple, even laying eggs, like other parrots do.
If your male is really a cock (proven cock or with a ringneck), this behaviour would be another exemple of the adaptability of these birds.

Cheers

PS Why have you chosen chienderace? Do you like dogs?
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

Hi Recio, I wondered if you would pick up the name. I breed Papillons under that prefix.

The eggs are fertile, the cock is a pallid, has a full ring and they have bred before. I must add that the hen is a very poor sitter, coming off her eggs frequently, so maybe he is compensating for her!!
Recio

Post by Recio »

What a smart and hardworker male you have !!! With such a male you almost do not need females :lol: :lol:
Keep us posted: let us know if he is also a good father

Cheers
bec

Post by bec »

Recio wrote:Hi Chien-de-race

Yes,
Really unusual. No one of my pairs behaves like them. Far more, no one of my IRN talk to me :lol: :lol:
im having the same thing happen with riku &kirara not just the eggs he also takes shifts on helping feed the bubs!
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

Yes, other cock birds that I have also feed the young ones, and it shows in their developement. They are feathering much faster than the ones where only the hen is feeding. But now I know that this fellow is not unique!! :D