Breeding Ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

junglebirds2004

Breeding Ringnecks

Post by junglebirds2004 »

My pair of IRN's are beginning to court I think. This is my first time to breed IRN's. My pair are lutino, they are a proven pair, that belonged to a friend of mine.

The female is scratching in the nest box, sometimes the male goes in with her. Today he was feeding her.

She begs at him lots now. She goes into her little trance. However, I have not seen them mate. Though they probably have when I am away from home.

Does this activity mean they will soon lay a clutch? I am so hoping they will. You see I had their daughter from a clutch 2 years ago, and recently, my husbands dog got into my room and killed her. I am completely broken hearted. She was my baby. I raised her from a chick, and she shared my meals with me, and was my constant companion. I desire another chick from this pair.

Any advise you can give would be appreciated.

Monica
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Welcome Junglebirds

It seems like your Ringnecks are in full heat and breeding is underway! Just keep doing what you’re doing and you should have the female lay eggs real soon.

I am sorry that your husband’s dog killed your female Ringneck. That can be really hard and horrifying to deal with. I have had a similar case, although mine was an African Grey. His name was Elmo. I took him out on the patio for fresh air and came home late on night. To my surprise there were raccoons out there. They pulled Elmo through the bars of the cage. I found his head and body in two different sections of my backyard. I was horrified and in shock.

My little parrot Elmo used to run down the hall calling my name when he wanted to play. He surly will be missed :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hang in there; you’ll have your new Ringneck soon! :wink:

Best Wishes

I.C.
junglebirds2004

ringnecks courting

Post by junglebirds2004 »

well as of today I have seen them mating several times over the past week. He is now feeding her lots. They are staying in the nest box more and more.

I am so hoping they will soon lay a clutch. I can't wait to have baby ringnecks. I am nervous about handfeeding them. I have done cockaties, bugies and my Quaker parrot all successfully. I just hope I do everything correct with these babies as they are precious to me. I have already ordered my handfeeding formula,from my food supplier. I have my brooders ready to go.

I will be leaving my chicks with the parents for the first couple of weeks then I will take over feeding them myself.

Thanks for all the help. I put your information in my folder with IRN information. You have the best help on the net.

Monica
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Aw, thanks :wink:

I enjoy helping my fellow ringneck enthusiasts! Please keep us updated!

Best Wishes,

I.C.

Post by Guest »

I am new in ringnecks.. I have acquired a pair a month a go.. last weekend i put up their breeding nestbox... i think the size is 15x15x20... What will i put inside the nestbox? should i offer nesting materials... ? or should i put pine shaving inside it ? what are the signs that my pair is going to have an egg already? and what foods or diet should i give for breeding ringnecks? thanks so much...
junglebirds@aol.com

eggs

Post by junglebirds@aol.com »

Hello all.

Well we finally have an egg. Kamari laid her first of the clutch yesterday.

I will keep you posted.

Monica
sanober

Re: Breeding Ringnecks

Post by sanober »

hi i m sanber from Pakistan ,plz do let me know how i'll recognise my hen is clutched and ready to lay eggs i dont have nest boxes ,what her act realises me that she is seeking for nest boxes?has her lower body part flaten or increases? y my parrot love to clean my hen's tail?is this their sex way?i dont know what they do for breeding plz as soon as u get time do let me know i have four ringneck green parrots in pairs and what vegetable they love to eat ?i give them green chillie they love to eat another veggie i dont know what they eat ,i m confused about pellets what os meaning of pellets ?what seed pellet contain ,i offer fruit to my IRN's they love to eat olive seeds.what is breeding season in Pakistan? and what i give to my hen to offer food to chicks? plz plz plz help me i m so confuse .take care .
sanober .Pakistan
JUNGLEBIRDS1@AOL.COM

EGGS

Post by JUNGLEBIRDS1@AOL.COM »

Kamari and Ra have laid four eggs. The clutch is complete.

Now I just sit back and see what happens.

The first egg is due to hatch between 12-10 thru 12-12-04.

I can't wait. I have everything ready.

I will keep you posted as I can. I don't have a computer so must
use one at local library.

Monica
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Monica,

WOW, how exciting! Hope all goes well with your birds...thanks for keeping us updated :) Good Luck! :wink:
-Misty
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

sanober wrote:hi i m sanber from Pakistan ,plz do let me know how i'll recognise my hen is clutched and ready to lay eggs i dont have nest boxes ,what her act realises me that she is seeking for nest boxes?has her lower body part flaten or increases? y my parrot love to clean my hen's tail?is this their sex way?i dont know what they do for breeding plz as soon as u get time do let me know i have four ringneck green parrots in pairs and what vegetable they love to eat ?i give them green chillie they love to eat another veggie i dont know what they eat ,i m confused about pellets what os meaning of pellets ?what seed pellet contain ,i offer fruit to my IRN's they love to eat olive seeds.what is breeding season in Pakistan? and what i give to my hen to offer food to chicks? plz plz plz help me i m so confuse .take care .
sanober .Pakistan

Sanober,

I think you need a nest box...where else would your bird lay eggs??? They eat just about any fruit and vegetables. Just NO AVACADO. You can give them a cockatiel seed mix (sunflower seeds etc.) I have no idea what breeding season is in Pakistan :? Sorry...Hope this helps!
-Misty
bobbie699

breeding

Post by bobbie699 »

my two ringnecks green and yellow have mated several times over a monthbut they havn't laid any eggs
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You can expect eggs four weeks after mating.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes :wink:

Imran
Last edited by ringneck on Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

ringneck wrote:You can expect eggs for weeks after mating.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes :wink:

Imran

Is it always like this.. after you see your pair mate, automatically expect eggs after 4 weeks? I saw my birds just this morning mating for a long time.. Should i expect eggs or is it possible that the hen wont lay eggs? what is the behavior when the hen is ready to lay eggs? tnx..
Chris Cunnningham

breeding IRN's

Post by Chris Cunnningham »

Hi i have a pair of IRN's and i am trying to breed them, they are a proven pair. I have them in a cage(large) and was wondering if they will breed in it. i have a nest box(25/25/40cm) in the cage and they use it but the male more often than the female althought i have watched them for hours at a time and she dosn't chase him. Why is this and will they breed?.

hope someone can help me, looking forward to hearing from you!

kind Regards, Chris
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Chris

The female will not always chase the male. Every Ringneck is different.

Give them time to breed. I will say though it seems like you have just purchased new Ringnecks and breeding season has just started. If you are lucky you might get a clutch of eggs this year; however, next year is a good possibility because of their new house.

I.C.
chris_c

chris

Post by chris_c »

thanks I.C

the pair i have i have had for about 1 year and was wondering if they would breed in there cage. i do not have the space to put up a flight or avairy so i only have the cage, so i am hoping they would breed in it.
i live in N.Ireland so i don't know if the breeding season is the same as were you are. have you any idea when the season is or whether it is the same?

thanks
Punjabi Mr

Post by Punjabi Mr »

Hi My ringnecks have been mating everyday in the morning for about a week... for short periods of time and it has been couple weeks now but still no eggs.. am i supposed to expect any ?? got a nesting box set up but they ain't entered yet ??
princeaddi

Post by princeaddi »

sanober wrote:
hi i m sanber from Pakistan ,plz do let me know how i'll recognise my hen is clutched and ready to lay eggs i dont have nest boxes ,what her act realises me that she is seeking for nest boxes?has her lower body part flaten or increases? y my parrot love to clean my hen's tail?is this their sex way?i dont know what they do for breeding plz as soon as u get time do let me know i have four ringneck green parrots in pairs and what vegetable they love to eat ?i give them green chillie they love to eat another veggie i dont know what they eat ,i m confused about pellets what os meaning of pellets ?what seed pellet contain ,i offer fruit to my IRN's they love to eat olive seeds.what is breeding season in Pakistan? and what i give to my hen to offer food to chicks? plz plz plz help me i m so confuse .take care .
sanober .Pakistan

hello sanober u have to attach nestboxes now the season in pak that IRN'S breed is from feb to july give all healthy food to hen like frsh veggies and fruits exept avacado
ahmad718

Post by ahmad718 »

hello :D

i have bought a proven pair of indian ringnecks from FL and had them shipped to queens ny about 2 weeks ago. i have them inside the house . i keep the apt room temperature a a bit over 75 deg. i got a green male and female lutino . they seem very nice and get along just fine, i bought them a nest box and installed it on the outside of the cage i also put pine shavings in the nextbox but from the previous comments i see the box they got is 10x10x20.. what is my box is 10x10x12? would this be a problem for them to lay there eggs ???? the female is scratching the bottom of the nest box and usually see the pine shaving flying out the box lol.. can anyone help me
Chilled guy

Post by Chilled guy »

I have a problem my irn are have lots of sex but the girl hasn't laid any eggs I got a breeding box she goes in idk what she does comes out he feeds her ect help