TROUBLE!!!!

Moderator: Mods

Tweets

TROUBLE!!!!

Post by Tweets »

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kiwi is attacking Skye!!!
All this time, I thought it would be the other way around!!!
Skye is oldest - she is 2 years old..
New baby (kiwi) has just turned 6 weeks old..

What do I do now?!?!?!
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sami, Skye and Kiwi
Sami
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Keep them seperated if they cant get along.

It is actually the same way with my girls... the baby pushes the two year old around like a punk

One girl is 6 months, one is 2 yrs
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

The little ones are almost always the aggressors. Until Kiwi matures, she may never leave Skye alone. I advise separate playtimes or playstands.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Tweets

Post by Tweets »

that makes me really sad to hear..
The whole point of me getting another birdie was because Skye is a plucker and now has a collar on to stop the habit..
I figured that when the collar comes off, she might get bored again and start plucking again..
I got kiwi so that skye has a friend to play with..
maybe its better then that I get rid of the younger bird.. it would break my heart, but I dont see what else I can do :(
Sami
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Don’t be so hasty with the getting rid part of the new bird your baby is still very young so it feels threatened by skye that’s why it is attacking. In the wild the parents would not allow any other adults in the nest and if they ever did get in they would kill the young and clam the nest as their own.

Or maybe You have gone the wrong way about introducing them to each other. Keep them in separate cages in close proximity to one and other. Keep them like this for a while until you think they have bonded and then separate them i.e. put them in separate rooms. They will start to call each other.

This is how I introduced my IRN to my CAG now they are best friends.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Exactly what IMR said (if I may call you that :wink: ), my 6 month old kicks the crap out of her two yr old sister. They like having one other around but babies are bullies because they want to play and the bigger birds just wants to be left alone to look pretty.

So, the only reaction the baby can get is by picking a beak match. Any attention is better than no attention, like when kids act up.

Keep them together as much as safely possible under supervision.
NEVER acknowledge one without acknowledging the other.
Seperate play stands but close together is what I do. They have a rope perch connecting the two in case they want to interact.
Being a mother of 4, I have found that if you treat an Irn like a 3 year old, they completely get where you are coming from. We tend to forget their level of intelligence, thereby, allowing them to take control. Manipulation is an art, they are born with a masters in manipluation.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Even though Hane and Tsume are brothers, they didn't get along for a while after we separated them. Hane would chase Tsume off the playstand. Now they're almost at a truce, though most of the time Hane hogs the food. :? But it has taken months to get them at the point, even though we've had them since they were babies.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

I agree that you should treat them like you would a 3 yr old. Chuckles and Sunny attack each other all the time. I used to get so upset about it but then I realised they weren't actually inflicting mortal wounds. I had a King Parrot once who lived in a cage with an IRN pair when I first moved house. The IRNs actually pecked the eye out of the much bigger King Parrot. If your birds aren't actually causing physical damage to each other, let them be. They have big sharp beaks and if they really wanted to kill - they can.
Tweets

Post by Tweets »

thanks for the suggestions guys!
I really appreciate it..
Will definately try all of the above..
Skye and Kiwi have been kept at a safe distance - Kiwi seems to have calmed down somewhat.. thankfully!

Will keep you posted!
Sami
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hey Sami

How are things between Kiwi and Skye? I hope you are all doing well. I would love to hear an update on how things have been going.
-Chamon-

Tweets

Post by Tweets »

Thanks for asking!
Kiwi still likes to aggrivate Skye somewhat.. When they are both on my shoulders, Kiwi, comes across to Skyes shoulder and makes her fly off.. Im assuming its Kiwi fighting for the heirarchy..
Other than that, they seem pretty much ok.. SKye sometimes sleeps on top of Kiwi's cage. Kiwi isn't allowed to sleep outside of the cage because her wings need to be clipped again. SKye has full roam of wherever she wants to go :)

Im sure that in time, things will get better. Both birds get equal amount of attention, tho I must admit, Skye hasn't been looking too happy recently and im feeling bad about it :(
Sami
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Its good to hear from you. How is Skyes plucking? Is she getting any better?
-Chamon-

ScarletKnight

siblings

Post by ScarletKnight »

irn are social bird i agree with imran but what i foudn work best is keep the cages next to each other. jsut like you can't stand ure sister/brother from time to time same here. you baby feels threatned please give alot of attention but equal to both of them. donot throw them together although irn can be kept in same cage i more hesitant to do it. what ever u donot feed them from the same bowl that a nuclear disaster that is waiting to happen if i ever heard one. seprate and only allow to mingle if ure there to referee. ciao
scarlet
***Disclaimer*** the statement above is opinion expressed soley for the purpose of providing educational and guidance to its reader. It does not by any implied meaning offend disrespect anymore. Your understanding is appreciated***
Tweets

Post by Tweets »

Hi guys..
Because Skye has a collar on, she hasn't been plucking. Feathers are growing back nicely. The collar has been on for the past 4 and a half months. She is quite used to it, but im hoping to have it off her pretty soon!

Nope, I never feed them from the same bowl. They have their own bowls. Skye is on a tree playstand next to Kiwis cage.. Kiwi has to be in the cage because she is starting to fly around again.. Need to clip her wings. I really dont like keeping my baby's caged.. I'd prefer for them both to be able to walk around wherever and whenever.. Skye never goes into the cage.. only sleeps on top some night :)
Sami
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Have you examined any reasons for her plucking. (sorry I dont have a question mark button as one of the suns stole it) There are alot of good articles about it on the web perhaps they can help.