Help please! Hand raising day old chick

Moderator: Mods

ringybaby

Help please! Hand raising day old chick

Post by ringybaby »

Mum wasnt feeding it at all, it was very weak so I made the decision to pull it from the nest. How often should I feed & how much? I also raise baby cockatiels but only from when they are 2 weeks old
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

i think it would be the same as feeding ur "tiels.i would ask melika. he knows alot about hand rearing.
Melika

Post by Melika »

She, lol. This site already has a good article:

http://www.indianringneck.com/handfeed/

If you're ever unsure about how often to feed, just feed when the crop empties. You'll get a pretty good idea of the time after a few feedings.

You have to keep your chick warm:

1 day-2 weeks 90 degrees F
2-3 weeks 92-88
4-5 weeks 88-82
6 weeks 82-78
7-8 weeks, depending on feathering 75 or room temperature

If you don't have a brooder, you can use a small plastic tank with a heating pad underneath. But you need to make sure the temp doesn't spike out of control and isn't too hot. This is just a rough chart, and I'd say a new chick should be at about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The chick will die if it's too cold, since the food won't move through it's system.

Here's another good ariticle: Hand Feeding
It's a good reference, I use it. I just did, lol. I just don't always remember all these little exact numbers. ^_^

Didn't realize you this was your topic too. Mikaela, can you delete the other topic? We don't need it, the "URGENT URGENT How soon after hatching should they be fed?" one. ^_~
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay