when to pull for hand feeding

Moderator: Mods

sarahmohla

when to pull for hand feeding

Post by sarahmohla »

Hi,
I think I have 3 baby irns. By the chirping I estimate that they hatched about 4 days ago. When is the best time to pull them for hand feeding? I haven't peeked in the nest box. Can I look without upsetting everyone? Someone told me that the parents will kill them if I look... Is this true?
Sarah
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi I am new to INR and have only had a pair for a few months. The have babies that are now a week old and I am allowed in the box when i like without objection. But when I had them and put the nest box in and they were in the box i always knock the box so as they are prepared and they can move over or go out without any panic. I have handled my babies a few times to check the crop ( but i know i am privileged). I will be pulling my babies next thursday or friday so i can begin feeding they will be then 2 weeks old. But if you do a serch on this site you will find some good posts hope this helps. Kaz
sarahmohla

Post by sarahmohla »

Hi and thanks for the reply. Do you plan to keep each baby separate while handfeeding. I have heard conflicting views on this. Thanks for the info on going in the box, I'll get up the nerve to look soon.
Sarah
Sarah
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I am lucky with my birds. Most allow me to look in the nest at anytime frome eggs to chicks hatching. I try not to disturb mine alot. Usually check when I see alot of time being spent in the nest to see if any eggs hae been laid, then again when the first egg is laid, then once again around a week later to see how many eggs and if all is ok. Then I let the hen do her thing until it is close to hatching day. :D Around hatching time, I check every day to make sure all chicks are ok.

I have read lots of different opinions on this from leave birds alone to check them. I just do what I feel the hen will allow me to do.

Last year I had 3 chicks die soon after hatching and the fourth unhatched egg I removed and put under another hen who had clear eggs, to see if it was a parent thing.
I removed the clear eggs and replaced them with the remaining egg. Later that day the egg hatched. I kept a close eye on that chick since her siblings died under their parents care.
Luckily I did keep a close eye on things as this chick developed splayed legs and would have been too far gone to repair if I had not kept up with my nosiness. :P

I am not sure what happened with the 3 chicks that died, if it was a parent thing, the weather or just a bad season as many other breeders here had last year with nest deaths. The parents have bred successfully in the past for the previous owner. I hadn't checked the chicks much either and am kicking myself for it as if I had, then those 3 might still be alive today. :(

Having said all this, I have been told of birds that do not like having their nests checked and will be quite stressed over it. Like I said, maybe I am just lucky with my birds.

With pulling of chicks from the nest, I don't have a set age limit. It depends on my time allowance for feeding etc. Plus I prefer the chicks to get as much of mums goodness as possible. Sometimes I don't pully till 3 weeks or even 4. My last IRN, 'Junior G', I pulled a few days before s/he was ready to fledge and so far this has been the best chick ever!! No bluffing stage, very gentle, super affectionate etc. Just the best bird. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but 'Junior' was an only child while all my other chicks have had siblings to compete with for food attention etc. All my others who I pulled between 3-4 weeks of age have gone through the bluffing stage and was quite challenging at times lol They have all had brothers and sisters so I am wondering if sibling rivalry has anything to do with trying to be dominant?
When I do pull chicks, I keep the same family all together in the brooder. I keep chicks together from other parents but seperate from other families, if that makes sense. lol :)

This is just what works for me and I try to "read" my birds as to what I can get away with and treat each one accordingly.

I am sure others will have opinions and experience to share as well. :)

Good luck with it all happy chickies! lol
sarahmohla

Post by sarahmohla »

Thank you so much for all the good info. I am so happy I found this site!
Sarah
sarahmohla

Post by sarahmohla »

Forgot to ask.... Would like to double clutch them... Should I pull at 2 weeks to give them a chance to produce again? Or do you think four weeks is suffient? We live in New England, USA. Still have a little more good spring weather and light before we get into the summer months.
Sarah
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think double clutching depends on what time of the breeding season they breed as well as removing the eggs or chicks at a young age. I also read somewhere that more experienced pairs double clutch compared to first timers and less experienced parents. :)

My green pair have doubled clutched the last 3 years I have owned them and I remove their chicks at the age stated earlier. But they are the first ones to kick start the breeding season off. Also last year I let the hen rear the chicks fully and she STILL doubled clutched even though I didn't want her to. I saw them mating BEFORE the chicks in the nest had fledged.

All my other pairs started breeding towards the end of the season and only had one clutch each.

I personally don't try to make my birds double clutch as it takes a lot out of the hen, but some, (like the green pair) just seem to want to be parents all the time. lol
Rolly

Time to Pull

Post by Rolly »

I've found it easier to handfeed bappies pulled at two weeks.
They are not shy nor resistant when handfed with a spoon.
While it's OK to pull at 4 weeks, my experience with bappies
this age makes the use of a syringe necessary
at feeding time.