Hypothetical separation.

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Hypothetical separation.

Post by Lauren »

Im thinking of separating Jibby and Lola next year as I think Lola would be better off as a breeder, shes not really pet friendly and I will have the space and avary outside for her.
She also hasnt successfully reared any chicks yet but shes only really has last year when she laid 4 eggs.
If I got a new man for Lola and Jibby still wanted some 'love' during breeding season. Could I swap the males every year of so? So Lola will get some 'variety'? How would Lola go with accepting this? Do many females accept change like this?
:? Just trying to find whether this would be best. It will happen next year. So its a long way off yet. But Im researching at the moment.
Thanx for any help.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol poor Lola, with all these plans of husband swapping lol :P

I read where some breeders swap partners every season or so. A few keep all the girls in one aviary and the boys in another until breeding season then pair them up according to what colours they are after at that time. Just what I have read though. Never done it myself. :)

Some girls want a certain man no matter what you do. Last year I have one girl who was determined to be with one male bird no matter what I did. She even resorted to digging, (dirt flooring), her way under the dividers and crawled under the wire I had put down there from her previous attempts, to get to him. :twisted: :twisted: Obviously she wasn't happy with the man I provided for her. :roll: :lol:
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Lauren! Love the post! Had me laughing so hard! Yes, it would be a great idea to place her into a breeding program. After all, she was born an aviary bird and has not been imprinted towards humans.

Ringnecks who have been handfed sometimes never get the breeding thing right--Who knows why? But I think Lola would be a perfect candidate. Ohh and yes, Indian Ringnecks are not monogamous so changing pairs would be fine.

Hope this helps!
:wink:
Best wishes,

Imran
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Awesome! Ill be looking into getting another male in December/January! Im going to miss Lola showertimes though. Showertimes are the only times she seems to want to 'bond' with me, she goes nuts over showers with me! :( Im the only human she will 'put up with' even though Ive tried so hard with her.
But I still think she'd be happier with her own space in an avary, Jibby also seems like he wants a break. Even though Lolas been flirting/love teasing him the last few weeks, he'd rather be in another room alone most of the time and gets all grumpy when she starts being noisy. LOL.

Aww Pinkdevil, haha thats so funny she dug her way to the man of her dreams! LOL. Lola better like the man I provide! haha.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year