Yellowhead Inquiry

Moderator: Mods

tuanpm

Yellowhead Inquiry

Post by tuanpm »

Is the Buttercup the same as a clearhead Fallow and/or Yellowhead Cinnamon? I have seen these names floating around the internet, but, the bird pictures look the same. Can somone kindly tell me what is the difference.
Last edited by tuanpm on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recio

Re: Yellowhead Inquiry

Post by Recio »

tuanpm wrote:Buttercup the same as a clearhead Fallow and/or Yellowhead Cinnamon? I have seen these names floating around the internet, but, the bird pictures look the same. Can somone kindly tell me what is the difference.
Hi, tuanpm

There are several possibilities of getting IRN with yellow/white heads. This subject has been fully developped by Dr Deon Smith in:

http://www.sunbird1.co.za/the_yellowheads.htm

I hope you will find the answers in his site
Recio

Post by Recio »

..... and here is a link to see the pictures of the yellow-headed phenotypes and the corresponding eyes colours:

http://www.sunbird1.co.za/new_page_1.htm

A really good work of Deon Smith !!!
Jay

Post by Jay »

tuanpm wrote:Buttercup the same as a clearhead Fallow and/or Yellowhead Cinnamon? I have seen these names floating around the internet, but, the bird pictures look the same. Can somone kindly tell me what is the difference.
Buttercup is the Clearhed_Fallow. There are at least five genotypes that fit the "Yellowhead Cinnamon" description.
tuanpm

Yellowhead Inquiry

Post by tuanpm »

Thank for the clarifications.

The internet websites were quite informative and Jay simply breakdown make it so much less complicated. I really appreciate your assistances. You have save me a bit of time from making some IRN pairing mistakes.

BTW, I have seen a few advertisement that states Cleartail Mutations, Can I assume that this also has the Clearhead/Buttercup Genotype. Genecalc.com indicates that these are separate mutation. Are they linked to each other? Further clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Jay

Post by Jay »

tuanpm wrote:Thank for the clarifications.

The internet websites were quite informative and Jay simply breakdown make it so much less complicated. I really appreciate your assistances. You have save me a bit of time from making some IRN pairing mistakes.

BTW, I have seen a few advertisement that states Cleartail Mutations, Can I assume that this also has the Clearhead/Buttercup Genotype. Genecalc.com indicates that these are separate mutation. Are they linked to each other? Further clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cleartails are an entirely different mutation from the Buttercups. No linkage is known so far. In the US, Cleartails are worth twice that of Buttercups.

In any advertisement, it is best to verify the genetics of the birds you are buying esp. high-priced mutations. There are many breeders out there who do not know the genetics of birds they are selling. As an example, there's a gentleman in Florida who advertises Opalines, as it turns out, his birds are nothing but Pieds.
tuanpm

Yellowhead Inquiry

Post by tuanpm »

Jay:

Thank for the added clarification.

I assume that pairing a male Greygreen CHCT X Green Buttercup is not recommended. This would result in Greygreen & Green IRN split for the CHCT & Buttercup genotype.

I original thought that the resultant would be GreyGreen Clearhead/Cleartail & Green Clearhead/Cleartail.

What would you recommend I pair the male with for the best result so that I do not waste the CHCT genotype.
Jay

Post by Jay »

tuanpm wrote:Jay:

Thank for the added clarification.

I assume that pairing a male Greygreen CHCT X Green Buttercup is not recommended. This would result in Greygreen & Green IRN split for the CHCT & Buttercup genotype.

I original thought that the resultant would be GreyGreen Clearhead/Cleartail & Green Clearhead/Cleartail.

What would you recommend I pair the male with for the best result so that I do not waste the CHCT genotype.

Pair it with a visual Cleartail or split Cleartail hen. Also, get used to using the term Cleartail as opposed to CHCT, etc. Saves you on the confusion.