hen or cock

Moderator: Mods

lewi111

hen or cock

Post by lewi111 »

I have a blue IRN that i bought as a 'female'---but has a light blue ring around the neck.To me im positive its a male.Any ideas.The ring is quite visible , not really faint.Would upload a pic but not sure how to do it.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

How old is your IRN?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, a lighter colouration of blue around the neck line, even a shallow pale grey even, can be common across females as well as young males.

Ideally, a pic would clear it up along with its age.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

I have posted a pic on 'submit aticles' section please have a look an tell me if you think its m or f
Jay

Post by Jay »

lewi111 wrote:I have posted a pic on 'submit aticles' section please have a look an tell me if you think its m or f
Unless the father of that bird is a sex-linked mutation and the mother is not, then that bird can be any gender.

For example, if the father is a Blue Pallid and the mother is a Blue bird, then any Blue bird is guaranteed male.

Other than a solid dimorphic neckring in males, pictures are never conclusive in determining gender.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

The blue bird is about 2 years old i believe
Jan

Re: hen or cock

Post by Jan »

lewi111 wrote:I have a blue IRN that i bought as a 'female'---but has a light blue ring around the neck.To me im positive its a male.Any ideas.The ring is quite visible , not really faint.Would upload a pic but not sure how to do it.
Catch the Ringneck and open the right wing, Gently blow where the Wing conects to the body. If it is a Male you will see almost like a Ink spot ± 2 inches wide. If you dont see any spot it is a Female. The spot color is almost like dried blood color. This is the way to sex your Ringnecks at ± 2 years old and without any visible rings , or if you not sure about the sex.

Chow Jan :)
Recio

Post by Recio »

Catch the Ringneck and open the right wing, Gently blow where the Wing conects to the body. If it is a Male you will see almost like a Ink spot ± 2 inches wide. If you dont see any spot it is a Female. The spot color is almost like dried blood color. This is the way to sex your Ringnecks at ± 2 years old and without any visible rings , or if you not sure about the sex.

Chow Jan
Hi Jan,

First time I hear about the ink spot to sex IRN.
Some questions:
At what age it would be visible?
Is it related to the color of the animal or not? Do albinos or lutinos show it?
Where did you hear/read about it?
Is it only under the right wing or also under the left one?
Before disturbing my animals to test for the ink spot, I would like to know a bit more.

Recio
Jan

Post by Jan »

Recio wrote:

Chow Jan
Hi Jan,

Some questions:
Before disturbing my animals to test for the ink spot, I would like to know a bit more.

Recio
:D Recio yes we learn new things and way's every day.
Ok the Male has a mark under the right wing and the Female has the mark under the left wing. I call it a ink spot, but is is in actual fact a BLOOD mark. I learnt this from one of South Africa's bigest and best Breeders. This is the best way to sex your IRN especially if the Male's ring is not yet developed.
I have been doing this for the past 6 years and has never been wrong about my IRN sex. This is how i sex my IRN's from about 1 year old.
Yes albino's is sexed the same way.
I have photos of the marks and would love to share it with everyone, but dont know how to get the photos on the site, If any one can help me GREAT!!!!!
This is not related to the color of the bird and all IRN has got the mark.

The male's mark is on the right wing and Female on the left wing.
I need to show you the photos so that you can know exactly what i am talking about. I would love to share this with every one online. This is true and never failed me!

I have a photo of my Female lutino to show you the mark and of one of my young grey Male's ± 1 and a half years old.
Regards Jan
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Jan, click HERE for a link on how to post photos. :)
Jan

Post by Jan »

pinkdevil wrote:Hi Jan, click HERE for a link on how to post photos. :)
Thank you very :D much!!!
Regards Jan
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Jan,
First time I hear about the ink spot and first time I ever hear about right/left side differences between sexes.
Blood marks as angyomes do develop much earlier and they are not sex-side-related. Sex related changes (as the ring neck, changes in head colour in buttercups males, ...) are melanin hormone depending and they will not be visible in lutinos or albinos birds. I would like to read comments of far more experienced breeders, but, to me, IT IS REALLY UNBELIEVABLE.

Post your pics (use the search function to know how to post them)

Recio
ayesha

Post by ayesha »

hi, Jan

would that be the right wing when my bird is facing me?

my blue ringneck desperately needs a companion because he or she is alone during the day until my son gets home from school and i am anxious to get him or her a mate, so i hope to use this amazing tip.

thx,

ayesha
atvchick95

Post by atvchick95 »

Jan wrote:
Recio wrote:

Chow Jan
Hi Jan,

Some questions:

Recio
:D Recio yes we learn new things and way's every day.
Ok the Male has a mark under the right wing and the Female has the mark under the left wing. I call it a ink spot, but is is in actual fact a BLOOD mark. I learnt this from one of South Africa's bigest and best Breeders. This is the best way to sex your IRN especially if the Male's ring is not yet developed.
I have been doing this for the past 6 years and has never been wrong about my IRN sex. This is how i sex my IRN's from about 1 year old.
Yes albino's is sexed the same way.
I have photos of the marks and would love to share it with everyone, but dont know how to get the photos on the site, If any one can help me GREAT!!!!!
This is not related to the color of the bird and all IRN has got the mark.

The male's mark is on the right wing and Female on the left wing.
I need to show you the photos so that you can know exactly what i am talking about. I would love to share this with every one online. This is true and never failed me!

I have a photo of my Female lutino to show you the mark and of one of my young grey Male's ± 1 and a half years old.

Those marks are there because your bird was surgically sexed - meaning a vet cut them open and used a scope to see if it was male or female, then they get a tattoo put in their wing on the corresponding wing - males are on the right , females are the left

I have a pair of blue Quakers who are surgically sexed and tattooed

these marks will NOT be there if the bird(s) have not been surgically sexed