Baby attacked by Squirrel

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

Baby attacked by Squirrel

Post by JimHcctx »

Last night my back door blew open in the wind. A squirrel got into my house and ended up in my tub with my three 40 day old babies. It bit my lutino baby between the shoulder blades puncturing 3 times and also in the breast puncturing one time.

I woke immediately, the babies were really freaked, the lutino bit me so hard I thought it was an adult. I found the wounds immediately, not too much blood considering and stopped the bleeding with quick stop (found out later I shouldn’t have used it on skin), put the baby back on heat, started tube feeding with pedolight mixed with Ornacycline and a dab of peanut butter mixed with the formula. 5 times a day 10 CC.

I have been doing some reading on the Ornacycline, more specifically on the use of a broad spectrum anti biotic and I am not getting a good feeling about this stuff. Is this what I want to be using to fight off potential infection from a bite? And, can anyone think of anything else I need to be doing? 17 hours and the bird is still alive. wings are drooping, lethargic, but will stand up and is responsive.

thanks
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Wow being in the middle east is scary
but this is hard to read, Next time get baking
powder it works like magic. Simply apply
the powder to the wound. Can you post
pictures of the babies.

Are the babies ok!? :!:
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Only one baby was attacked, I managed to keep the bird alive for 20 hours. During that time though, the wounds between the should blades seemed to deteriorate and dry out. black coloration formed under the skin around the wound and then the entire belly turned black as well. I think it was from internal bleeding. I was just about to tube feed the baby, I picked it up and it had some drool in its mouth, it rasied its head just long enough to get a good look at me and then died in my hand. Its body at the time was room tempature desptie being on heat.

Really a shame, becuase it was a really big stocky hen. My favorite of my first clutch of babies :(

Good luck over there! April 24th marks my 30 years in the USCG and retire on July 1st.
Jim H
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Image (alt+p)[/img]

I took this photo right after it happened. This shows the holes between the shoulder blades, I didnt take any of the whole int he chest or when the bird died.

Jim
Jim H
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Damn, I can say animals get a free pass to the
next cycles of life. Wen you get a chance, Can you
post the pictures of your current Ringnecks?