What went wrong?

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

What went wrong?

Post by JimHcctx »

I thought I had this figured out, but the results appear to have proven me wrong.

I placed a Lutino Cock with a Green Pallid hen and was successful in hatching three babies.

Day 19 I note that one babies wings are just bright yellow along with pin feathers just beginning to come though and those forming under the skin. On the other two babies, the feather shafts below the surface of the skin are darker, turning the skin underneath sort of green, the feather tips are yellow, but appear to have green forming in the shafts which look like they are going to become green lacewings.

I had thought when you crossed a Lutino Cock with a green pallid hen you only got visual lutinos with the cocks split to ino.

I also thought if you did the opposite and mated a green lacewing cock to a lutino hen then you would get both lutino's and lacewings out of the nest.

thanks
Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Nope, Pallid is co-dominant with Ino.

If you put an Ino (lutino) cock to a pallid hen, you will get PallidIno cocks and Ino hens.

If you put a Pallid Cock to an Ino (lutino) hen, you will get PallidIno cocks and Pallid hens.

To produce pallid and ino birds of each sex in the clutch, you need to put a PallidIno cock to either an Ino or Pallid hen, doesnt matter which.
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Thanks Fah! wasnt what I planned for, but they are great babies none the less!
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!