First time breeding - Pairing up

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

First time breeding - Pairing up

Post by JimHcctx »

Hello I am looking for thoughts before the season begins to find my best pairing options. I have 11 IRNs.

Blue Cock X Blue Hen (purchased from a breeder as a breeding pair)
Lutino Cock X Lutino hen (Not sure the hen is a hen yet, just 1 year old now, but she is going in the nest box and the 4 year old cock appears to always be next to her and standing outside the nest box)
Grey Pallid cock X Blue Pallid hen* (*related to blue pallid cock)
Blue Pallid cock* X Blue hen (*related to blue pallid hen)
Singles: Brother and sister green pallids born in 2006(no nest box, trying to figure out what to do with them), 1 year old violet male.

I was thinking of swapping out the green pallid female with the 1 year old lutino hen just to ensure a better breeding chance this year, but would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Considering you have two related pallids, and pallid goes really well with ino genetically... it by placing one ino with one pallid, you effectively have two decent pairs.

The Lutino cock to a pallid hen will throw pallid-ino cocks and ino hens, and the pallid cock to the ino hen will produce pallid-ino cocks and normal pallid hens.

Once your Violet male is 2years+ I would simply place him with a normal blue hen, giving you a 50% chance of violet young each season.

Keep in mind, when selling the cock birds, you will want to make sure people know they are pallid-ino birds, and not just normal pallids, as depending on the setup they may choose for the cock bird, they may not want albino / creamino young.
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Fah,

thank you very much for the information. I have beentrying to figure out two things you said; the first being visually will I be able to see a diffrence in the pallid-ino cocks from the pallid birds? and second, how exactly do you make or what is a creamino?

thanks -
Jim
Jim H
Fah

Post by Fah »

Pallid and Pallid-Ino are visually the same to start.... however, when you put a pallid-ino to another ino bird, the pallids produced start to 'fade' in colour. For example, selective breeding of Grey Pallid-Ino cocks to albino hens, and putting their young males to albino hens... each time, their young male pallid-ino bubs get lighter and lighter... you can effectively breed a 'white' male IRN that is actually a grey pallid-ino, with a black ring...

You would not really see a difference between a pallid, and a first generation pallid-ino.

A Creamino is the nickname for a Turquoise Blue Ino (can also have grey in there too).

Creamino is effectively a Turquoise blue, with the ino gene, making those blues turn white... and the greens turn yellow.
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Fah,

If the 2nd generation and beyiond cocks get lighter as they go; is this what is refered to as a Dilute ?

thanks
Jim
Jim H
Fah

Post by Fah »

Nope, Dilute is its own particular mutation.

You will sometimes hear things like 'dark phase' or 'light phase' pallids. Unfortunately you get alot of breeders who dont exactly know what is or was in the birds previous blood lines, a fair chunk of Australia's pallid birds actually have or randomly have the ino gene in the males. This is not because the gene was rare... but because it was a well used tactic to put the pallids to ino's to guarantee all pallid young... so you didnt have to spent the larger amount on two pallid birds. Not so much a big deal... unless you want to make sure you have a pure pallid line.

Various combinations like pallid-inos produce generally lighter coloured birds often called 'light phase'. Particularly dark pallids, or those often to never have had any ino through the pallid generations are often called 'dark phase'.

There are no magical sub-mutations within pallids and pallid-ino's... and the same pairing can throw lighter pallids, or darker pallids. Through selective breeding you can aim towards darker coloured birds, and through playing with the ino mutation you can selectively breed very pale, near white young (random amount of generations really... can take many many crosses to ino birds to produce a white pallid appearance bird).

2nd generation pallid-ino's can still appear as normal pallids, but generally start showing a lighter appearance... each time you place one of their male young to an ino hen... their young should be a touch lighter etc etc...

Pallid hens cannot carry the ino gene, however I have seen a general lighter appearance to them as well as the generations pass... however I have never seen them come slightly close to how pale the males can get.