Moulting

Moderator: Mods

babyika

Moulting

Post by babyika »

Please I'm new to IRN, can someone tell me WHEN they moult ?

please :?
Billit

Post by Billit »

My IRN is currently moulting at the age of 6months. Is this normal? What food should I give to him/her? Please help.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane just finished his molt now at 26 weeks of age.
Make sure your ringneck has cuttlebone for the calcium needed to form new feathers.
Feed veggies with strong colours: deep oranges, reds (no tomatoes), greens, etc. These are higher in nutrients.

The only pale veggie I can think of that is nutritious is culiflower.

Corn is a grain, not a vegetable.
Billit

Post by Billit »

Hi there, I am currently giving my bird a supplement. Nekton-bio..
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=5&pCatId=6177
has anyone used this kind of vitamins before. Can you give me some feedbacks?
I'm currently giving them squash, string beans and green and red chili pepper.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Billit wrote:Hi there, I am currently giving my bird a supplement. Nekton-bio..
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=5&pCatId=6177
has anyone used this kind of vitamins before. Can you give me some feedbacks?
I'm currently giving them squash, string beans and green and red chili pepper.

You are doing a good job with the food choices. I have never heard of that supplement but that isnt to say it is bad or a no-no.

As Melika said, calcium is very imporant now.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Protien is important too, since feathers are basically protien- sorry I forgot to post that. :roll:
Hard-boiled eggs, shell and all provide both calcium and protien, among other nutrients. Try feeding your IRN a quarter hard-boiled egg. No more than one whole egg a week, lol. Less is okay.

Nekton is a very well known and praised company. I believe if you feed enough variety, a lot of veggies and fruits and some seed then you wouldn't need any artificial supplements. A few supplements can be harmful if given too much such as vitamin A, but most will just be excreted if they're not needed.

I only ever used supplements, calcium in particular, for breeding lovebirds that wouldn't stop or wanted to lay a third clutch in a year. Other than that, I've never used them. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ScarletKnight

supplements

Post by ScarletKnight »

that is a good company i have used it a few times before but i believe nothing is better then natural stuff. personal belief but cuttle bone si really really important. i keep one in the cage all the time for kairi but not for the adults. but both m are right. chicken is another thing i gave them a few times in the past.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby is moulting and she looks shhhhh UGLY! My once beautiful, soft baby is now a spiny pale hideous sight. Cant wait for it to be over. She is about 6 months now I suppose. Havent counted on the calendar lately :cry:

I figure youre lucky to know what yr your baby was born much less what day so I consider myself lucky.
~ Mikaela Sky

Billit

Post by Billit »

hi there!

My other ringneck, Jill, is currently molting. She is 5 months old, going 6 months. Her two tail feathers are gone (the one with blue color). I'm giving them squash, string beans, greeen and red pepper (which she like so much).

Her brother Jack, is still molting. How soon will they recover?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I'm not sure when exactly there first moult is but what i do know is here in QLD, they start their moults after the breeding season (around December onwards)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby is in her 6th month and her moult is in full swing.

Her feathers look pasted down, pale, prickly. She is about 3 weeks into it. I am now seeing very soft new feathers daily. She hasnt lost any tail feathers yet.

I can tell that her new outfit is going to be alot prettier and fluffier than her baby clothes hehe. I cant wait to see how she turns out.

My girl started at the very top of her head. Common? She is so ugly she is cute at the moment. Once her head comes in she will look alot better.

I cant seem to get a :arrow: answer as to how long a moult takes so I am left to assume it depends on the bird. I believe Melika said hers was over in a few weeks. It has already been a few weeks and my girl has more weeks to go yet than she already has. So, I to am a bit :? about the whole thing.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Most birds start their moults with the head first, you often see all the pin feathers coming in around the face.
A moult depends on the species of bird, some take a few weeks and some take a few months. My Ringnecks usually take around 2 months.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

2 months sounds ALOT more realistic.
~ Mikaela Sky

Billit

Post by Billit »

2 months? wow! It's been a months since i started posting in this thread. Welll, I have to count another month. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it so much.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane began molting after Tsume and finished before Tsume was done. He preened a lot, took baths, and was scratched and pet to help those sheathes come off the new feathers. It seemed, and was, over quickly. But he also didn't get covered in new pins, they were scattered.

-shrug- He just did his thing.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Billit

Post by Billit »

Billit wrote:2 months? wow! It's been a months since i started posting in this thread. Welll, I have to count another month. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it so much.

Hi there. Allow me to show you my moulting birds.
this is JACK. It's been a month (6 weeks) since he started moulting.
notice the 2 tail feathers which are starting to grow.
And this is JILL. Her feathers started to fell two weeks ago. A lot of feathers are gone specifically at the back of the head. 4 Tail feathers are gone, including the longest (the one with blue color with yellow tip).
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Awww, bless her heart. She is still a pretty thang. She is further along than my girl. This makes me realize she and I have along way to go.

The tail feathers will be missed. Boy, those tail feathers are something, without them they look like little yard birds. :lol:

Thank you for posting those particular pics. I thought my girl was further along and realize now she has only just begun. She is going to get ALOT uglier. :shock:

Did you notice her being more pale while she is in moult? I have noticed that with Baby.
~ Mikaela Sky

IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Hane began molting after Tsume and finished before Tsume was done. He preened a lot, took baths, and was scratched and pet to help those sheathes come off the new feathers. It seemed, and was, over quickly. But he also didn't get covered in new pins, they were scattered.

You should be careful when scratching them during malts. if you break a blood feather then they could bleed to death
longre

IRN moults

Post by longre »

I think the ringnecks moult every 6 months. It seems like at least one of ours (17 rn's) is moulting all the time. They all get scraggly for about the 2 month period, but then look good til the next time.
Bear Long @ HouseofFeathersAviary
Melika

Post by Melika »

IMR4N wrote:

You should be careful when scratching them during malts. if you break a blood feather then they could bleed to death

You can tell when the shafts are ready to come off just by looking. Wing and tail feathers are dangerous to break though. You can stop the bleeding by pulling the feather. Pretty simple to do. Tsume pulled his own tail feather when it broke.

I just don't remember when the two started molting, but I know when they were done. They still haven't lost any tail feathers though.