UPDATE: Please HELP... Jibs emergency and psycho Lola!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

UPDATE: Please HELP... Jibs emergency and psycho Lola!

Post by Lauren »

Well, its now day 28 from when our first egg was layed. I finally got a chance to take a peek last week and she has 3 eggs. I candled them and I cannot tell whats going on inside. They seem very dark and there was a larger 'bubble'. When I first candled them, I saw a vein.. so I assumed fertile. But now its getting quite late and I have a feeling they are not going to hatch. :( She is still sitting on them and guarding them furiously. The last few days she seems very 'busy' scratching around. I even hear her during the night, scratching.

Are they overdue?
When will she abandon them?
How long should I wait and how will I take them from her?
I can tell this isnt going to be an easy task. :(

Being their first time, I knew this was a possibility. But I guess theyve had some practice and I have found out Lola is a girl! :wink:

EDIT: After researching some pics on candling eggs.. I don't even think they were fertile in the first place now! I'm confused! I swear I saw a vein. But now I'm having doubts! I just wish I had enough time to take a pic before mummy bird came back to the room and kicked me out. :shock:
Last edited by Lauren on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I was thinking about how Lola's eggs are coming along... I have no advise as I am not a breeder but just wanted to give you a cuddle ((hug))

and kisses to the Jibster and Lola xx
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

UPDATE

Post by Lauren »

UPDATE: :cry: Lolas been in a furocious mood lately and has started attacking Jibby when she comes out of her box.. about half hour ago, she nipped Jibbys tongue and it bleed. He let me take a closer inspection and it looks like she just scratched it. I made him eat some flour made into a goo as Ive heard this is ok.. Will flour do?!? I knew I should of bought some cornstarch the other day!! I just had a feeling i would need it.
It has stopped bleeding but he is not looking very happy and is growling when I approach him. He hated me puting flour goo on his tongue and now he doesnt want anything to do with me!! I'm so worried! My partner doesnt think its serious. But bleeding birds die quickly!
This is our first real emergency with him in 8 years of having him! I dont know whats up with Lola lately. The other day she grabbed his wing feather when he was trying to come out of the box, he went back in and they were fine. They seem fine together in the box, but she comes out on a rampage! Shes still sitting on her eggs, but I doubt they will hatch. Shes turned on Jibby! What is going on! :cry:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Okay now Im reading conflicting stories on using flour.. its quite confusing.. Hes looking better and is actually feeding Lola now.:roll:. Still a bit cranky though. No blood is a good sign yes? Its too late for the vet but I will ring tomorrow just to make sure.
Sorry for posting this here.. don't know where else to put it.. I still have a problem with Lola and her eggs though. :?

*Thankyou Chamon* Hugs you too* :D
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

being all new to this myself i have no help either i am afraid but wated to know you were being thought of :) i can undrstand your panic casue i know i would feel that way too - good luck :)
TD

Post by TD »

Hi Lauren,

I am in an almost identical situation, minus the aggression!

My hen has now been incubating for about 25 days, so it's now overdue.
I checked her 4 eggs yesterday, and nothing has hatched. I haven’t handled them at all, as mine are aviary birds, not tame and I thought I’d just let nature take it’s cause. The hen is still sitting tight though.
I have gone from feeling anxious, to disappointed. I think that the male may have been too young, even though he’s 2. I’m now thinking ‘maybe next year!’
Cheers
Tim.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well.

Eggs can sometimes hatch later than expected if the temperature was a little low or if the hen didn't start sitting on them until a couple of days after they were laid. However, if the eggs were viable it would be pretty obvious at this point when you candled them.

It's sounds like Lola's hormones are definitely still in overdrive. Pulling the eggs might - and I emphasize might - calm her down after a couple of days. I've never had to pull eggs from a bird who was seriously bent on hurting me but a friend who breeds Senegal parrots suggests using a long handled soup ladle to scoop them out of the nest box.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

Any updates?

Did the eggs ever hatch?
-Justin