Concerned

Moderator: Mods

TiMoThY

Concerned

Post by TiMoThY »

Hi again,

I am becoming concerned with the pair of ringnecks I have. At the moment I have a 3 year old hen and 12 months old cock.
I have caught them feeding each other and the cock on the back of the hen a few times.
Which leads to me thinking it is way too early for cock bird to start breeding? Should I be putting the nest box in ...
I have no idea if it is just one of those stages and just wait until cock is 2 years old?
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hear from you soon.

Warm regards
Timothy
thane

early breeders

Post by thane »

Timothy we also have a young pair lutino fem and green male. Both are, we think, less than two years old. The male is only just showing a faint ring but we have two eggs. Were unsure if they will be fertile but are very excited.

My view is that the info on the net is a guide & they can & do breed earlier or later than advised.
anyway good luck.
new owner of ring necks already the're breedíng very excited but inexperienced.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Timothy!

Welcome to this board and please excuse my lateness. Been really busy with midterms;)

I would not worry about the male being young as a breeder. If the female was a young breeder, then I would be more cautious. Young female Ringnecks can get egg bound if forced or given the opportunity to mate before a year. I personally would wait till she is two years old.

Also, if you feel you want baby Ringnecks, then do add a nesting box. Just make sure you suspend it outside the cage so you can check the status of eggs and incubation.

Most males do not reach sexual maturity until they are two years old; however, the ring is not a way to indicate the male has reached sexual maturity. I have heard and read many articles of young male Ringnecks successfully fertilizing an older hen. So, you never know, your male could be ready to breed. Just do a normal breeding set up and wait.

Hope this helps! :D

Best wishes,

I.C.