mating but no luck with eggs

Moderator: Mods

julie

mating but no luck with eggs

Post by julie »

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with where im located (riverina, nsw ,aust) but my pairs don't start mating till late into the season and don't seem to be producing eggs. The weather has been strange where one day its freezing and snowing up the mountains and the next day pretty warm. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The pair that bred last year wont be breeding this year due to the Grey male and my green male, and the albino hen being stolen from my aviary, so the female has been put with the blue male.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yes it sure has been funny weather patterns.

I am near Orange NSW and this year my pairs have gone down alot later than last year. Last year the first egg was lae July, this year the first egg was late August. Still have 2 pairs that have not laid yet.

8)
TD

Post by TD »

Hi Julie,

I am in Southern Victoria, and our weather has been like that too (nothing unusual in Vic!!) where we are getting cold days mixed in with mild days.

My pair have got eggs, but I never saw them mate, which slightly concerns me as my blue male is still quite young, and my Albino hen is at the perfect breeding age, and was doing all the courting!
I am hoping that she hasn’t gotten impatient with him and layed eggs anyway. I’ll know in 2 weeks!!

I think if yours are mating, then they’re bound to go down soon, it’s only a matter of time.
And I can’t believe you had an albino stolen. That makes me angry!!

Good luck!

Tim
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Hi Julie,

I have a few friends...up you way and they are all over the place with their birds as well. Some with young in the nest and others not yet laid. Our last 4 winters have been mild.....this winter is more like a true winter :roll: if that makes sense. There is still plenty of time left....fingers crosse..... best of luck.....it is amazing what can happen in a week :!:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( Oh I hope they get some eggs soon Julie. Dont know what the weathers like up your way. But Melb has been.. well.. typical Melb weather.. cold, warm, windy, freezing, warm. Dont know how the wild parrots around here seem to cope! :? Fingers crossed your mumma and pappa birds lay some eggs and the new 'couple' get along well for maybe next year. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year