Genetics Help!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

tippy

Genetics Help!!!!!!!!!!

Post by tippy »

Hi, Could some one please tell me what the outcome would be from a Pastelblue Lacewing Cock and a Violet Hen?

Thanks
Melissa.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Melissa,

I'm going to assume that by pastelblue lacewing you're referring to a turquoiseblue pallid and that the violet hen is a single factor violet blue. That will give you the following:

Males:

25% blue split for pallid
25% turquoiseblue split for pallid
25% single factor violet blue split for pallid
25% single factor violet turquoiseblue split for pallid

Females:

25% blue pallid
25% turquoiseblue pallid
25% single factor violet blue pallid
25% single factor violet turquoiseblue pallid

This is a great pairing. You have eight different possible phenotypes (visual outcomes) and you can visually sex the babies as all of the females and none of the males will be pallid.

It's possible, however, that your birds may not be what I've assumed they are. If you have pictures of your pair I can revise the outcome if it turns out your hen is something else, like a double factor violet green. Also, do you happen to know if either of the male's parents were just plain old regular blue instead of pastel blue?

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
tippy

Post by tippy »

Thanks Jim,

Yes that is exactly what you have described. Now i can't wait to see the results. It's our first year with having a voilet....a matured one at that, and we are very excited. Thank you so much with your help.

Very much appreciated.

P.S. I had a go at the gen calc but oh my god it is so hard to understand.

Melissa.
Jim

Post by Jim »

You're very welcome. The trick with gencalc is figuring how to describe your bird's genes in gencalc's nomenclature. It takes some practice.

Again, that is a fantastic pairing you have there. I am EXTREMELY envious that you have a chance to hatch out a turquoise violet male. It's my very favorite IRN mutation.

Do you have eggs yet or are you still waiting?

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
tippy

Post by tippy »

Hi Jim,

Yes we have 2 babies at the moment, 10 days old. Two eggs didn't hatch. We fostered these ones to a basic pair we had and the violet has just laid her 2nd clutch which also consists of 4 eggs. So hoping we are going to get a couple of violets or better. I will keep you informed of the progress.

Cheers
Melissa.