Update on our Lola!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Update on our Lola!

Post by Lauren »

The last couple of days, Lola hasnt eaten much other than Jibbys 'pre love' regurgitation and a few nibbles of seed/fruit/nut mix.
Is this normal for a hen in breeding season?
Im trying to feed her as much vegies and fruit as possible lately, but she wont touch it, when normally she will munch through it all, shes normally a little piggie! I'm finding her vegies are left untouched, then I have to throw them away.
How can I give her the vitamins and calcium she needs right now, if she only eats from Jibby? Or can he transfer some goodness to her through regurgitating?
He eats his vegies as normal, but is being stubborn with brocolli, which I believe is rich in goodness and I particularly want her to eat some!
Do you think 'presenting' her vegies in a different way like a mash would tempt her?
Should I get a water soluble calcium suppliment or cuttle bone?
What do you feed your hens in breeding season?
:?
Sorry for all the questions. Its all new to me. :D

EDIT: Oh and Ive noticed shes lost some down around her butt.. its not as fluffy as normal, and can clearly see her 'hole'. is it normal to see this? Or is she just 'ready'. If you get what I mean. :lol:
Last edited by Lauren on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I always have a cuddle bone in there for my fid. Othere than that, can't help much. sorry :D good luck!!
julie

Post by julie »

get some liquid calcium for her water , and jibby should be able to give her enough food. She may be feeling strange being her first breeding season.
I give mine paw paw/ papaya because it has lots of vitamins and is used for medical reasons in birds too. I also get them things they wouldn't eat everyday like cherries (bit expensive sometimes) corn on the cob and pretty muchly whatever Tiffany is eating at the time.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thankyou.
Well I thought I try giving a mash a go today since she wont touch the normally prepared vegies. I blended up a heap of brocolli, corn and boiled egg and shell into a puree, added some vitamins in water to make it mushy. Then I acted like I was enjoying the beautifully smelling food. Yum Yum! (The smell was.. well yuck! I wouldnt dare eating it. haha) But as usual, they will both dive into whatever I'm eating, no matter what it is. Shes still digging into it! Amazing what preparing food in a different way does. Its like theyve never had brocolli and egg before. lol.
Gotta go out tomorrow get some paw paws and papaya, thanx Julie.
Oh I think shes definately feeling a bit strange. Shes very quiet lately! For once! Its a pleasant change from the normal tantrum throwing, hyperactive, bossy boots! Shes so dosile lately... and Jibby is a quiet bird, so I hardly hear from them both. :shock: Im sure the neighbours are happy. lol.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Lauren wrote:Thankyou.
Well I thought I try giving a mash a go today since she wont touch the normally prepared vegies. I blended up a heap of brocolli, corn and boiled egg and shell into a puree, added some vitamins in water to make it mushy. Then I acted like I was enjoying the beautifully smelling food. Yum Yum! (The smell was.. well yuck! I wouldnt dare eating it. haha) But as usual, they will both dive into whatever I'm eating, no matter what it is. Shes still digging into it! Amazing what preparing food in a different way does. Its like theyve never had brocolli and egg before. lol.
Gotta go out tomorrow get some paw paws and papaya, thanx Julie.
Oh I think shes definately feeling a bit strange. Shes very quiet lately! For once! Its a pleasant change from the normal tantrum throwing, hyperactive, bossy boots! Shes so dosile lately... and Jibby is a quiet bird, so I hardly hear from them both. :shock: Im sure the neighbours are happy. lol.

She might be feeling pregnant. :D They'll both be back to their normal selves after they've raised this clutch.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh it must be tough on the poor girl, being her first time. I thought she'd turn into a monster, but surprisingly shes been more tame and accepting of me lately! I thinking maybe she just doesnt have the energy for being the normal monster she is, Ive never seen her so dosile. Shes also stopped vocalizing.
Shes still not eating on her own, Jibby is feeding her and he went into the box for the first time today to feed her, so she cant be hungry..
But she has started panting and refusing to drink water!! She did have a shower today though, that was all I saw of her today, apart from her poking her head out of the box to check out whats going on. The panting is worrying me right now. I hope this is normal for hens about to lay?
Its been a little cold at night, and we've had the heating on. Today was the first good spring day after a cold winter, we've had sunshine and it was a little warmer, so we wont be puting the heating on tonight. Is heating bad for indoor breeding birds?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh WOW! UPDATE: Just checked the box.. She has layed her first egg!! She also came out for a few minutes and ate some fruit salad made of Grapefruit, Papaya, Blueberry and Pomegranite also had some Brocolli, Corn with mashed egg and shell thismorning!!
It looks like theres another egg on the way, I see a lump! Oh this is exciting. Now we wait and see! :D
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

:shock: 8) Yay go Jibby and Lola!!
-Chamon-

julie

Post by julie »

Congrats. none of mine have laid eggs, I know they have been mating (the neighbours know too) but they have not laid any eggs :?