can someone please pst pic

Moderator: Mods

mvd12720

can someone please pst pic

Post by mvd12720 »

i'm wanting to know what a lacewing lookslike my baby in the wings have white markings on them and i was wondering if he/she is a lacewing the breeder told me that at thimes the parents produce lacewings but i can not fine photos of one
Jim

Post by Jim »

The lacewing mutation is also known as pallid. I don't personally have any pallid birds but Jay - a very knowledgable breeder who is active on this forum - has some pictures of pallids on his site.

http://www.indianringneck.net/MutationPics.html

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Fah

Post by Fah »

It could also very well be a fallow.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... aWorld.htm

In the above link, pic the bird second from the left (the IRN) and click on it. Then at the bottom of that page, you will see a link to "mutations". Click that and it will take you to one of the better sources of descriptions / pics for IRN's.

Things you should look under for your bird are:
Pallid
or
Dom. Edged

We have a few problems with the name lacewing in SA, and im sure there are a few others around who also have this problem.

Pallids are easy to distinguish from normal young as they are lighter in body colour (almost all the time anyway), and have a paler head.

Lacewing is an old, and confusing name... hence why it has been made redundant.

Let us know what it best looks like... also.. a picture tells a thousand words... so if you can let us take a look at it. :D

My guess, if it isnt a pale version of its normal colour, and its head is the same colour as the rest of it, is that it is a fallow... also, by some, called a lacewing by some very old school breeders (or people guessing).

Lets us know what you think it might be :D
Jim

Post by Jim »

The nomenclature issue is a problem outside of South Australia too. It can be really intimidating and confusing to a newcomer who's trying to educate him/herself.

There's a group of people in Belgium and The Netherlands who've taken it upon themselves to come up with standard genetic terminology for a number of commonly kept parrot species. They've determined that there are 19 primary mutations in IRNs and have a standard name for each, most of which are very familiar. The genetics calculator that is often referred to in this forum uses their terminology. Having standard names is great, but they're only useful if most people adopt them so I don't really see any end to the confusion that sometimes surrounds the names of the various mutations. If anyone's interested, however, you can see more at www.mutavi.info

Jim
Fah

Post by Fah »

Cheers for the link Jim, have been looking around for that since the last wipe of my PC heh.
Jim

Post by Jim »

One other thought with regard to identifying your bird. You mentioned the bird's parents in the original post. If neither of the bird's parents showed the "lacewing" mutation then the bird is probably a pallid, as dominant edged would have to be visible in one of the parents.

Also, if your bird is pallid and neither parent was visually pallid then you can be sure your bird is female because the bird's mother would have to be visually pallid to produce male pallid babies.

Let us know what you find.

Jim