Stumped.....????

Moderator: Mods

genngirl

Stumped.....????

Post by genngirl »

I am hoping someone here can help me with this. I am pretty informed on basic mutations, but this has me stumped. I have an Albino unbanded & unsexed that I purchased from a local pet store. At the same time, I also purchased a lutino that was banded. Turns out, the lutino is from the same breeder I had purchased my Grey from at a local bird mart. I had asked if the albino was from her stock as well and she wasn't sure but said it was likely. She told me if the bird is from her, it is definately female b/c her parents always throw blues,greys, and albinos and the albinos are always female (sex linked recessive..I understand that much)...however, the parents are: father=blue and mother=grey. I put this through the gen calc. and did splits with blue, ino, df grey etc..and can't seem to come up with that offspring color combo. Any ideas as to how that would come about? Also, this albino has on more than one occasion "displayed" (clearly..no if, ands, or buts) for my grey and I have no other mature males ..so this behavior has not been learned by observation. Soooo, lol, any insight is appreciated!!

thanks,
Gen
Jim

Post by Jim »

It sounds like the blue male is split for ino. If you set it up on gencalc with the male as a visual blue and split for ino and set up the female as SF grey and blue (birds that appear grey have both the grey and blue gene) you'll get 25% of the female offspring as blue ino, which is albino.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
genngirl

Post by genngirl »

See, now I tried that combo, however it also gives you green with splits and grey-green with splits..the breeder said she only gets blue, grey and albinos. That is what stumped me, I have wondered if the albino is technically a blue mutation masked by the albino gene..how does that sound? I ran through the calculator the father being an albino masked blue mutation and the mother being a SF visual grey blue & split to blue and came up with the blue,grey, and albino (masking blue) trio of offspring. What do you think?

Gen
Fah

Post by Fah »

Indeed, if the parents of the bird were blue and grey, the male would have to be split for Ino for them to produce an albino young, and only hens could be albino.. males could be split for ino, but not visual.

The gencalc works in this manner.

Normal Grey bird = following options in gencalc.
grey (sf) (visual)
blue (visual)

The blue male you are talking about would be.
blue (visual)
ino (x1) (split) if i recall rightly

This would produce:
Cocks: Blue, Grey, and Blue split ino, and Grey split ino.
Hens: Blue, Grey, Albino (blue ino), Albino (grey ino).

The two albino types from the female have an effect genetically not visually... so your girl could be either an Albino with only the blue gene, or an Albino with both the blue and grey genes. You will not know until you breed with it. They have equal chances of being either.

So to clear things up... in gencalc.

Grey birds are visual grey, visual blue.
Blue birds are just visual blue.
Albino blue is visual blue, visual ino.
Albino grey is visual blue, visual grey, visual ino.

The base option is nothing... is green. So choosing just grey and split blue.. is actually a grey green (visual) split blue.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yes, an albino bird is actually a product of two different genes being visually expressed - both the blue and the ino.

Make sure you have the visual blue box checked for both parents. For the male, also check one of the ino boxes in the split column and for the female check the SF grey box.

Jim
genngirl

Post by genngirl »

Ok..I got it now, lol. Thanks for your help guys! My only other quandry now is if she is definately a female..why is she doing the mating dance for my grey??? Strange things these parrots do! There is still the chance that this albino is not from this breeder at all and then all of this research would be in vain..whatever, I'm all about educating myself.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have a female who does the dance too. If you want to be 100% sure you can have her (him?) DNA tested.

Jim
Fah

Post by Fah »

A birds attitude at a young age is highly varied. I have had males act as both hens and cocks, and vis versa in their early years (0-3).

I even have a hen with a solid light grey ring around her neck that has 1) been DNA tested as well as 2) been the mother to 8 birds in two years heh... there are always exceptions to the rule.